Grounded/primitive playthrough advice?

Vit0Corleone

While waiting for Lost Island, I'm thinking about doing a new playthrough starting on the Island, Scorched Earth and finishing in Aberration, but following a few self imposed rules:

- No tek
- No flyers
- No cryos
- No gamma

I'm wondering if there any survivors out there that have done anything similar to this, have you found any blockers/show stoppers that make this non viable?

I'm planning to go with 5x rates and cave building enabled.

Any advice/feedback would be appreciated 🙂

On 8/7/2021 at 11:20 AM, Vit0Corleone said:

While waiting for Lost Island, I'm thinking about doing a new playthrough starting on the Island, Scorched Earth and finishing in Aberration, but following a few self imposed rules: - No tek - No flyers - No cryos - No gamma I'm wondering if there any survivors out there that have done anything similar to this, have you found any blockers/show stoppers that make this non viable? I'm planning to go with 5x rates and cave building enabled. Any advice/feedback would be appreciated 🙂

Man, no flyers? The rest I can get behind, but the lack of an argy is kinda is a Id hate to endure.

Id suggest a theri, thylo, or mammoth as soon as possible.

2 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Man, no flyers? The rest I can get behind, but the lack of an argy is kinda is a Id hate to endure.

Id suggest a theri, thylo, or mammoth as soon as possible.

I may get some argies to carry stuff for me, but I'm just not going to mount them.

I did something similar to this some time ago for a few days. It's amazing how much of the maps gets ignored, and adventures that never happen, simply due to how easy it is to just always fly safely from A to B and ignore everything in between.

It completely changes the game when you actually have to use caravans ( dinos for protection, dinos for carrying stuff, utility,etc. ) on resource runs and traveling between outposts - sometimes these are mini-adventures by themselves.

In any case, I will do x5 rates to make sure it doesn't turn into a unnecessary slog.

3 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

I may get some argies to carry stuff for me, but I'm just not going to mount them.

For what it's worth, there are a couple dino's that are fairly agile (which in this case specifically means that they won't get caught on the terrain too much) while still having a reasonable weight limit and being able to defend themselves. For example, I'm thinking that a wagon train made up of therizino's with the weight stat pumped up. or possibly rexes with the weight stat pumped up, would be able to cover almost any terrain with few difficulties while still being able to carry stuff and being able to defend themselves. This way you don't need extra animals in the wagon train to guard the pack animals, they can mostly take care of themselves.

I've done wagon trains full of animals like trikes & stegos, they're a major pain in the neck every time you run across an obstacle, and don't even get me started on dire bears getting caught on terrain. Even thylacoleos aren't great at following in a wagon train because when no one is riding them they get caught on terrain almost as much as dire bears do. I don't know for sure about mammoths for use in a wagon train, I've never used them that way, but I've ridden them enough times to know that they didn't handle terrain as well as I think you would want from a pack animal.

Of all the animals on The Island my personal preference would be therizinos - they're agile (they can turn on a dime, compared to rexes that need a large turning area), they're fairly good climbers and can handle fairly steep slopes (not quite as good at climbing as rexes, but still pretty good), they're capable of defending themselves without adding special defenders to the train (strong fighters with good HP), and they're herbivores which means that the food requirements for raising them will be much easier than any carnivore (even argys).

Just my two cents

4 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

I may get some argies to carry stuff for me, but I'm just not going to mount them. I did something similar to this some time ago for a few days. It's amazing how much of the maps gets ignored, and adventures that never happen, simply due to how easy it is to just always fly safely from A to B and ignore everything in between. It completely changes the game when you actually have to use caravans ( dinos for protection, dinos for carrying stuff, utility,etc. ) on resource runs and traveling between outposts - sometimes these are mini-adventures by themselves. In any case, I will do x5 rates to make sure it doesn't turn into a unnecessary slog.

I feel ya man, Iv done more than my fair share of "oh hey, look at this thing Iv never seen, even though I went right by it a lot" But still, argy is my go to travel mount.....closest other mount Iv used for travel is a thylo and I got to admit, in the loss of an argentavis a good thylo will make it seem trivial, but even then I found myself looking for my bird. x.x

But can agree, the majority of the map can be overlooked without being grounded. Ontop of that the transition from the island to scorched earth is barely felt while the transition from either to aberration is a very cold hard slap across the face if your not ready for it. I still remember the time I tried it the first time.....back to the basics, on foot, slow n steady, and then when we tried to rush the obelisk to get our dino's and found them all to be restricted within aberration, it reinforced the "work with what you got" mentality instead of short cutting. However I wish I had known first.....lost a lot of my good stuff. :(

Archived