PVP and pin coding

hugozilla

Pin coding must some how be weirdly conflated with locking in the code. In pvp most everything is set to unlocked by default and to lock things like your turrets or even new gates you are building, you pin them. This conflation causes a weird glitch in pve where when you unlock a locked an pin locked structure like a large storage box, it is still locked! (untill you clear the pin code non tribe players cant access an unlocked pincoded box, meaning it it is both locked and unlocked?). If memory serves in pvp there also used to be a lock or pin option, but for some reason I never see the lock option on the dial wheel anymore, just pining in pvp? Locking went completely away? Which is super weird cause there's supposed to be cheaters who have macros which can brute force pins in like 8min...

Also like a month ago I repositioned all my turrets, then a raid happened, and after the raid all my turrets were unmolested, went to look and the ammo was all gone. I figure what happened was picking up the turrets and placing them back down cleared the pin. What a weird system. In my opinion stuff ought to be locked by default, and pining something should be a rare exception to give some non tribe member access to a particular thing, I shouldn't be forced to have a pin for everything I want protected, and to potentially loose it all if someone discovers that number.

8 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Also like a month ago I repositioned all my turrets, then a raid happened, and after the raid all my turrets were unmolested, went to look and the ammo was all gone. I figure what happened was picking up the turrets and placing them back down cleared the pin. What a weird system. In my opinion stuff ought to be locked by default, and pining something should be a rare exception to give some non tribe member access to a particular thing, I shouldn't be forced to have a pin for everything I want protected, and to potentially loose it all if someone discovers that number.

There is only one pin that a raider will try, c4. No raider is going to sit there trying to guess the pin to turrets while being shot. Once the turrets are gone it really won't matter much if you have pin codes or not. Pin code your turrets and vaults and hope for the best

Let me just say how it ought to work. There's two binary states locked vs unlocked. Is a thing locked true false? <- that's binary. But pincodes can bypass the locked status, creating a third and fourth state pined but locked or pined but unlocked. Pined but unlocked is just unlocked. If the code reflected that basic reality there wouldn't have been any confusion to begin with. Probably including that whole mess with the tek dedicated storages.

Pin Coded = Locked

That's all there is to it. There is only one exception to that rule in PvP, that being doors which by default are locked. Every other item in game that can be locked will need to be pin coded to set it as locked on a PvP server.

There are no additional states to a pin coded item. There is no pin coded but also unlocked state. You just dont need to enter the pin code each time you access it if you're in the tribe that owns the item and have already entered the code once.

A pin coded item, no matter what it is, will always require anyone outside of your tribe to enter the code before they can access it.

I genuinely don't understand what there is to be confused about.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:10 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

Let me just say how it ought to work. There's two binary states locked vs unlocked. Is a thing locked true false? <- that's binary. But pincodes can bypass the locked status, creating a third and fourth state pined but locked or pined but unlocked. Pined but unlocked is just unlocked. If the code reflected that basic reality there wouldn't have been any confusion to begin with. Probably including that whole mess with the tek dedicated storages.

The problem is that you're thinking of locking as something that should be binary, if you change that thinking then the locking in the game all makes perfect sense.

Locking is not binary, and it's deliberately designed to be non-binary that's not an accident or but, it's intentionally trinary. An item can be fully unlocked, or it can be locked using either or both of two different locking methods.

This is basically like having a door handle lock and a deadbolt lock on the door to your house. You can either lock the door handle lock, or you can lock the deadbolt lock, or you can lock both. If you only lock the door handle lock then unlocking the door handle lets you in, but if the deadbolt is also locked then turning the door knob won't do anything for you. Both locks have to be unlocked if you want to gain entry.

The same thing is true if you have a keypad locking system on your home. The physical lock and they keypad lock are two different things, you can't use the doorlock to disable the keypad lock and you can't use the keypad to disable the door lock. Each form of lock offers it's own individual form of security.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:10 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

But pincodes can bypass the locked status, creating a third and fourth state pined but locked or pined but unlocked. Pined but unlocked is just unlocked.

That's true, and it's designed that way on purpose.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:42 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

Also like a month ago I repositioned all my turrets, then a raid happened, and after the raid all my turrets were unmolested, went to look and the ammo was all gone. I figure what happened was picking up the turrets and placing them back down cleared the pin.

While I feel your pain at being raided, that's how every locked object in the game has always worked. When you pick up an object it loses any custom settings you have applied to it (including custom paint). Cryopods work the same way, if you have a dino on Follow when you cryopod it, it removes the follow stats so that when you un-pod it the animal isn't following anything.

On 12/31/2020 at 1:42 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

In my opinion stuff ought to be locked by default, and pining something should be a rare exception to give some non tribe member access to a particular thing, I shouldn't be forced to have a pin for everything I want protected, and to potentially loose it all if someone discovers that number.

That's been suggested many times (and for what it's worth I agree with that idea) but it's pretty clear that WildCard disagrees. Their view of PvP is that it should be as risky as possible and that players should be required to go to the trouble of PIN protecting anything they want to keep locked. You and I may not like that decision but I doubt that WC will ever consider changing it. If you don't trust your base to protect your possesions then it's up to you to add the extra layer of security of locking everything. That may not be fun but it's how it works unless WC changes their mind.

Archived