Increase Dino Render Distance

sokiexio

Suggestion

I don't know why you have done this to reduce the distance at which we can see the dinos, you can't search for dinos to sift, some of them appear without warning and kill you.
If this is to improve server performance you have achieved this at the cost of worse gameplay.
Put an option for those who want to play like this or leave it as it was.

• Like 3

12 replies to this server topic

Hello,

As many of you know, since a few patches ago, an optimization patch introduced the concept of dynamic render distance to the game. Since then, a lot of people on these forums and in-game have voiced their concerns if this will remain the state of the game for the foreseeable future or if this is a temporary change.

Currently this mechanic completely breaks the game in many aspects which I will detail below. This has been plaguing our servers for weeks and is incredibly hurtful to the enjoyment factor of the game. I am sure many will agree that infrequent crashes or slightly lower performance are much more preferable to not being able to see creatures before they become a threat, or escape from you. On the other hand, these supposed performance changes have really not helped the game stability in any measurable amount as far as I can see.

After this most recent patch, I logged onto the game and with my tek binoculars determined that the render distance was currently... 45 meters. Let me tell you why this is unacceptable. For reference, a giganotosaurus is roughly 40 meters in length.

-Threat detection and hazards: Currently, you can be standing within aggro range of a giganotosaurus, and not be able to see it. When we did the tek cave, only the leading rider in the group could see the wild giga approaching, and it made it very difficult to coordinate and counteract the threat. I can only dread what will happen on scorched earth, if you pick up an egg not knowing where, and how many adult wyverns are flying nearby waiting to pile on top of you. You need to see threats from a distance to be able to react accordingly. Not to mention, currently many players are having problems with the dragon boss being invisible and it is likely because of this;

-Taming: Currently, taming a dino can become a great challenge because it can escape from you very easily when you try to knock it down;

-Severe graphical downgrade for a game that was marketed and sold, a second time for ASE players, with the promise of having an HD experience. Instead, this is a clear major downside compared to ASE, and is very disappointing for players who have machines that can handle the game but have no option to see further than 45m on EPIC settings;

-Dinos on follow, ai dinos, and any related mechanic are NON-FUNCTIONAL. Any time a dino unrenders, they remain static and stop moving. This is very problematic combined with server lag, which makes any dino very slow to respond and don't even start moving until unrendered. keep in mind a giga is 40m long, but unrenders after 45m. This means if it's not a single stride behind you, it stops moving altogether.

For all these reasons, I plead with Wildcard to consider the ramifications of this problem and to please address the issue going forward. This mechanic completely cripples the game, and does nothing to help performance whatsoever. And even if it did, most of us would rather have the lag (which is still around and as strong as ever, by the way). If this change is intended to make the game run better for consoles, then this proves that pc servers moving forward should not all be crossplay by default and that this should only be enabled on crossplay specific servers instead of PC servers where most of our machines can handle the increased render distance.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Wazzamaniac
  • Thanks 2

I agree with you. Now we can't effectively tame or lead dinos (when tamed) because if we get to far they dissappear but if to close we die and it really ruins the nice experience we had previously. I just tested it and at 63m my argentavis derenders and won't render again until 59m this makes it extremely hard to have a PT follow you when they fly in a wide circle and go out of range on their own.

• Like 1

Since Wildcard announced some server performance improvements i realized that everytime the server get to a certain workload, the dino render distance get decreased drasticly. you cant see a dino further then 60m.

- If a tamed dino follows you and the KI cause it to make some circles and he get out of range, you have to go back to render it to make it keep up follow you.

- its nearly impossible to find quetzals because they could fly everywhere and in any different altitudes. And its also hard to find any dino!

- or plz let the dino size scale with the distance. It works for titano and rhynio, so why not for brontos, gigas/carchas and rexes?

Edited by Strikeron
  • Thanks 1

its ridiculous , i spotted a spino,  now these are large dinos ,how it moving away a few feet makes it vanish ?????

how can we hunt dinos ,in a dino hunting game if we cant see them until they are right on top of us ?? 

so as title when is the render range coming back ? and was it changed to a silly low range because of consoles ? if it was shouldnt it be an option depending on hardware limitations and up to the users?

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 5:40 AM, sokiexio said:

If this is to improve server performance you have 

let me finish that sentance correctly , "failed to acheive this as servers performance has gotten worse and worse with each patch"

if im sub 100 ping then why am i lagging / rubberbanding . having delays opening closing doors , inventory 

return dino view distance it isnt helping and or made any difference to server performance ,

Edited by udo

We have another issue caused by low dino render distance now: there are serveral cases where you see a important dino as tuso, alphas or similar. But you cant see the guy who alrdy attacks the dino if he is just a few meters away from that dino. So it happened that several player on our server were fighting against each other and everybody said that he/she was first in killing/taming that dino.

Please WC, let us know that the low render distance is just a temporary solution to provide server stability. Please let the render distance scale with the size of dinos. Large ones spawn earlier than small dinos.

Kind regards

Its abysmally low. I flew around on my argy all day yesterday and had dinos, rafts, buildings etc popping right in front of my face.

Thank god none of the bases or rafts had turrets, because I would have had no chance to react. 

In a game where you and your tame can get instantly shredded by 20 heavys, render distance has to be a top priority. 

Not to mention it makes searching for dinos to tame a huge pain because you are basically forced to fly right at ground level to even have them render, which puts you in turret range.

I specifically remember improved render distance being a dev talking point leading up to release.

Well, where is it?

I suppose Shi needed a new mink coat or something, so WC had to make cuts to the render budget.

• Thanks 4

I'm opening a topic, to ask, please, I would like you to take this seriously and go forward. regarding viewing distance for dinosaurs on oficial servers. The distance from which you can see the dinosaur is very short, please, this ruins the total immersion of the game. It's really bad to play like that.

Those who have more powerful hardware should benefit from this better, while those who don't have it, it's even an option to play the game. But withdrawing from everyone is very bad, a very negative immersion experience.

• Like 1

If any thing I agree too or atleast add Dino render distance to spyglasses when looking through or holding them. It would work fantastically with spyglass mods that zoom. Also when holding or zooming with spyglass mods they should not display any shadowing from trees this would help in the day maybe it would focus more on render distance.

Dear WildCard,

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to reach out to kindly request a small adjustment to the render distance in Ark SE.
While enjoying the experience, I've noticed that the current render distance might be optimized further to enhance the overall gameplay/usage, "it is currently to low" . Increasing it slightly would not only improve visibility but also contribute to a smoother and more immersive experience for all users. " I know it was lowered to help the game for XBOX and PS"
I understand that this request might involve some technical adjustments, and I genuinely appreciate your time and effort in considering it. Your expertise in this matter is invaluable, and any enhancements you can make would be greatly appreciated by the entire community. "Even if its just a dino spawn slider bar that you can lower or raise the view distance your self" 
Thank you

Warm regards,
Survivor of Ark