Quetzal Maturation

Rakkasan

Try raising a giga. Cripes that’s truly awful. They starve if you don’t constantly babysit them and it takes forever. I’m on day three I believe. At least their meat consumption drops after a bit. 

Ive never timed a quetzal maturation but it’s a heavy days worth of playing sounds about right. Taming one is more thrilling but raising them gives a better final product. The trick is to find two high level parents. My first quetz happened to be a 28 and my like fifth or so was a perfect 30. So I’ve used those to breed a ton of them and have just offed the ones I don’t like. Just leave the game running on a charger while you do something else.  Keep in mind that you shouldn’t imprint breeders and imprint the quetz you will use  

As as far as finding them I’ve found that the trick is to find the first one. Once that happens they seem to respawn predictably. Red obelisk has a respawn just se of it where there’s the fork in the waterway. I’ve also seen another on the northern side of the blue obelisk north of the mountain. I’ve been told there’s a spawn on the green obelisk but I’ve never seen it.   Again the issue is finding the first. In my opinion they wander a bit. When playing single player you don’t get to the quetz tame for a while and they wander to random places and are hard to find. In multiplayer there’s more than one person trying to find them, thus increasing odds that one will be found and a new respawned at the predestined spawn point. It took me forever to get my first but once I did I can always find another at the red obelisk. 

2 hours ago, Bush84 said:

Try raising a giga. Cripes that’s truly awful. They starve if you don’t constantly babysit them and it takes forever. I’m on day three I believe. At least their meat consumption drops after a bit. 

Ive never timed a quetzal maturation but it’s a heavy days worth of playing sounds about right. Taming one is more thrilling but raising them gives a better final product. The trick is to find two high level parents. My first quetz happened to be a 28 and my like fifth or so was a perfect 30. So I’ve used those to breed a ton of them and have just offed the ones I don’t like. Just leave the game running on a charger while you do something else.  Keep in mind that you shouldn’t imprint breeders and imprint the quetz you will use  

As as far as finding them I’ve found that the trick is to find the first one. Once that happens they seem to respawn predictably. Red obelisk has a respawn just se of it where there’s the fork in the waterway. I’ve also seen another on the northern side of the blue obelisk north of the mountain. I’ve been told there’s a spawn on the green obelisk but I’ve never seen it.   Again the issue is finding the first. In my opinion they wander a bit. When playing single player you don’t get to the quetz tame for a while and they wander to random places and are hard to find. In multiplayer there’s more than one person trying to find them, thus increasing odds that one will be found and a new respawned at the predestined spawn point. It took me forever to get my first but once I did I can always find another at the red obelisk. 

Why shouldn’t breeders be imprinted? I like the breeding aspect of the game and this is new info for me. I have been operating on the basis of higher imprint equals higher stats so all babies get imprinted. But if there isn’t a reason to imprint those that will likely never leave my base that would be a big time saver.

Alas I have no quezt to breed. It’s been around 2 weeks since I have seen one, I spend time searching everyday too. The last two I saw were at the red obelisk, but they were a lvl1 and lvl3. A mated pair even, but I killed them because I didn’t want to start breeding with such low levels. Admittedly I felt a twinge as I did it because I knew I might wish I hadn’t. But I kept telling myself better ones would respawn for me to tame. AND, I had just been chased off from a nearly tamed lvl17 by a wandering giga. I had managed to take its implant just in case I had to fight off a Rex or something. But I couldn’t kill the giga or get close to the quetz to feed it more narcotic and I guess it woke and flew away cuz the implant said it was still alive. The one time I wouldn’t have minded a wild dino killing something I am trying to tame and boom! I am still quetzal-less lol.

Imprinted stats don’t carry over. It makes it difficult to track their traits. 

If it were me I’d just get one and worry about breeders as I go. To me even a crappy quetz is better for travel across the map than an argy.  While I’m breeding I have a speed and a weight quetz. Once my speed quetz had its speed maxed and stamina enough to not worry about when I have to stop I’m now pumping into weight. My weight quetz has only gotten points into weight and stamina. Apparently max speed is 200%. 

According to the wiki it takes over 7 days to raise a quetz to maturity. 

Im still searching for my first one. I’ve spotted one or two in the past, both up near the green obelisk. as it has been mentioned, you’ve got to kill at least one off before more will spawn, and because in solo there’s no one else around to kill them, they’ve been flying all over the island since we first woke up on the beach. There’s no telling where they could be now.

2 hours ago, LeftBlindEye said:

I can confirm its about 7 days. This is pretty intense to do as a solo player! My first and second one was killed pretty quick.

Even on mobile?

thats some major dedication that’s for sure. 

The wiki said it would be close to 3hrs incubation time for my argy eggs, but it was around 20 minutes. I did have them stored in the fridge for a day or two, but I don’t think that changes incubation times. From that I just assumed that mobile incubation was much faster...

These guys must be talking non mobile. Keep in mind wiki and other sources aren’t talking mobile and mobile is not the same. I use those sources as a general guide but realize their numbers aren’t right. I’ve raised about a dozen quetz and it doesn’t take a real life week. Keep in mind time stops on mobile when you exit the game. You can also sleep and wake up and your baby/egg is exactly as you left it before you slept. 

It depends on how much you play and if you are imprinting or not. If I have a day off I can get the egg in my incubator room and have a matured quetz the next day. 

Edit-going to incubate another egg and time. I can state that it takes an hour and a half for the egg to hatch. Once it hatches I’ll crunch the math on maturation time based on how long it takes it’s percentage to change. 

1624110236_Screenshot_20181008-154234_ARKSurvivalEvolved_resized.thumb.jpg.533745a463ad99f449a913fbbb8b12fa.jpgWell now, well after the fact, I can provide some accurate, first-hand data on my own original question.

From the time my egg hatched until full maturity was very near a week, if not a tad over. 

That includes, mind you, any possible (almost certainly) effect of the Baby Boom this past weekend, which included 2x maturation speed.

I can say for a fact that on a mobile server (that meaning not single player) time does keep ticking on the maturation process when you're not in game. I specifically saw that the percentage had increased while I was offline, albeit very slowly. (I am thinking the Quetzal is one of the slowest maturing creatures in the game.)

I will also tell you that I used pheromones during the mating process and eery candy for imprinting. I am confident that the pheromones had no effect on maturation. As for the candy I think it only sped up imprinting and had no effect on maturation speed at all. And even if any of that had an effect it would surely be to speed the process up, not slow it down.

I play a lot. I mean a lot. (Which means way too much probably.) Therefore any suggestions that not being in game much would slow down the process wouldn't apply with me. (Unless someone is talking about being in game 24/7. That's scary. Lol.)

So... (Drum roll please.)

Average is going to be a week.

Thank you. 

You may now disagree and share your own experiences to prove I'm wrong. :) But I know what I went through. Just glad it's over. Now I have my first Quetz, 100% imprinted, with an awesome cargo/resource/rescue platform! (Thank you Sue for building the structure on the saddle! You are amazing!)

- Rakkasan

Must be a pve single player compared to pvp thing. I’m doing the math right now on my quetz that I hatched and it says 10 hours. It’s already 6% done. 

Edit-giga are on the extreme form of worse. I managed to raise one and it was awful. Took forever and they eat like crazy. Bred a wild lvl 16 to a wild level 1.  The final imprinted product was a lot stronger than the parents though. 

6 hours ago, Bush84 said:

Must be a pve single player compared to pvp thing. I’m doing the math right now on my quetz that I hatched and it says 10 hours. It’s already 6% done. 

Edit-giga are on the extreme form of worse. I managed to raise one and it was awful. Took forever and they eat like crazy. Bred a wild lvl 16 to a wild level 1.  The final imprinted product was a lot stronger than the parents though. 

I think you are right in everything you said about single player on mobile having different rates of things to pve and pvp. Things seem to be so much faster for those of us playing solo than for others. 

I regularly refer to the wiki for how much kibble I need to tame, how much narc etc etc, but more often than not, it doesn’t take anywhere near as much, or take anywhere near as long as it does for pc and console players.

most mobile devices would overheat if you spent 3 hours taming something 

Archived