Mating range distance

ARKinadium

1 hour ago, ARKinadium said:

Why is there such a big difference in mating range between single play, and a server? On a server you can mate a dino up to about 8 blocks away, on single player you get maybe 2 blocks. Is there a variable we can set in the .ini to change this?

Dunno specifically, but worst case scenario you can do a breeding ring...put the male in the middle, and surround him with females.....should be able to get 8-10 dinos together to breed at once this way

5 hours ago, ARKinadium said:

Why is there such a big difference in mating range between single play, and a server?

On a server you can mate a dino up to about 8 blocks away, on single player you get maybe 2 blocks.

Is there a variable we can set in the .ini to change this?

what dino specifically are you trying to mate?  on official, not all animals have the same radius on mating.  Some 2 blocks, some more.  I usually can do a floor above and a floor below my male including the ring right around him on same floor, should be able to get almost 3x as much.

4 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

what dino specifically are you trying to mate?  on official, not all animals have the same radius on mating.  Some 2 blocks, some more.  I usually can do a floor above and a floor below my male including the ring right around him on same floor, should be able to get almost 3x as much.

Any dino, they have literally half the breeding range on single player as they do online. Online you can do the multi floor, but i normally but ramps and have the male underneath them in the middle but it doesn't work on single player. I literally have to move the dinos to mate more than 2-3 in one direction. Which is why i'm hoping someone might know if there was a mating range variable we could change?

5 hours ago, ARKinadium said:

Any dino, they have literally half the breeding range on single player as they do online. Online you can do the multi floor, but i normally but ramps and have the male underneath them in the middle but it doesn't work on single player. I literally have to move the dinos to mate more than 2-3 in one direction. Which is why i'm hoping someone might know if there was a mating range variable we could change?

From what I"m seeing around the web there is no variable to adjust.  THe only thing you can do is up the speed of mating to almost instantaneous. 

Just now, GrumpyBear said:

From what I"m seeing around the web there is no variable to adjust.  THe only thing you can do is up the speed of mating to almost instantaneous. 

Yeah I've done quite a bit of Google fu before I posted here hoping a DEV could just post a variable we could change in the .ini

It seems really odd that there are so many big differences in the same code between the server and SP when there really shouldn't be. The breeding range is one. I mean why would this even change? If anything I would imagine it should be backwards with a smaller radius on a server just to keep people from spreading out and taking more room, but it's exactly the opposite lol.

I'd imagine it's all about processes running concurrently .   With a server, they have more threads they can dedicate to all things going on.  On your machine, it has to process everything.   They probably had to tune the game so it didn't cripple the weaker machines that they set as the minimum requirements.

We see hints of this issue on servers during events.  Not to long ago, they changed how often the server refreshes the raising babies and all breeding processes because it would cripple the servers with all the dinos we were raising.

You might try putting it in the suggestion section.  They have been known to add things to the configuration settings.  Its possible plenty of people have machines that will still run smoothly with that turned up.

12 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

even with the ability to adjust breeding range, grumpybear does make a solid point. Compared to online, you can set the mateing cooldown time to allmost zero. More or less the only thing you would have to wait for is for the mateing to take place. Because of this, only a handfull of, lets say rex's, is needed to lay nearly 50 fertilized eggs a day. And if all you care about is eggs for kibble, you can also adjust the non fert egg laying so that they are just laying nothing but eggs at an easy to collect rate.

21 hours ago, GrumpyBear said:

I'd imagine it's all about processes running concurrently .   With a server, they have more threads they can dedicate to all things going on.  On your machine, it has to process everything.   They probably had to tune the game so it didn't cripple the weaker machines that they set as the minimum requirements.

Mmmm - Dunno if I buy that - on a server you got (potentially) 70 peeps doing this thing at once? So the threads to deal w it would need to be like a NASA alpha centauri  shot computer? And there is no way that the official servers have 70x the "power" than even a "potato" stand alone machine?

My guess is that its a plain messup in the code to do with single player.

As a well left field suggestion - (I know you are not doing "non dedicated server"), mess around with the tether distance setting to see if that makes any difference (Single player {kinda} = non dedicated server settings)

26 minutes ago, DirkInSA said:

Mmmm - Dunno if I buy that - on a server you got (potentially) 70 peeps doing this thing at once? So the threads to deal w it would need to be like a NASA alpha centauri  shot computer? And there is no way that the official servers have 70x the "power" than even a "potato" stand alone machine?

My guess is that its a plain messup in the code to do with single player.

As a well left field suggestion - (I know you are not doing "non dedicated server"), mess around with the tether distance setting to see if that makes any difference (Single player {kinda} = non dedicated server settings)

the constant watching of the timers to keep the timer you see, and the actual timer running matched - takes resources.  If you hatch 10 dinos at once , watch their maturation %, you will begin to notice they don't all track together.  Some will slip behind, then mysteriously catch up 10 minutes or so later..  This is because it takes cpu time to keep track of all the timers and on top of that, show you what that time is, and in order to save on resources, they reduced how often the system crosschecks and matches the timer you see and the actual timer the game is keeping for the baby.

You gotta remember, the server is keeping track of everything, on every game save, every item in every vault is counted up and checked.   Every dino moving when people load areas into memory, have 6 people flying around on skiffs, you have all the areas they fly over loading and unloading into memory(this alone does a number on the servers), add in all the babys and eggs going - which could be in the hundreds per tribe could be over 1000 eggs counting down at any moment.  Plus dozens of other things I'm not even listing - it all adds up.  If it adds up to more than the server can keep up with - we get time drag. 

Ever notice it takes 9hrs or more to get an imprint in , even though it said 8hrs from the moment you started your timer?  Where do you think that extra hour of real time comes from?  Why does it happen?  Because the server couldn't run all the processes in real time and there comes a piper to pay in the form of time.  Server saves add about 15minutes every 8hours on a perfectly normal running server.   If you are on an event and it says 4hours to imprint, but you get on and its an hour delayed....  The way the devs try to fix this general problem, is to reduce operations  - like checking babies less often...

Looking at the history of complaints of this very issue you have, this has been going on for several years. If it wasn't intended - it would have been addressed by now.  I could be wrong, but I am often correct.   Without looking at the comments in the code, i doubt many of us could tell exactly why they chose to do things this way.   THis game has alot of things going on and strain the strongest of machines, it makes sense that any thing they dial back is to address performance issues.

@GrumpyBear I think we are saying the same thing (but in different ways). I agree totally w all the stuff you mention. But I still think that single player has way less of that kind of stuff to deal with. One guy in "render" on a specific portion of the map, one guys "stuff" (breed timers / crop growth / dino AI movement /etc) to look after. On single player the clock tick "check" at thread wake up is simply "Is the dude here": No do nothing, Yes OK do some work.  Sure single player has to do all that watching stuff - and actually render the game, catch the player input, and so on. But still - the server bit overhead of that lot must be way less than a proper dedicated server?
So there shouldn't be a reasoned design choice that would limit single player (in this example) breed range?

@DirkInSA I'd imagine it's based on the minimum specs.  Whatever ends up playable on a machine w/ :

• Processor: Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better

This would be the constraint that will determine what gets tweeked for SP. 

I would say this is solvable with mods, but that will only help players on steam PC version of the game.

• 7 months later...

Archived