Back after a year+, advise on flyers to get?

Raefar

1 hour ago, Martellus said:

For sure, Argentavis. It is not as fast as your usual Ptera, but it can carry so much now as well as the added benefits mentioned previously. Also note that it can now attack creatures in air while carrying them.

For human players it can carry the rider, another player on its talons and one more by its beak.

Argentavis has been able to attack carried animals since launch, unless some update removed this ability and then they re-added it.  

3 hours ago, Raefar said:

Just started playing again after a long time off and I've heard there have been a lot of changes to flyer.  Any advise on what to tame or go for due to the changes? I mostly play as a solo hidden base raider and bounce server to server.  

As said, Argy is a great early bird, almost doesn't matter what level for the first.  They have great stamina, great carry load, and with a few damage upgrades are very strong.   My argy is only around level 145 now, has 1500 stamina, almost 700 weight, and 509 damage.  With the argy working as a mobile smithy as well, some of the materials you collect weigh less when you put them in the inventory.  Great all around animal to have.  

After a long time spent doing some serious argy hunting, the method I use to get one seems pretty foolproof to tame them.  I'll get a pteranodon, because they are easy and will let me fly around scouting.  When I find an argy I want, I will aggro it, then fly off allowing it to stay very close, hitting me every so often so it stays interested.  I will take it to the beach, a raised platform, or any safe area.  Once I'm in the location I want, I will quickly sprint ahead just a bit, dismount off the ptera, then start firing tranq arrows or darts, depending.  Go for head shots with argy, you get a 3x headshot bonus.  If you go behind the ptera, so it is in  between you and the argy, odds are high the argy will forget about you and circle the ptera while attacking.  Once you have hit it with enough darts/arrows, it will start to fly off.  From this point, it usually only needs another shot or 2 to go down, but you may have to run up a bit to get the shot off.  From that point you can just throw some raw meat in and wait.

Archived