Community Crunch 393: Simple Game Framework, Oasisaur Concept, and More!

StudioWildcard

welcome_crunch2023-1.png

Hey survivors, we’re back with a few updates and a few new surprises too 😉! Let’s Raptor pounce right into our plans for Jan 31st that will ignite your creativity and fuel your adventures:

Simple Game Framework (ARK Development Kit).png

We’re excited to announce a date for the upgraded ARK Development Kit with an eye-catching side-scroller mod example. On Jan 31st, we’ll be releasing an update to the development kit that provides more ways to bend ARK to your imagination, with features that were previously locked away now at your fingertips!

Here's a work-in-progress sneak peek of our upcoming two-player side-scroller example mod. The simple game framework uses no gameplay code from ARK: Survival Ascended, and has been stripped down to the foundational Unreal classes, so anything you could do in Unreal Engine 5. You'll have the ability to create your own unique games, and they could be released on ARK, changing as much or as little as you'd like!

Custom Cosmetics.png

We're introducing an upgraded cosmetics system, letting players forge their own visual masterpieces for structures, costumes, and more. Best of all, they can be used on any server without the need for the servers to download a mod. It can all happen under the hood of your client, including on Official Servers! So decorate your bases and suit up how you'd like! In a later update, these custom visuals will automatically download in the background while you explore, so get ready to discover fresh surprises on structures, items, and characters every time you venture around the ARK!

Premium Mods.png

Spice things up with our brand-new premium mod initiative, launching on January 31st! These high-quality mods, moderated by CurseForge and Wildcard, look to add a whole new layer of excitement to your ARK experience.

Transfers.png

We had to iron out a few kinks in the server transfer system and move the date back to Jan 31st.  Once enabled, players will be able to download items and creatures onto the map without restriction.

We will also launch some fresh non-transfer Official PvP servers at this time and we’ll share more info on those prior.

ASA_Oasisaur.png

ASA_Oasisaur_WallPaper_2560x1440.png

Download in full resolution

The Oasisaur, a gentle giant of the Earth, stands as a living sanctuary, offering protection and sustenance to all creatures in its vicinity. With its unique ability to create a safe haven, it shields players from environmental threats and hostile creatures, though it offers little defense against other players. This majestic creature offers a beacon of tranquility on this scorching earth.

ASA_ModSpotlight.png

Download & play new custom content created by players, including new maps, creatures, items, and game modes, through a dedicated new Mod-bowser directly within the game. Enjoy an endless stream of new ARK content as the creativity and talent of the community is fully unleashed for the first time across gaming platforms and stay tuned as we spotlight more Cross-Platform Mods each week!

This video features:

lets build.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Are you interested in modding for ARK? Here's your chance to dive in! Our seasoned modding expert, Garuga123will be going live with Overwolf on Twitch to guide you through the creative process.

Bring your questions, enthusiasm, and a thirst for knowledge as we embark on this modding journey together. Don't miss out on the opportunity to learn from one of our most popular modding members.

Mark your calendar for Saturday, January 27, at 10:00 AM Pacific, and let's build something amazing!

Watch on Overwolf or on SurvivetheArk!

ARK_wikiredirect.png

unnamed.png

ARK is now on wiki.gg Redirect! Install wiki.gg redirector to find the best resources curated by the community!

What is wiki.gg Redirect?

wiki.gg Redirect is a browser extension that automatically redirects you from wikis that are abandoned from Fandom to wiki.gg. It will also adjust Google's search results to try and populate the wiki instead of Fandom's SEO.

COMMUNITY_CORNER.png

Fan Art Gallery | Screenshot Gallery | Artist Feedback Form

Help us discover your talent by tagging your art with #ARKPhotoMode or #ARKFanart on social media!

clipsandvideosblue.png

Creator: LolsAtLance

Discover an aquatic marvel in ARK: Survival Ascended with LolsAtLance's Ocean Base Resort, elegantly perched on stilts amid a vibrant coral reef. 

Creator: Jimbob

Jimbob has taken his first steps toward conquering the Abyss!

fanartblue.png

Another Ravager variant by @N4STYR4BBiT

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_@N4STYR4BB

Slow and Steady by BettleKettle

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_BettleKett

Fan Art by runawaymac

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_runawaymac

Sugar Kitty by Mushirra

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_Mushirra_1

Wolf King and Penguin Buddy by Wheatart

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_Wheatart_1

Megalania by 20CMills02

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_20CMills02

Nezuyu's Zayeli by Vahilor

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_Vahilor_19

ARK_photomode.png

Finished building my lighthouse by .isibeal

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_isibeal_19

Even the little critters are looking sharp by nemesisstar

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_nemesissta

Photo Mode by shadowqauntlet

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_shadowqaun

Photo Mode by @LeeCoxall

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_@LeeCoxall

Welcome to the world, little one by @nezulosaurus

large.ASA_CommunityCrunch_393_@nezulosau

Enjoy your weekend!
Studio Wildcard

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Discord: discord.com/invite/playark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Threads: threads.net/@survivetheark
Official Wiki: ark.wiki.gg

View full article

The Oasisaur is MASSIVE. And it flies/levitates ? And it has a... private lake ?!

We're introducing an upgraded cosmetics system, letting players forge their own visual masterpieces for structures, costumes, and more. Best of all, they can be used on any server without the need for the servers to download a mod. It can all happen under the hood of your client, including on Official Servers! So decorate your bases and suit up how you'd like! In a later update, these custom visuals will automatically download in the background while you explore, so get ready to discover fresh surprises on structures, items, and characters every time you venture around the ARK!

I'm gonna stop you RIGHT THERE.

First of all, don't install sh*t on my computer that other players make without my consent, simply because we play on the same server. Just as a rule.

And second of all, there is no way that one player deciding what others have to install in order to render a base will backfire, ever. As we all know, noone in this community is toxic. There will not be rule-breaking content, there will not be attempts to slip in a virus of some sort, nothing of the sort. We're all happy unicorns in the garden of Eden.

Edited by ladyteruki
  • Like 11
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Cryha said:

Oasisaur seems kinna OP... And the fact that it will potentially be tied to the paid Frontier Pack is kinna ridiculous and just makes these packs p2w. The paid packs shouldnt have anything more than cosmetics imo.

Yeah... I thought it'd be a reskin of an existing creature. Like, say, a Hadrosaur with the same abilities as the Iguanodon, for instance. You have a cool unique tame with custom sounds and animations, but it doesn't give you the upper hand.

Wonder how creatures are going to be "acquired", actually. The Oasisaur can't possibly be spawning only for you to tame it, you know what I mean ? That'd break every rule of an online game if no other creature but you can perceive it, and it can't be killed while you try to tame it (that thing is as large as at least 5 Wyverns, it would make no sense !). But on the other hand, it's not like owning the pack immediately gives you as many of an OP creature as you want, of course. So I'm quite note picturing how it'll work.
Say you're the only one on the server who has bought the Frontier pack, can you unclaim the Oasisaur for someone else to claim it ? That's how it worked in ASE... (sidenote : the lovely dino-selling con artists will love this) Or does it disappear the minute you unclaim it, risking for some pretty nasty incidents ? Can it be cryo'd and captured during a raid ?

Am I crazy or was that never explained ? Same as the premium mods' practicality never being explained ? Like, is it possible to see what premium mods are on a server before loading it ? Who is even paying for it between the server owner and the players ? Did I miss something ?

Edited by ladyteruki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

The Oasisaur is MASSIVE. And it flies/levitates ? And it has a... private lake ?!

I'm gonna stop you RIGHT THERE.

First of all, don't install sh*t on my computer that other players make without my consent, simply because we play on the same server. Just as a rule.

And second of all, there is no way that one player deciding what others have to install in order to render a base will backfire, ever. As we all know, noone in this community is toxic. There will not be rule-breaking content, there will not be attempts to slip in a virus of some sort, nothing of the sort. We're all happy unicorns in the garden of Eden.

Wait are you taking about offical? If so, I don't think anything is downloaded as it states no mod downloads required.

1 minute ago, armymp3728 said:

Wait are you taking about offical? If so, I don't think anything is downloaded as it states no mod downloads required.

Both official and unofficial appear to benefit from this technology once it's implemented, according to the paragraph above.
The way it's written seems to say that nothing is downloaded ON THE SERVER SIDE. But there is a download ON THE CLIENT SIDE, since they do say :

It can all happen under the hood of your client, including on Official Servers! So decorate your bases and suit up how you'd like! In a later update, these custom visuals will automatically download in the background while you explore

That makes rule-breaking behavior hard to moderate. If you're on a server where racist content is forbidden, and someone makes, I don't know, a Confederate flag outfit... then admins have no way of blocking that rule-breaking content since it doesn't even pass through their server.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, armymp3728 said:

It sounds like how spray tags worked in half-life. You make an image on your computer and spray paint it on the walls and everyone gets to see it... except it's for making cosmetics for characters and bases. So yes, other players will have to download it, no, it won't be full of viruses - that's not how computers work, but it will likely have some phallic tendencies.

1 minute ago, MeatShield said:

It sounds like how spray tags worked in half-life. You make an image on your computer and spray paint it on the walls and everyone gets to see it...

So you'd say it's more paint than skin ? "Cosmetics" usually refers to skin-like stuff. Yeah if it works like paint I can see how that would not carry a virus indeed. But then... why does it need to be downloaded ?

In ASE did we download something when someone would freehand a paint and we'd render their character ?

Cross-platform lag is almost horrendous, and there are no evo events! No matter how many buffs are fixed, I believe there will still be a lot of bugs when the transfer finally starts. After the emergency repair, the number of people online on the ARK server will drop significantly. what can we do? Wait or the server rolls back!

11 minutes ago, ladyteruki said:

So you'd say it's more paint than skin ? "Cosmetics" usually refers to skin-like stuff. Yeah if it works like paint I can see how that would not carry a virus indeed. But then... why does it need to be downloaded ?

In ASE did we download something when someone would freehand a paint and we'd render their character ?

Yes. The pnt file is located in the save folder on the server in a separate folder, and gets deployed to your client when you get close to that entity. There where also big issues with save corruption due to this if there was a gazillion custom paintings. Hopefully thats no longer an issue

Edited by Fenwryches
  • Thanks 1