About the voting policies.

Zhelander23

I just created this account but I've been playing Ark for quite some time. Now it seems that even though I'm a senior player I can't even vote for this event. Why? From what I've read it's because i've never used the forum. My question then is this. Is this small event even for Ark? Or just for the forum?

It feels like this was implemented because famous Youtubers/Streamers used their fame to amass votes and people started to cry but...isn't that also their own power?

They've been playing Ark for quite some time and managed to bring quite a few players and light to the game which in this case means having a following and having more votes. Heck I would even say that Ark has managed to get to this point because of those same streamers, I'm pretty sure that most of the players are latecomers that saw someone else play and thought that the game was fun. Let's remember that when this game came out it was a disaster that wasn't even optimized.

Anyways, the thing is that I've seen the event for a new dinosaur for Ark, entered to vote and suddenly found out that it's not really an event for Ark players, but for survivetheark forum users which was a bit of a bummer.

Heck, most players don't even use the forum except for these event because they use discord...

What is your opinion about that?

To put things into perspective. There are usually around 40.000~70.000 players online and a total of around 14M. Right now the most voted dinosaur has around 650 votes...

Edited by Zhelander23

1 hour ago, DaiRei said:

I felt the same way. I've played fpr a couple thousand hours and sudenly feel like a newcomer to the game xd.

I personaly don't feel this is a proper way to tell if someone is "capable enough" to participate.

Yeah. This was supposed to be an Ark event to let players put their little touch to the game that they love but it feels less like an event for the community and more like something exclusive to the survivetheark forums.

Almost no one uses this site, players use discord and other sites to talk about the game and prepare things. Now because we didn't send a minimun of 100 messages here we're not welcomed to participate in something that should be for every player.

The results speak for themselves. There are usually around 40.000~70.000 players online and a total of around 14M. Right now the most voted dinosaur has around 650 votes... Huge success Ark.

Edited by Zhelander23

Wanted to add my opinion as well. I completely understand not wanting alt accounts to ruin the votes. I have put years into this game and only signed up for forums to put my vote in for the creatures I loved. 

I use reddit and discord to discuss ark and never knew these forums existed until I participated in the vote in January. 

I agree that this is not an ark community vote but an ark forum vote. You have entire submission threads being over run by almost pointless commenting trains just so they can upvote the creatures they enjoy. 

This doesn't add to the community here nor does it give the community overall a way to express their opinion. 

I came back to edit this comment. 

What in the world do you mean there is a limit of 5 posts per day? I was going through and commenting to every submission Individually to give them praise for their ideas so that I could slowly work my way to being able to vote without spamming. 

It will take me almost a month to be able to participate in the contest properly or use the forums worthwhile at all.

What kind of forum forces their community to shut up after 5 posts? 

Edited by PomPrincess

this is bs i have over 20k hours on console and pc and i decide to finally make an acc on here and cant even vote on anything and on top of that my ps4 wont run the game anymore i feel like im getting screwed out of the my money and being punished for no reason wild card needs to fix their sh*t before making 2 new games PATHETIC  

On 6/10/2023 at 5:42 AM, PomPrincess said:

The kind of forum that, at the same time, has failed to provide a propper way to submit a creature without influencers calling for their own niches to pump their very own submissions.

It's not pretty, but I do agree it is something that was pretty much needed.

On 6/9/2023 at 2:14 PM, Wachina said:

I am a member of this forum since 2021 and i can´t vote too, this is just unfair. Forum activity should not be a measure of how much you care about the game.

You're right. It shouldn't. What also shouldn't be is a creature making it to the finals because alt account spamming weirdos can't abide by the community guidelines.

When these contests were created we fully intended everyone to be able to participate in the voting process, as we are fully aware that the more spontaneous and real-time pace of discord means that people won't be using the forums as much. However, a few bad actors have gone and ruined that fun for all of you. Yes this is very much a case of a few bad apples spoiling the whole bunch. Maybe what we've done here and now will make people learn and in the future we can open up voting even to Early Bird users once more.

On 6/10/2023 at 4:42 AM, PomPrincess said:

The kind that makes it so that you don't end up with pages upon pages of spambots, and one that makes it so that people can't just become regular members by spamming nonsensical one or two letter posts in one day.

On 6/12/2023 at 4:27 PM, Eli said:

You're right. It shouldn't. What also shouldn't be is a creature making it to the finals because alt account spamming weirdos can't abide by the community guidelines.

When these contests were created we fully intended everyone to be able to participate in the voting process, as we are fully aware that the more spontaneous and real-time pace of discord means that people won't be using the forums as much. However, a few bad actors have gone and ruined that fun for all of you. Yes this is very much a case of a few bad apples spoiling the whole bunch. Maybe what we've done here and now will make people learn and in the future we can open up voting even to Early Bird users once more.

The kind that makes it so that you don't end up with pages upon pages of spambots, and one that makes it so that people can't just become regular members by spamming nonsensical one or two letter posts in one day.

I completely understand both points of view from this response as well as Vageera above this one. 

A few bad apples can ruin the bunch and any influencers that use their community to win over the game's total community is definitely ruining the spirit of the forums and the vote. 

I just think there has to be a better way to allow the community as a whole to vote for their favorites without locking out 90 percent of the community. I just pray that the top 10 vote doesn't suddenly get locked as well because at that point I honestly believe the influencer spam votes will be the only true winners moving forward. 

Thank you for your response but I really hope an alternative can be found besides just locking it to activate forum members only. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 7:42 AM, PomPrincess said:

I came back to edit this comment. 

What in the world do you mean there is a limit of 5 posts per day? I was going through and commenting to every submission Individually to give them praise for their ideas so that I could slowly work my way to being able to vote without spamming. 

It will take me almost a month to be able to participate in the contest properly or use the forums worthwhile at all.

I also came here to do this and it's infuriating. I've had this account since 2016. I'm obviously not a bot but here I am

On 6/15/2023 at 4:04 PM, PomPrincess said:

I completely understand both points of view from this response as well as Vageera above this one. 

A few bad apples can ruin the bunch and any influencers that use their community to win over the game's total community is definitely ruining the spirit of the forums and the vote. 

I just think there has to be a better way to allow the community as a whole to vote for their favorites without locking out 90 percent of the community. I just pray that the top 10 vote doesn't suddenly get locked as well because at that point I honestly believe the influencer spam votes will be the only true winners moving forward. 

Thank you for your response but I really hope an alternative can be found besides just locking it to activate forum members only. 

I understand why Ark wants to cut down on newly created accounts used for spam, but a lot of the newly created accounts are genuine.
My bestie and I play ark but I’ve been playing for longer so she never needed a forum account until the votes started coming in. She didn’t even vote in the first two because she felt she didn’t know enough about the game to be invested, but now that she is she’s disheartened she can’t vote. 

What is the point in signing in linking your steam account or Xbox account if that can’t “prove your worth” enough to vote? If someone has 200+ hours in Ark it shouldn’t matter how little they’ve spent on one part of your community platform! Like many here I don’t even visit this site unless it’s to read community crunches or vote in creature submissions.

There should’ve been a cut off date, like if you’ve been a member since Jan 2023 you’re no longer considered a bot or something. Then they could’ve put the new rules into affect for any new accounts after that. This is frustrating.

Creature submission votes are my favourite part of this community lately, they show off everyone’s creativity and I adore how much thought goes into every post. I’m actually one of those who takes the time to read the full post because they are genuinely interested. But now I feel purposefully shunned because I have a full time job that doesn’t allow me to spend my free time browsing forums on one site all day.

WC please do better. 
Signed, a vet tech who wish she had been alive long ago to be a dinosaur vet  (although let’s be honest I’d probably have gotten eaten 🤣)

Me either I was suffering from bad internet that day so I can't logged on computers, After few thing I've tried find ways to logged in but I failed, even connecting with chrome.(actually I can't link with minecraft site too). After that I come up witabout h an idea to link with a phone. I succes on connecting site on the phone takes too much time from it with using 2G rate plan, But I cannot connect either. It takes so long from it. One think come up with from it How about making alt account Is it faster than logged in from it? So I've tried it as a test, but It won't (I've wating about 30 minuits) works. So I've turn offed the phone. After that I've send a message from wildcard about alt account policies. In those days I don't  acknowledge the rules, so It's my fault. However, I think suddenly block thevote is too excessive. Even with there's no notification from it.

On 6/12/2023 at 2:27 PM, Eli said:

I do not know how well they work as I no longer deal with Invision products, but multiple account detection plugins. 

Not sure if it is possible with other API, but with the Steam API you can check what games are owned by people when they link their Steam account, which could have been used to validate votes. Obviously, someone who wants to rig votes could purchase licenses on multiple accounts, but it still is better than restricting voting the way it has been.

12 hours ago, Seiichi said:

I do not know how well they work as I no longer deal with Invision products, but multiple account detection plugins. 

Not sure if it is possible with other API, but with the Steam API you can check what games are owned by people when they link their Steam account, which could have been used to validate votes. Obviously, someone who wants to rig votes could purchase licenses on multiple accounts, but it still is better than restricting voting the way it has been.

Thing is, console players do not have Steam accounts so that would only work for (part of the) PC gamers.
I know CDPR is using a system that links a game to your GOG account even if played from console but this is too much to ask from ARK since WC does not own any online shop like CDPR does GOG.

And to be fair, It's not likely I would like to register with all my accounts to any shop linked to Snail.

On 6/10/2023 at 8:56 AM, paradox481 said:

I have been playing the game for many years and didn't even know that this forum exist until I saw a youtube video about the event. LOL

This forum is what WC redirected you to for help for many years. It was also mentioned on the opening menu in the game for many years. registering here was needed to contact customer support. That being said, I remember the struggle to find any help when I just got in to this game.

Sorry you missed this but it also means you did not need to contact customer support, wich is a good thing.

13 hours ago, MMaas said:

Thing is, console players do not have Steam accounts so that would only work for (part of the) PC gamers.
I know CDPR is using a system that links a game to your GOG account even if played from console but this is too much to ask from ARK since WC does not own any online shop like CDPR does GOG.

And to be fair, It's not likely I would like to register with all my accounts to any shop linked to Snail.

I used Steam as an example as I am most familiar with their API, but there is one for PSN and one for XBOX as well. Epic may have one that offers the same functions, but Switch likely doesn't at all.

The data you would pass on is actually very minimal, and no different than if you have a public account. The only difference is you choose to give out the data, rather than it being given out by a company that sells it for marketing purposes.

It is still a much better solution than a poorly explained limitation that just creates frustration and encourages spam.

Edited by Seiichi