Honestly, I'm just waiting for a map with no transfers allowed in.

WolfBrinkTV

On 4/23/2020 at 4:19 AM, Aylana314159 said:

This is where mods come in. Once you run out of things to do in the original game.

I'm sorry my post was clearly too long and you didn't read it all 

On 4/22/2020 at 11:29 PM, Hemplethwaite said:

I'm PVE from early access and I like to just do my own thing a lot of the time.

and there are still things I want or like to do by myself on most of the maps.  

haven't run out of stuff to do on Official yet

On 4/23/2020 at 1:20 AM, WolfBrinkTV said:

It comes from the engagement of the server community. I have seen the same thing happen over and over again as new maps roll out and transfers are opened. Servers go from a bustling community full of engagement, to boring and barren when transfers open up.

The issue with starting your own breeding lines is the sense of "what's the point if there's already years of work flowing around you?" It's a mind game that I personally can't overcome.

I only play PVE now since I went full time at work and have a daughter. PVP isn't a viable option on Official as a solo player unless you have a lot of time to sink. The upkeep is far too much. Loved pvp, just can't do it anymore.

Sorry but clearly you were never really a true PVP player to begin with then. I don't know of any true PVP player that would one day suddenly pack up and play PVE because things got too hard. They might rage and play a different game but PVE? Never that's sacrilege.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:55 PM, Hemplethwaite said:

it sounds like you play PVE?  Where does the desire then to compete with other players or even your interest in what other players do come from? 

If you want to create your own breeding lines the only thing stopping you is yourself. There isn't any requirement to keep up with other tribes. Play your own game and achieve your own goals. 

You can do it, we believe in you.

PVE players seem to have this odd mindset on the one hand they hate PVP cause "competition" but on the other hand they have this notion that unless they build some giant lag base and stack it full of dinos they are somehow lesser then the other PVErs. Some sort of PVE pride thing I guess.

Anyways with regards to transfers its a double edged sword from a PVP perspective. On the one hand not having transfers can create this illusion of competition on the server but it often quickly becomes stale as wiped tribes merge together eventually becoming large bob tribes.  In the days before transfers this resulted in very uncompetitive servers since it was quite impossible to effectively fight sometimes 2 third's of the server who had alliance up. Outside transfers open up the servers in many ways and help make it more dynamic and vulnerable which it should be.

1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

PVE players seem to have this odd mindset on the one hand they hate PVP cause "competition" but on the other hand they have this notion that unless they build some giant lag base and stack it full of dinos they are somehow lesser then the other PVErs. Some sort of PVE pride thing I guess.

I know there are always going to be issues with players peacocking. We keep our dinos podded, we have no need to show them off. 

I've never had a problem with competition, I have played a lot of competitive games and even played in leagues back in the days when Call Of Duty was a WW2 fps and people played clan matches and leagues just for fun and you remained friendly with your opponents no matter who won.

But Ark PVP,  even in early access was clearly very toxic and to be avoided. 

4 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Anyways with regards to transfers its a double edged sword from a PVP perspective. On the one hand not having transfers can create this illusion of competition on the server but it often quickly becomes stale as wiped tribes merge together eventually becoming large bob tribes.  In the days before transfers this resulted in very uncompetitive servers since it was quite impossible to effectively might sometimes 2 third's of the server who had alliance up. Outside transfers open up the servers in many ways and help make it more dynamic and vulnerable which it should be.

I would love to see you be able to play and enjoy Official PVP with a 60 hour a week job, family, and a 5 month old daughter.

A lot of PVP players have this weird mindset that they're literally the king of all poop because they either puss out in a mega tribe and their only job is a harvester and they call themselves a "pvp player" or they just no life the game on a hardcore level to where it's more of a job than a game.

Both modes have their places, both players have things they like to have to keep entertained. It's a debate that will never end. I Loved PVP, but I also really enjoy the laxed nature of PVE now that I don't have to time for PVP.

It's sad when its obvious most of your points are clearly made out of arrogance and "pvp pride" other than actually seeing the other side of things. To each their own.

• 6 months later...
On 4/22/2020 at 12:03 PM, WolfBrinkTV said:

You're 100% correct, they will turn into the same thing that official currently is after a year. 

But.

If they released new official servers that are transfer locked each time they release maps, it would be perfect timing for players to decide for themselves if they wanna keep it up on the server they're on, or if they wanna start fresh again and try again.

Being able to decide if you wanna join a fresh server with no transfers IN every year, or just stay where you are would be amazing.

Viable? No. Ark already has a ton of servers. Could you imagine how many more servers they would have to manage by doing this? Just ideas I'm throwing around that I would personally find refreshing is all.

On 4/22/2020 at 12:00 AM, WolfBrinkTV said:

I'm not talking about Arkpocolypse. That's a completely different direction. I want permanent long term servers for people to start fresh on. Wiping everything every 30 days just kills the whole idea I have on being able to breed out lines for a long time again from the start. Whole different direction. Especially for the PVE community.

You want a "permanent" "fresh start". The mind boggles.

When it comes to competing on a PVE/community server, it comes down to your identity in that community. What are you known for? Hint: it's not always the strongest dinos that make someone a known member of their community. On my server I was known for my spinos. Someone else called herself the "Quetz Queen" and while it was cringey, she was in fairness the only quetz breeder on the server so that was fair enough. If you wanted a bred quetz you bought it from her.

When it comes to competing in the economy, you need either something everyone wants, or something no one has (that is desirable). Now, obviously you don't want to compete on stats on the main dinos because everyone already has those or can get them for cheap or free. So go after the rare things no one else has, build up your stock and your reputation and there you go, you're in business. 

For example, wyvern and insect breeding just dropped. Everyone and their mother is breeding wyverns like crazy right now, but what about the mantis? They're annoying to tame and previously niche and a little gimmicky due to the lack of breeding. Not very many PVE players would bother taming them. Now? They're breedable, they have status. People will want them. Buy/trade for a bunch of them or go tame them up, get to breeding. Get your line established and get to it, and you can be the mantis breeder. If you want to be the mantis breeder anyway.

I never cared about the status, I just really, really like spinos so I always have them and that ended up making me competitive on my server because that was my reputation, I was known for them. Why bother going to someone else when you knew I was going to have them, they're great quality and lots of color options. If I still played on servers I would absolutely have armies of aberrant and x-spinos, and I had plans to expand into barys too but since I only play sp now it's a moot point.

The other place where anyone can be competitive is on the remaining unbreedables in event colors. Phoenixes, rock drakes, reapers, etc. There will always be a market for event colored unbreedables that can only be reproduced at great expense via cloning.

Finding your niche is in a lot of ways the challenge itself; past a certain point on PVE servers the challenge isn't in the gameplay, it's in the community. Specialization goes a very, very long way in establishing yourself in the hierarchy, either by having "everything" or having one super specific thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I 100% back the idea up and would love to see a server type where what you achieve would actually mean something in its very own ecosystem. Not bringing my stuff in and out to other servers just to spoil their game and belittle their efforts and achievements there and then drag my loot into the fully spammed with foundations dead server that I control. Great idea but developers would not be interested, they just want us to buy the next DLC full of fantastic creatures that are far away from the core game itself.

Archived