perfect tame Perfect Tame/Imprinting

Zahlea

Two questions:

1. Should a perfect tame always be possible? I.e. if you get the creature's favourite kibble/jump through all the correct hoops - should the max level always be 224 (on a difficulty 5 server)?

I'm leaning towards yes. I don't really see the point of certain creatures not being able to reach 224 from a wild tame. Or are there creatures I'm not thinking of that would be too op if that were possible?

2. Also, on the same note: Should 100% imprinting always be possible? At present, it's not for all creatures as I understand it, and fiddling with the settings is far from easy if you want to be able to fully imprint.

I think imprinting needs to be remodeled so that 100% imprinting is always possible, preferably with at least some time to spare. I get that the imprinting bonus should be hard to get, but with the very long tames on official (for all high tier creatures where it really matters) it's already a chore to get all of them so I believe this suggestion wouldn't change that. Also - the settings need to be changed so that they make sense: i.e. if you change the interval to 0.1 (10 times as often) you get 1/10th of the imprinting you'd get at interval 1.0, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 5:27 PM, Zahlea said:

Two questions:

1. Should a perfect tame always be possible? I.e. if you get the creature's favourite kibble/jump through all the correct hoops - should the max level always be 224 (on a difficulty 5 server)?

I'm leaning towards yes. I don't really see the point of certain creatures not being able to reach 224 from a wild tame. Or are there creatures I'm not thinking of that would be too op if that were possible?

2. Also, on the same note: Should 100% imprinting always be possible? At present, it's not for all creatures as I understand it, and fiddling with the settings is far from easy if you want to be able to fully imprint.

I think imprinting needs to be remodeled so that 100% imprinting is always possible, preferably with at least some time to spare. I get that the imprinting bonus should be hard to get, but with the very long tames on official (for all high tier creatures where it really matters) it's already a chore to get all of them so I believe this suggestion wouldn't change that. Also - the settings need to be changed so that they make sense: i.e. if you change the interval to 0.1 (10 times as often) you get 1/10th of the imprinting you'd get at interval 1.0, etc.

A while back when the imprint interval was fixed to 8 hours (from 3.5-4.5 hours), the devs made it so every creature needed 1 less imprint to gain its full 100%. In turn, this had a knock on effect to all unofficials because in the past I had issues tweaking the interval to get 100% on everything but now it’s achievable with ease and much more flexible.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:06 AM, Bentebent said:

The randomness of imprinting and taming kinda ruins it for me. It feels arbitrary and forced. If a creature is too OP from reaching that level you need to rebalance that creature instead of introducing arbitrary mechanics like currently, in my opinion.

What arbitrary mechanics are you referencing? Not sure I follow, sorry.

On 2/8/2019 at 5:14 PM, SaltyMonkey said:

A while back when the imprint interval was fixed to 8 hours (from 3.5-4.5 hours), the devs made it so every creature needed 1 less imprint to gain its full 100%. In turn, this had a knock on effect to all unofficials because in the past I had issues tweaking the interval to get 100% on everything but now it’s achievable with ease and much more flexible.

Hmm, are you saying that it already is possible to 100% imprint every creature? Because that's not my experience...

What are your thoughts about taming? Should a perfect tame always result in lvl 224 (on difficulty 5) or is the current system fine where the de facto max lvl of different creatures ranges from lvl 220 or something to lvl 224?

Speaking of taming effectiveness, I had a few questions. I know if the animal takes damage after you knock it out that lowers it, but what else? For example, say I'm taming a lowly dodo (sue me I love them >_> ). I hit it just enough to knock it out, and it takes zero damage after it's unconscious. Does it matter HOW you knock it out? For high level ones I've used tranq arrows, but usually I just bola/club them out (I know if necessary you can just punch them out too). I tame them with mejoberries, which I thought was the best berry to tame them with? (I know they'll eat any berry but stim/narco, and I've noticed they seem to tame faster with amarberries) But what other factors lower the taming effectiveness?

8 minutes ago, margifish said:

Speaking of taming effectiveness, I had a few questions. I know if the animal takes damage after you knock it out that lowers it, but what else? For example, say I'm taming a lowly dodo (sue me I love them >_> ). I hit it just enough to knock it out, and it takes zero damage after it's unconscious. Does it matter HOW you knock it out? For high level ones I've used tranq arrows, but usually I just bola/club them out (I know if necessary you can just punch them out too). I tame them with mejoberries, which I thought was the best berry to tame them with? (I know they'll eat any berry but stim/narco, and I've noticed they seem to tame faster with amarberries) But what other factors lower the taming effectiveness?

How you knock out a dino doesn't matter at all as long as it's still alive when it's knocked out. Any damage it takes before being knocked out doesn't influence the taming effectiveness one bit. Any damage it takes after it's knocked out lowers the taming effectiveness significantly.

Other than that, all food lowers taming effectiveness, it's just a matter of how much. The "best" taming food is the food that lowers the taming effectiveness the least over the course of the whole tame. That is, food A might generate a faster tame than food B, but the total taming effectiveness is higher at the end of the tame with food B. In that case, food B would be considered the best taming food, even if it takes longer. You can see this at the wiki, where the best food is at the top but sometimes take a little bit longer than the fastest food (this has other reasons as well, but I won't complicate things with bringing that up. The wiki for your dodos state that the best food is any of the advanced crops, if you want the highest taming effectiveness possible.

46 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

How you knock out a dino doesn't matter at all as long as it's still alive when it's knocked out. Any damage it takes before being knocked out doesn't influence the taming effectiveness one bit. Any damage it takes after it's knocked out lowers the taming effectiveness significantly.

Other than that, all food lowers taming effectiveness, it's just a matter of how much. The "best" taming food is the food that lowers the taming effectiveness the least over the course of the whole tame. That is, food A might generate a faster tame than food B, but the total taming effectiveness is higher at the end of the tame with food B. In that case, food B would be considered the best taming food, even if it takes longer. You can see this at the wiki, where the best food is at the top but sometimes take a little bit longer than the fastest food (this has other reasons as well, but I won't complicate things with bringing that up. The wiki for your dodos state that the best food is any of the advanced crops, if you want the highest taming effectiveness possible.

Okee! Thank you so much for the answer! I didn't know the damage before the knockout didn't impact the taming, so that's a relief.

12 hours ago, margifish said:

Okee! Thank you so much for the answer! I didn't know the damage before the knockout didn't impact the taming, so that's a relief.

Yeah, be careful though, it's easy to hit/shoot one extra time that lands right after the creature has been knocked out. In that case the taming effectiveness will be effected.

A tip that you might know already: if you find that the taming effectiveness has been effected by hitting it, just let it wake up and knock it out again and the taming effectiveness resets to starting at 100% again (you might need to wait a bit for it to heal before you knock it out the second time).

Archived