Dire bear. What are they used for?

BubbaTheGreat

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BubbaTheGreat said:

Sucks,  I wanted to use them for pelt runs. Do you think they'd be any good in raids? I don't think I'd use them to actually attack, just to carry the loot after. I guess we have quetz for that though.lol

IMO theyd be better for quetz as a loot carrier, cuz they are small am can hide. 

• Volunteer Moderator

With the utility of the mammals now, I am thinking that a server where you can only tame mammals, sea creatures(some), and some small and/or peaceful dinos/reptiles(not brontos, possibly stego or trike), could be interesting, possibly challengeing with the right settings, to play on.  

Gigas would be banned, but Rexes might be buffed a bit, and their spawns turned down a bit.  Still debating on birds, but I am thinking no Qs and no Pteras.

However, for this to be fun, and not annoying, the aggro for wilds would need to be adjusted.  When in the ocean, everytime you turn around, there is not a Mosa and 2 Plesios coming at you, with a bunch of Anglers swarming in.   On land, every carnoivore and insect does not instantly zero in on you the second you are in range; they should be hungry and you should be the best choice for food(a rex is not going to give up a juicy phiomia to get a few strips of stringy meat from your carcass).  

Make sneaking about a real component, and not just wishful thinking; yeah, there is Ghillie, but you have a few levels and a cold trip to get to it.  Make the bug repellent into a real scent mask, to use when out exploring; but not 100% effective.

For something like the bronto, I would actually buff it, but also make it a major resource; something where you get more meat, hide, and other mats(add some new and useful ones, like bone, marrow, fat, large hide, etc.), than you and your mounts can carry; you might have to leave it behind and hope it is still there for a second or third trip. 

Taming would be more about not losing levels, not magically gaining almost 50% more, but post tame leveling would be better than the the current nefg, but not quite as good as wild levels.

Sorry, go off on a tangent there. 

But, I see the dire bear, in a good rebalance, being a good mid-level animal.

16 minutes ago, Unboundattic319 said:

We really do need a rebalance. The Dire bear is cool but kinda pointless. it Gathers fiber, but a gigano on wonder gets like 10k fiber in maybe minutes.

... No. Sure it gathers fiber, but you quickly don't need to gather fiber anymore. 

It is about being a great non-flyijg carrier, not a fiber gatherer. 

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 6:01 AM, MrDynamicMan said:

... No. Sure it gathers fiber, but you quickly don't need to gather fiber anymore.

It is about being a great non-flyijg carrier, not a fiber gatherer.

good piont, but once you have flyers how much need is thier for a ground carrier. Once I have argys and quetzals I don't use them for anything other than around the base storage. Although I've been wanting to do a server with flyer saddles turned off. I think it would be a good challege, and force you to rethink how you play the game.

2 hours ago, Unboundattic319 said:

good piont, but once you have flyers how much need is thier for a ground carrier. Once I have argys and quetzals I don't use them for anything other than around the base storage. Although I've been wanting to do a server with flyer saddles turned off. I think it would be a good challege, and force you to rethink how you play the game.

Yeah, but hopefully flyers get nerfed.

• 3 months later...

The trouble with land mounts is BUGS, theres way to many and their far to aggressive. You spend so much time fighting them if your "on foot" you have to fly to make progress!! They need to be toned down big time IMO or make the repellant last an hour of gameplay not 10minutes.....then itd be worth making. Until then ill stick to the air thanks.

The bear is awesome #OPalphakillers

I traded for a high level bred bear on my old official server and leveled it up as basically an all terrain vehicle. 4k health, 2k oxy and stamina and was just raising it's melee after that (Think it was around 258%)

Could travel just about anywhere on the island with it. Volcano, underwater caves, snow biome. Was my only creature for about a month before I got a ptera so I could deliver/make things for people faster (and chase supply drops) since not everyone was patient enough to wait 20 minutes for me to get there by bear. 

Great for fiber, gathering all kinds of food, fighting just about anything, travelling around, carrying resources... I felt it was adequate at gathering pelt, I did make most of a suit of fur armor in the few trips I went to the snow for mass oil... and I wasn't really hunting for it specifically.

• Its secondary attack has more base damage than a rex.
  • It can harvest all kinds of things while still in full sprint.
  • It has decent stats all around (base stats beat rex's in all categories except health, walking speed and torpor)
  • Its a load bearing animal.
  • It has amazing speed capabilities if you need to gtfo of a situation.
  • It can go toe-to-toe with damn near anything else except a Giga.

To compare it with an ape and say that it's only good for gathering fiber is like saying a giga is only good for taking up space in your dino pen.

My fiancee and I fell in love with the bears when they were first released. We're waiting on P+ to come out on XB1 so we can start breeding them on an official server. We've bred plenty on our dedicated, and they're literally our go-to animal for anything that requires a land based animal.

There's a tribe in our server that breeds bears like crazy. They're on like 6th or 7th generation at this point. My favorite moment was when one of their 1st Gen bears soloed down an enemy tribe's best war Rex without even getting bloody.

They also got this sick Quetz Box build that they load their bears in and drop em out of. Bear's are one of the only animals that when you dismount them mid-air you hover directly above them. Meaning you can air drop on a bear from the top of the limit and neither you or the bear will receive falling damage as long as you dismount.

They are hands down the best tame to take into caves at the moment as well. They're actually borderline broken, but don't seem very popular and don't receive a lot of attention. Mostly because people just see them as Fiber gatherers... lol

I've got a perfect imprinted cub of two perfect 150 tames.  Hands-down the toughest mount I've got. The only things that he can't annihilate are Gigas and Alpha Rexes.  

I prefer him to my rexes and spinos on land, due to his speed. I'll take my spino out sometimes because he's faster in the water, but my bear is my go to for most everything that doesn't require a flyer. 

• Volunteer Moderator

The Dire Bear is one of my favorites.  When I started on the Center, I was lucky to find a high level one early on and managed to slap up a simple pit near it and lure it in(a bit unnerving when you are low level), and tame it.  

Used it for metal runs, caves, and great for raiding beaver dams.

With Arthro, I try to lure off the other stuff, slaughter it, and then I use the bears speed to rush in and start smacking those Arthro around; helps to limit armor damage.

When I did the Northern Ice Cave on the Center, as insurance, I used Lazarus Chowder on my bear and had no issues getting into the two different sections.  And they are excellent mounts to have in the Underworld.

On the Island, I had a ton of bears, after breeding up to get a male and some females with the best stats of the group.

On a side note, they devaste thatch in no time; had to let one wake up once after putting up the wall(because of a TE issue) and it destroyed those thatch walls in no time.

Archived