Graphics after Update

Sarin

I've bought ASA a few days ago, and I spent more time tinkering with graphic settings than playing. And I still can't clear some issues.

For example, global illumination. Low-no beacons. Medium-jittering of plants and structures in shadows. High or Epic-weird pulsating light, ground and rock textures blurry unless textures set to Epic.

I can't find any way to tune my graphics to eliminate all jittering, jarring transitions, pixel dancing and other such effects. Okay, my laptop isn't greatest, but it IS capable of running the game on okay settings.

Specs: i5-11400H 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 3060 Laptop 8GB, Win11.

Current settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080, windowed fullscreen, 100 scale (been,for some reason, locked today)

Advanced graphics: low

AA: low

View distance: epic (won't get rid of that, ever)

Textures: medium

Post processing: low

Shadows: high (gets rid of some weird shadows in buildings)

Global illumination: medium (need to see the beacons)

Effects quality: low

Foliage quality: low

Blur: off

Bloom: on

Shafts: on

Low light enhancement: on

Foliage and fluid interaction: on, distance multiplier 0.5, distance limit and quantity limit 1 (gets rid of floating rocks, need to set distance multiplier to decent level to make the visible horizon not so jarring)

Footsteps: particles off, decals on

Disable HLOD: off

GUI widget 3d quality: 0.5

console commands: r.nanite.maxpixelsperedge 4 , r.volumetricrendertargetmode 3, r.VolumetricCloud.SampleMinCount 10.

Can someone help optimizing this?

Edited by Sarin

• 2 weeks later...

As the titel above said. after yesterdays update my game is so pixelated its hurting my eyes. it doesn't matter what settings i'm on, Currently im on medium settings with dlss on quality and its heavy pixelated. also before update my frames were 90fps and sometimes dropped to 60 but never below 60.

My Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 10400 @ 2.90GHz
GPU: XV273 X (1920x1080@240Hz)
4091MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 (MSI)
Ram: 32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 3200MHz

PS. i cant upload my full screen shots cus its more  then 400kbs.

• Thanks 1

got the same problem. Pixels everywhere expecially when moving around.
Had a stable 60fps before, now i'm below 40fps.
Do this company want me to stop to play? roger but i wont buy ark2 the same if u cannot even make a proper patch. FIX THIS ! ! !
edit: i'm not your f******* beta-tester ! i spent 40 euro for this

edit2: the command r.ScreenPercentage 100  remove the pixel, but the FPS is still so bad. like 50% performance compared to the patch before

Edited by battlew
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Antonio1122 said:

use command r.ScreenPercentage 100

With DLSS enabled this turns on DLAA.   For DLSS quality mode you should use r.ScreenPercentage 75.   The problem is it looks worse than it did before the last update. In motion there is far more ghosting, and everything is oversharpened.  I'm not sure what the update did to break DLSS but the game looks terrible in motion now, especially when panning scenery.

27 minutes ago, Hixbot said:

With DLSS enabled this turns on DLAA.   For DLSS quality mode you should use r.ScreenPercentage 75.   The problem is it looks worse than it did before the last update. In motion there is far more ghosting, and everything is oversharpened.  I'm not sure what the update did to break DLSS but the game looks terrible in motion now, especially when panning scenery.

yeah and the pixels dont reduce when u put ur settings higher or lower lol.

• Thanks 1

Well i got a RTX 4070 and was able to play Ark Ascended most time in smooth 60 FPS in 1440p with Framgeneration in the last months. Took a break for few weeks.

Now in the updated version...WOW...the visuals got a lot worser, glitchy and uggly. Foliage of trees, grass and so on seems to flicker whenever i pan my camera.

Is that a performance trick to tickle out few more fps? In that case: It is way too obvious and it is visually distracting. Even in the water i can see artifacts in the reflections when panning my camera ingame. When i open large gates, they start to look weird...like there is a grainy noise eating up its resolution and its blurry. Somebody touched the TAA here? Not sure what this is. But if the intend was to improve performance, here is a tip:

Revert it!

Im not having fun picking UHD 60FPS DLSS Quality now and get worse visuals in terms of claritiy and aliasing/flickering than before using 1440p with DLSS Balanced setting.

If you want to offer People with a weaker setup a better performance - do so - but do not take away the visual quality from people with better GPUs...and my RTX 4070 is not the top end as you for sure all agree. At the moment, i prefer the PS5 Version..but that patch is coming soon to that plattform aswell hm? Hope it wont "upgrade" the visuals there aswell. It is really hard to watch and not enjoyable. Aliasing in ARK Evolved was a problem especially on grass and thanks to UE5 and better AA it was gone - now its reintroduced for movement, when panning?

I think this is a really weird and bad decision by the company. If nobody elses has problems like me, may be it is a bug? I was not able to find anysettings to get rid of it. EPIC-Settings and it looks just very unpleasant to my eyes now. Weeks before it was good awesome. Now i cannot stand it anylonger even on epic and 4K.

Any comments about this? Do other experience that aswell or is it just me exclusively?

Greetings.

Edited by Arkolucious
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hixbot said:

I have an AMD video card. FSR is enabled and I use the r.ScreenPercentage 90. The game looks great.

Edited by Antonio1122

This is indeed a major issue.

After the update I was unable to play the game. 

Every time I turn or even look in the direction of my Yuti's the game literally hangs for 1 sec, then goes again, I went from 50 fps to 21.

Game is unplayable at the moment. Game was fine before update.

Wildcard again rolling a dice and seeing what sticks. OMG!!

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Graphics after Update

just to clarify to some commentors above. The performance drop is not just your expensive rx 4090. it's also for my cheaper amd rx 6600. I have lost around 50% fps. from a stable 60fps to lower than 40fps. Also... the command to fix pixels works indeed to fix the pixels but nothing more, Infact it doesnt fix the drop of fps at all.
Waiting for a fix. won't play like that

Edited by battlew

Why was anti-aliasing integrated into the software and made the game visually so bad?
I don't see any stance from you, wildcard, regarding improvements on this. The Ark rework for the new engine was supposed to be about incredible visuals, which simply regressed with the new update (v36.8). Before the update, the Ark's visuals were very well optimized and beautiful, now it has reverted to what it was at the game's launch. We need some stance on this!
Thank you,
Sincerely, the customer.