Koolasuchus, Icy Hunter.

Apache325

Suggestion

In case the frozen pools of Ragnarok didn’t already have enough reasons to be avoided as is, these strange Antarctic amphibians can now be encountered lurking below the surface. Dangerous ambush predators, Koolasuchus hunts by squirting streams of freezing water at their targets, slowing them, and inflicting hypothermia in survivors before retreating to their icy dens, content to wait until their prey succumbs to the environment. When tamed these large amphibians can be harnessed to cool their rider, protecting them from high temperatures while chilling enemies to the bone.

Kool.jpg

Edited by Apache325
not native to the arctic lmao i was a fool
  • Like 1

26 replies to this server topic

Introducing Koolasuchus!

I’ve submitted this creature a few times before, but this one has been revamped and almost entirely reworked from my previous iterations to make it unique among the other semi-aquatic Ark creatures, and balanced (I hope) around vanilla gameplay while still adding some new, unique gameplay mechanics that I hope you all will like!

koolasuchusdossier_Abberation.png?width=

Dossier:

Common Name: Koolasuchus

Species: Koolasuchus titanus

Time: Early Cretaceous

Diet: Carnivore

Temperament: Aggressive

Wild

These colossal amphibians lurk in the swamps and rivers of the Ark in search of food for their endless appetite. Because of their size and stature, this means that just about anything small enough to fit in their jaws is potential prey.

Because of its amphibious nature, Koolasuchus, much like many modern frogs, breathes through its slimy, mucus-covered skin. This allows it to breathe both air and water, however, this mucus can dry out if it remains on land for too long.

This mucus-covered skin has the side-effect of making Koolasuchus immune to the traditional tranquilizing methods. Instead, I have observed some survivors utilizing narcotic traps and grenades to release a gas that the Koolasuchus absorbs through its skin, causing it to fall unconscious and become tameable.

Domesticated

Because of their absorbent skin, some more technologically advanced tribes have created an alchemical saddle that can adapt this mucus to various different liquids and substances around the Ark. I’ve seen Narcotic fueled Koolasuchus that can knock out even the strongest tames with a few bites. Some braver (or stupider) survivors have given them Beer which makes them even more powerful, as long as they have a continuous supply…

Being amphibians, they must breed underwater, and the young tadpoles must stay underwater for the majority of their growth to adulthood.

Gameplay:

So to break down what the dossier explained a bit better and explain how it might function ingame, here’s the concept that I’ve come up with.

As the dossier stated, tranq arrows and darts have no effect on Koolasuchus. Instead, narcotic grenades and tripwire traps are the only way to build torpor on it to knock it out. Once it’s unconscious, it is a standard carnivore tame that uses Exceptional Kibble.

The drying out idea, at least how I imagined it working ingame, would mean that Koolasuchus can only spend a certain amount of time out of the water. Maybe 5-10 minutes by default. Or maybe it's connected to the oxygen stat in some way. Always open to people’s ideas. Once this timer runs out, it would start taking damage, be heavily slowed and sluggish, and deal reduced damage, similar to Megalosaurus when it has max sleep debt.

Koolasuchus’ Saddle would be fairly late-game. I imagine that it has some chemistry bench functionality/crafting built in so maybe level 82, the same as the Chemistry Bench. It would be crafted at a Fabricator, and can be equipped with ONE of the following at a time:

• Water (Default): Koolasuchus can stay out of water indefinitely without worry of drying out, unless the saddle runs out of water.
  • Narcotic: Bites do a large amount of torpor damage, however the Koolasuchus is more sluggish and slow
  • Stimulant: Koolasuchus is immune to any narcotic effects, slightly faster, and cannot run out of stamina, however it dries out 2x as fast while on land.
  • Lesser Antidote: Koolasuchus leaves a trail of slime on the ground behind and next to it, healing allies and dinos slightly when they step in it.
  • Oil: Bites coat the target with an oily substance that will ignite and do fire DOT when hit with fire (fire arrows, wyvern breath, etc.)
  • Bug Repellant: Reduces the aggressiveness of insects and other related creatures towards the Koolasuchus, and gives it a 2x damage multiplier against them.
  • Beer: For as long as there is beer in its inventory, the Koolasuchus will receive increased Attack damage and slightly reduced incoming damage, with reduced stamina and increased stamina drain. if there is no beer in its inventory for more than 5 minutes, it will receive the Beer Debuff for 5 minutes before returning to normal.
  • Element: ???

Koolasuchus can also be fed Medical Brews and Energy Brews in the same way that the player can.

KoolasuchusSaddlesDossier.png?width=1044

Abilities:

Lmb: Bite. Standard bite attack with a large range.

Rmb: Grab. Koolasuchus picks up a creature in front of it, if it is within range, and begins to chomp down on it, doing DOT based on its Melee %, and draining stamina. If Koolasuchus runs out of stamina, the creature is dropped on the ground. In addition to this, much like Tropeo grab, a creature that is being ridden (or a player) can attempt to escape. If the Koolasuchus reduces the creature to 0 HP, it is swallowed whole, healing the Koolasuchus based on the max health of the creature, and transferring all harvestable resources and any items in its inventory directly into the Koolasuchus’ inventory. Koolasuchus CANNOT Bite and has incredibly reduced movement speed while it has something grabbed in its mouth.

C: Tail attack. A rear-facing tailwhip attack that does less damage than the standard bite attack, but more knockback.

Ctrl: Roar. No damage, 

Utility:

Koolasuchus can fill a variety of niches for you and your tribe with its extensive utility depending on what you infuse into its saddle. Statwise, I imagine it's somewhat comparable to a Megatherium or maybe an Allo. With the right buffs paired with their ability to consume medical brews, I could maybe even see them being used in certain boss fights. Bug Repellant infused saddles make them contenders for the Broodmother fight, and Beer infused saddles allow them to possibly take on some of the stronger bosses, as long as there is water in the arena! 

Their Oil and Narcotic infused saddles could give them some more tactical PvP use as well, and their Antidote infused saddle, while not as strong as a Daeodon healing buff, gives them some more defensive utility.

Outside of combat utility, they could be used in caving, taming (keep an eye on the HP of the creature you’re taming however!), and general crossmap travel and adventuring!

Conclusion:

I hope you guys enjoyed this concept! I’ve been working on it and tweaking it for a few months now making it as interesting and unique as possible. I see a lot of dossier concepts for Koolasuchus and other amphibians that look really cool but where they could very easily just be switched out with any generic extinct crocodilian like Deinosuchus or Purussaurus and still function pretty much the exact same. My goal with this one was to make a concept that could ONLY fit a giant amphibian like Koolasuchu. Which is why I used real life concepts like frogs breathing through their skin (yes frogs really do breathe through their skin…) to make it as unique and different as possible, and giving it that slight fantasy Ark twist to fit in with the wonderful world that Wildcard has created. I hope that you guys vote for this suggestion, and Koolasuchus finally makes it ingame, given that Koolasuchus, along with Gorgonopsid and some others, was originally planned to be added to Ark at some point and even has concept art done for it, but was unfortunately scrapped. Let’s give Amphibians some more love in Ark!

KoolasuchusOriginalArt.jpg.37f0d0ded498dd6f131b817a2c2079bf.jpg

(Original Concept Art)

Edited by RexxMain
  • Like 1

Common name: Koolasuchus

Species: Koolasuchus Caementus

Time: Cretaceous

Diet: Carnivore

Temperament: Ambushing

koolasuchus.jpg.fde31baf210c7f35a8d8a4a2b7849f37.jpg

This dossier is made by me, also sorry for bad quality (only let me post 400 kB)

Wild:

Koolasuchus Caementus is the largest amphibian on the island and also the most gluttonous creature i have seen so far in the ark, sporting sizes of those of spinosaurus. It inhabits the freshwater areas of the island, being more commonly found in rivers where it ambush his preys..... These creatures stays buried in the riverbed almost all his life. Being the only sign of his pressence a column of bubbles that emerges from the riverbed. This titanic amphibian eats his prey whole, the creature opens his maws so quickly that it causes a vortex of water that leads his preys directly to his mouth. Like moderns abyssal fish Koolasuchus Caementus can double or triple the size of his stomach in order to eat preys that are even bigger than him, this sometimes leads to koolasuchus sofocating due to the extreme size of his prey.  These creatures are so gluttonous that they eat everything that gets in his way, causing them to eat valuable resources, armors, weapons, etc.... Some survivor hunt them to get these valuable resources.

Domesticated:

When domesticated Koolasuchus Caementus proves itself as an excellent siege and support creature. It can swallow allies to save them from dangerous situations or, it can swallow enemy mounts or survivors!!!, but this incredible ability comes with his drawbacks, if Koolasuchus has swallowed an enemy or a ally, it becomes sluggish and more susceptible to damage. Also Koolasuchus can fill his stomach with acid and then it can shoot that acid as a mortar, disolving through metal structures and gear. But as said, Koolasuchus Caementus comes with probably his biggest drawback, Koolasuchus has to be wet most of the time or his skin will become fragile.......

Now lets explain everything in detail:

Taming:

Koolasuchus can be found in rivers and is a passive tame, the only sign of his pressence would be a colum of bubbles that emerges from the riverbed, in order to make Koolasuchus emerge from the riverbed you will have to carefully place honey in front of him, or you will ruin the taming (i will explain this later), when Koolasuchus has emerged from the riverbed it will start to swim around, sometimes it will open his mouth, is then when you have to swim to his mouth and feed it with his favourite food honey or prime fish meat (I haven't deciced yet), after sometime you will have a tamed Koolasuchus.

Now i will explain the two states of wild Koolasuchus:

- Aggresive Mode: If you come to close to Koolasuchus when is buried in the riverbed, it will start attacking you, so you have to be extra careful when placing honey in front of him, when Koolasuchus is aggressive it can't be tamed, this means Koolasuchus will not reset, and will be aggressive for all eternity, disabling taming forever. But when this state is activated, Koolasuchus will drop valuable resources when killed like said in the dossier (The rarity, number of items and the value of the items will depend on Koolasuchus level).

- Taming Mode: This state is activated when Koolasuchus have been unearthed from the riverbed with honey. As said Koolasuchus will start to swim around the area opening his mouth casually, letting the survivor to feed it and tame it.

Fragile Mode:

This state is activated when Koolasuchus dryes, the survivor will know the humidity of Koolasuchus thanks to a bar similar to giganotosaurus rage bar. When the bar reaches 0, Koolasuchus will dry, making it more succepteable to dmg and torpor, also slowing it greatly. You can recover humidity by going in water with Koolasuchus. But thanks to Koolasuchus special saddle you can carry water like a canteen, waterskin or water jar. This specialized saddle lets you carry great amounts of water that can be used to hydrate Koolasuchus when needed. This saddle lets the survivor rehydrate Koolasuchus up to 3 times.

Abilities and attacks:

- Left Click: Bite

- Right Click: Swallow, Koolasuchus will swallow one enemy or ally, when Koolasuchus has swallowed anything his stomach will expand making him more vulnerable to all sorts of weapons and attacks, and also slowing Koolasuchus. If Koolasuchus swallows an ally, the ally will be save in Koolasuchus stomach, preventing it from receiving any damage (maybe it also heals allies inside his stomach???), to regurgigate the ally right click again, the ally can also free himself by clicking multiple times. When Koolasuchus has swallowed an enemy, the enemy inside Koolasuchus will start to receive damage gradually, the only way to scape Koolasuchus stomach is by punching from the inside of his stomach, when enough damage is deal Koolachus will regurgitate the enemy. Koolasuchus can also swallow allied and enemy mounts.

- Space bar( Mortar mode): Koolasuchus will fill his stomach with acid, making it more vulnerable, and preventing it from moving. When this mode is activated, the rider of Koolasuchus will be granted a bird's-eye-view (like exo-mek). When this is activated Koolasuchus can launch acid balls to a determined position, making tons of damage to metal structures and gear, this attack is also capable of damaging tek structures. To cancel mortar mode press space bar again. To not make mortar mode OP in offline raiding (credits to Mangost for the idea) I've thought of two ways to make Koolasuchus fair for everyone, the first way would be that in order to shoot acid balls Koolasuchus would need a new item called Koolasuchus acid, this item would be passively generated inside Koolasuchus inventory each 30 minutes or so, this item would be stackeable. The second way would be that for each acid ball that Koolasuchus shoots it would lower its food stat, something like daedon with healing allies.

- Pressing C(Acid ball and acid pool): When pressing c, a bar will start to fill, when filled totally Koolasuchus will fire a short distance acid ball, that deals less damage than mortar mode. If this ability is cancelled while charging Koolasuchus will make an acid pool around him, preventing melee enemies or mounts to attack him.

Here we have some old sketches and concept art of Koolasuchus Caeementus, this led to the dossier at the top of the submission:

Koola.jpg.749b4ca91adaa41119a6b094c6460e88.jpg

And thats my submission for Ragnarok.  I think we need more amphibians in the game, right now we only have two amphibians in the game (diplocaulus and beelzebufo), and i think a giant powerful amphibian would be a neat addition to the game. I based his design and colors on carpet sharks.

I like this a lot! I like the unique taming method, where if you bother it buried under the mud it'll attack you like you're food, but once it's been coaxed out with food it can be passive tamed. I also enjoy the idea of it having a weakness, but a solution that isn't OP to that weakness. It looks very cute, too. 

The prehistoric salamander from the cretaceous period Koolasuchus. This salamander is much larger than any amphibian today. The Koolasuchus would have two forms you could obtain: a fully matured version that is rideable and large as well as a juvenile version that can stay young and small and work as more of a shoulder pet. The young and mature forms are inspired by the axolotl as in less than ideal conditions it can mature further than its natural state. This creature would have a number of abilities between its two different forms such as secreting its toxic slime, immunity to certain affects(stun, poison, and electrocution), insulation, fast swimmer, and mobile mortar and pestle.

Taming would be different depending on which version of the salamander you prefer. The larger of the two is obtained with a method similar to a deinonychus where you steal the eggs or spawn and avoid the parents in order to hatch and raise the creature yourself. The smaller of the two would be passively tamed and prefers fish as its food choice in contrast to the chitin the larger prefers to eat.

I made the dossier, sorry this is the best quality I could get.

Make sure to reply with other suggestions for this creatures abilities, mechanics, features, etc.

2B1D29DD-F8C8-451C-B95D-FF82CF9C46CF.jpeg

Edited by zairewallace

This post seems to be popular comment wise. Here's my take on our slippery friend:

Common Name: Koolasuchus

Species: Koolasuchus cleelandi

Time: Early Cretaceous

Diet: Carnivore

Temperament: Neutral

Wild

One of the largest amphibians of its time, Koolasuchus cleelandi preyed upon anything that could fit in its wide mouth. Though it has a bit of competition with other water-dwelling species such as Kaprosuchus and Sarcosuchus, it makes up for their similar feeding style by having an additional method of catching prey: suction feeding. In the water, Koolasuchus can inhale several fish at a time and swallow them whole if the opportunity arises, giving it an edge with catching prey before its competitors can.

Though it is an ambush predator, it won’t attack Survivors unless provoked. However, Tribes living in the swamps should be wary if they have hatcheries out in the open, as Koolasuchus like to swallow eggs and babies whole.

Domesticated

A tamed Koolasuchus can be a huge benefit for fishing tribes as they can suck in numerous fish and hold them in their mouth as they move them to a fish pen, making them perfect for basketing fish. Their favorite diet are Leeches as well, which is a stable bait for fishermen. If your tribe needs to be inconspicuous, the Koolasuchus can even capture opposing tribe’s babies and eggs and make a clean getaway in the water.

Details

ARK is in desperate need of more amphibians. And Koolasuchus is the perfect candidate! In the wild it will primarily feed on smaller creatures and fish it can get its jaws on and has the ability to suction in multiple fish like a vacuum. They will also prey on baby dinos that are small enough and even eggs, so definitely keep yours away from the water at all costs.

They are a knock-out tame, but may be challenging to keep down, so bring lots of tranqs and Leech Blood, their favorite food. But once tamed, they can be a great Leech harvester. They can also vacuum up several fish at once and hold them in its mouth as you move the fish to a new location, which is perfect for putting fish in baskets (especially for Shadowmane tames). And like the Maewing, it can capture enemy tribe babies and even eggs and make a clean getaway in the water if no one is looking.

If anyone has any other thoughts, feel free to comment below!

Sources

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koolasuchus

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, Flutox said:

Hey @RexxMain and @Apache325, so if koolasuchus end ups winning (which i doubt), what iteration of koolasuchus wins?, i mean now theres like 5 iteration of it in the subthreat

If a creature wins, Wildcard will determine what features, abilities, and attributes an implement creature will have.

Per the rules, there is one submission per creature.  By combining them, we combine the unique votes, and centralize support for the creature.

It is up to those that want to submit different version of the creature to either work together or present the idea as-is.

48 minutes ago, ILikeReptiles said:

Dossier?You call it a dossier?What the..... is that?Bro there is actually Dossier Template and Photoshop for you.

ILikeReptiles, this dossier is really old, its from a time where i didn't have a graphic tablet so i did the dossiers by hand. Also, this creature has been in every creature submission to date. My next submission will be drawn by hand, and expect it to be a giant amphibian. This creature end ups always in a subthread due to the popularity of koolasuchus, so the next giant amphibian will be a more obscure one. Also, who the heck do people submit their creatures so fast?, when i woke up there was like seven pages worth of submissions.