Will ARK 2 be a Flop or Hit ?

SeaJay

well personally I expected that they would give a continuation to the story following the basic ark game mode but with the UE5 graphics, but now with ASA I wonder what they will do to differentiate ARK II from it, maybe a more defined story mode improvements in the game mode, in conclusion I have uncertainty about what will differentiate ASA from ARK II.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My point is that they're making a new game, and it sounds awesome. Souls combat, modifiable weapons, realistic animal behaviors, and so on. I know there's always a possibility of disappointment, but my point is that it sounds like an awesome game.

Here is why:

I was having a discussion with my friends when ARK ll first got teased, and we were discussing the possibility of a new combat system. And I literally said that what would be nice was if they could go for a more “souls-like” direction. So when the Steam page got released and the description for the game got revealed, I naturally got very hyped. (And surprised over how accurately my wish for souls-like combat was delivered in the description.)

Now, I understand that a lot of people are very afraid of the game going down this path, combat-wise, but I want to assure you not to worry.

Of course, ARK ll shouldn't be a direct Dark Souls copy. But there is nothing wrong with taking inspiration from one of the most successful combat styles in videogames to make a game better.
One of my biggest issues with ARK l, is the combat system (at least melee-wise).
Almost no amount of skill is needed to decide whether or not you will win a battle. It’s all about having the best stats and then tanking the enemy until you defeat it. Just think about boss battles. All you do is go over to them, tank them, and keep on attacking until you kill them or get killed yourself.

But now, with something more like a souls-like combat system, that will all change. I’m personally a big fan of souls-like games, and I recently had the big joy of enjoying Elden Ring. Now, I do think ARK should be depicted as something far from a souls-like game, but when it comes to the combat, I’m all down for it. And I know some people who don’t like souls-like games are even further against this new combat system, but relax. What we exactly need is a combat system that is 50% based on the player's skill at the game and 50% based on the player's stats, equipment, and so on. Now, I don’t know how they are going to transfer this souls-like combat style to dino-mounted fighting, but I am very optimistic.

Let’s make a scenario for comparison. In ARK l, you are a low-level noob who just spawned on the island. Suddenly, unprepared and almost without any equipment, a raptor senses you and starts chasing you. What happens then? Well, unless you get the opportunity to outmaneuver the raptor (based on the terrain and obstacles), you are pretty done for it.

Now let's take this scenario in ARK ll. You just spawned in and are faced with this dangerous raptor. You don’t have any equipment, so your survival chances are pretty slim. But you have a chance. If you are skilled enough, you can dodge the raptor and evade it long enough to throw some punches and so on. So while your equipment would have a huge part in you winning over this raptor, it doesn’t mean that you are screwed without it.

Besides, a battle that isn't just spam clicking is sure to be more exciting, fun, epic, and exhilarating to experience.

Remember though, that this is just a hypothetical situation, and who is even to say that the combat in ARK ll would work exactly like that? I just imagine something in that style.

Of course, you shouldn’t be able to defeat something like a T-Rex at a low level without any equipment. There needs to be a point where you can’t solely rely on your own skill to defeat opponents in the game. Like, in soul-like games, it’s often possible to beat the whole game without changing equipment or leveling up once, and I don’t want that for ARK ll.
Now, with that said, I am still very hopeful and excited for the new combat system in ARK ll.

Now, when it comes to the “third person only”, I’m a bit mixed in my opinion. I have always preferred first-person in ARK l over third-person because it makes it more immersive for me. But on the other side, I am aware that a souls-like combat system will work best in third person, one hundred percent. And I know they said, “You can just mod it, so don’t worry about it”, but why don’t they just add the option themselves then? Yea sure, the new combat system may be more funky in first-person, but then you can let people decide for themselves if first-person is worth it with this new combat system or not. Just give people the option. One of the most iconic things that players of ARK l all remember is waking up on one of the Arks, looking at their implant, and scratching it on their arm IN FIRST PERSON. So yeah, it may be bad paired with the new combat-movement system, but at least give people the choice to experience it without relying on some unofficial mod.

Many of these new promised features are some that many people have whined about, but guess what? ARK ll is not ARK l. You can't expect a sequel to just be a remake of the original game. Now, Wildcard has been so generous to make a remake of ARK l, for all the people who are unsatisfied with what ARK ll aims to deliver. (Talking about ASA, of course.)

Currently, there is much hype for the release of ASA, but I'm honestly much more hyped for ARK ll getting released.

So if you don't like the idea of ARK ll, then just play ARK l or ASA.

Overall, the “third person only”, is the only thing that really annoys me a little bit about the description for the new game, but other than that, everything looks very good and wonderful (if the game itself can truly live up to the description). My hopes are definitely up, and I trust the developers to make the right calls based on all their experiences with the last game and all its DLCs.

All of this to say that I think people should be a little more optimistic about ARK ll, and the new mechanics and changes.

But tell me, are you more hype for ARK ll or ASA?

Edited by TheDrunkRaptor

My concern with Ark 2 being third person, is that it might not feel as immersive as ASE.  I like looking at my Dino’s face to face in first person mode, it gives it a more realistic feel.  And when I’m playing pve, taming a Dino, do I need to worry about being attacked by an AI tribe as well as the wild Dino’s? Seems like overkill, I’m already stressed enough looking over my shoulder, lol. 😆 

• 2 weeks later...

Probably flop initially. It really depends how they leverage a more primitive souls-esque experience with what we know of ARK. I like the focus on primitive survival and real-world creatures personally, but that's not enough for me to want to jump at the game if it deviates too heavily. We don't even know if there'll be multiplayer, for example.