Gigantopithecus raising

Revan25

So I recently perfect tamed two 150 gigantopithecus and bred them twice this weekend, both babies died. Which sucks because they were both really good. But I find that apes are harder to keep alive then the average berry eater, they grow slow and hold significantly less berries in there first hours of life. They also tend to eat a significant amount of berries all at once quite often. If you don't check up on them every couple of minutes they will probably die. I cant think of a reason for such a slow growth rate and and their lack of being able to hold a larger amount of berries. I definitely think they need to be reworked. For reference, It came out roughly the same time I popped my reaper this weekend and it was growing at the same rate as that. Does anyone have a theory as to why they could be this way?

they can wear actual armor (helm) which makes them ridiculously tanky compared to using a saddle.

they have fantastic mobility: strafe, movement speed, jumping and ziplining

are awesome at gathering fiber passively in a small bushed area and can defend themselves very well if they wander into trouble due to high armor and decent dmg.

look much better since the TLC pass

I'm sure they have other uses in PVP but in PVE they are challenging herbivores to tame and breed. Also rare due to the cost of kibble and difficulty to tame them passively.

1 hour ago, Fidel said:

You could just build a little area with fences witch has bushes inside and put the baby on wander it will completely gather food buy it self works also with roll rats and all the other berrie eaters

My tribe mate brought this up to me last night, but I wasn't sure if it would work. Will I need to put any berries in them at all, or will they automatically pick enough to keep them alive?

8 hours ago, Revan25 said:

My tribe mate brought this up to me last night, but I wasn't sure if it would work. Will I need to put any berries in them at all, or will they automatically pick enough to keep them alive?

While it DOES work, it's not quite... Reliable enough for my tastes, unless you manage to find a super-dense area, such as the berry bush fields in the west 1 spawn zone on the Island.

Also, bigfoots are one of the dinos that just have a higher rate of food consumption then other dinos, akin to Doeds. I had a Doed and an Ankylo, both with the same amount of food, same amount of weight. I left a stack of berries on both. I came back later, and the Ankylo had only gone through half the stack of mejos, but the Doed had almost run completely out.

13 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

While it DOES work, it's not quite... Reliable enough for my tastes, unless you manage to find a super-dense area, such as the berry bush fields in the west 1 spawn zone on the Island.

Also, bigfoots are one of the dinos that just have a higher rate of food consumption then other dinos, akin to Doeds. I had a Doed and an Ankylo, both with the same amount of food, same amount of weight. I left a stack of berries on both. I came back later, and the Ankylo had only gone through half the stack of mejos, but the Doed had almost run completely out.

Yeah it's crazy how much they consume. My tribe mate popped one yesterday evening and got it to juvenile, so I'm hoping we are in the clear and breed them again this weekend when I have more time to commit to raising one.

Does anyone know what good stats are for these guys?

32 minutes ago, Frogspoison said:

On birth...

3200 health is "solid" health,

1500 stamina is "solid" stamina,

396 weight is "solid" weight,

314% melee is "solid" melee.

To get better stats then those will require many, many hours of searching for better dinos.

Thanks! Overall the two starters I have are not far behind from being "solid" in all cases. I'm always looking for more of them to tame, its just a matter of having the kibble available. I think As I get this line going stats will go up as well.

I breed these guys on official so pretty familiar with raising them. They are slightly more difficult than other berry eaters due to the high consumption rate and lowish weight which means they can't hold many to start. The first couple hours are tough in raising bcuz they do require a lot of attention but once your past about 4.5 - 5% you'll have a good idea on how long they can be left alone. They also have a 6.5 hour gestation period so with that an their close to 8 hours of being a baby it's certainly a raise you'll want to preplan for and make a day of.

11 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

On birth...

3200 health is "solid" health,

1500 stamina is "solid" stamina,

396 weight is "solid" weight,

314% melee is "solid" melee.

To get better stats then those will require many, many hours of searching for better dinos.

I just want to point out that melee stat is far from "solid," it's quite exceptional...53 attribute points. A 50+ stat on these guys are extremely rare to find.

7 hours ago, stevealicious said:

I just want to point out that melee stat is far from "solid," it's quite exceptional...53 attribute points. A 50+ stat on these guys are extremely rare to find.

Mine right now are popping between 285.9 melee and 294.3 melee, and between 2700-2850 health. Would you classify that as pretty decent for first generation?

11 hours ago, stevealicious said:

53 points in melee on a bigfoot is 375.1% melee on a bred bigfoot. 314% is just 40 points in melee on a bred bigfoot..

14 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

53 points in melee on a bigfoot is 375.1% melee on a bred bigfoot. 314% is just 40 points in melee on a bred bigfoot..

i think the issue here is we're using different stat calculators. below is the dododex and SA interpretation of the matter and both give varying answers. using smart breeder app maybe?

dododex.png

SAcomp.png

18 hours ago, Revan25 said:

Mine right now are popping between 285.9 melee and 294.3 melee, and between 2700-2850 health. Would you classify that as pretty decent for first generation?

the health can use a little bit of work but that melee is not far off from the highest ive tamed myself. find a solid statted tame in stamina and one in health also, breed them into your melee apes and youve got yourself some soldiers

1 hour ago, stevealicious said:

i think the issue here is we're using different stat calculators. below is the dododex and SA interpretation of the matter and both give varying answers. using smart breeder app maybe?

dododex.png

SAcomp.png

Yea, I am using the Smart Breeder. Dododex is good for taming, but not good for breeding. Since OP is breeding bigfoots rather then taming them, better to go by smart breeder.

2 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

Yea, I am using the Smart Breeder. Dododex is good for taming, but not good for breeding. Since OP is breeding bigfoots rather then taming them, better to go by smart breeder.

7 minutes ago, Demerus said:

a lot of people don't realize this very important line under the calculator:

Dododex is only good for pretame stats.

Smart Breeder is best for post tame, but can also do pre tame just fine.

dodo pre tame.jpg

I have never heard of smart breeder, I've only ever used dodex myself. Does someone have a link to smart breeder?

@Revan25 it's pretty easy to find via Google search man

@Demerus that's actually pretty explicitly stated for both stat calculators pictured above but more specifically states "for pretame and is unreliable for bred or tamed." Still can be used for reference though and would still be a viable explanation as to how Frogspoison and I came up with different initial findings

43 minutes ago, stevealicious said:

@Revan25 it's pretty easy to find via Google search man

@Demerus that's actually pretty explicitly stated for both stat calculators pictured above but more specifically states "for pretame and is unreliable for bred or tamed." Still can be used for reference though and would still be a viable explanation as to how Frogspoison and I came up with different initial findings

I did an initial google search and came across "GitHub" where you have to sign up and  it doesn't seem like the right place but I could be wrong.

Archived