Aberration Wooden Elevator Guide: Function and Build

ArkCreation

Hey Survivors of the Aberration and twisted mind of wildcard designers!

I've decided to do a complete run through of Ark's new wooden ladder system. How it works, resources, limitations, and what to expect to get out of this new structure in Ark's new map Aberration. I took a long break after a year of play and happy to jump right back in with Aberration. Thus this how to thread started and my enthusiasm to create it.

- The Map of Aberration has many new challenges. As well as some old ones you might be familiar with. One of these things is travel. The art of getting around Ark. There are many ways to traverse this epic landscape... giant system of caves... a massive land of mushrooms and nothing may do it better than a solid Rock Drake tame, ravager, basilisk, or whatever suits you're fancy. ;)   Then you have ziplines, climbing gear, and glider suits!    The one we are somewhat already familiar with is elevators. So let's get into it and start off with a FAQ shall we?.  (adding to this as the post progresses.)

TABLE OF CONTENTS

---------------------------

1.1 FAQ

1.2 Resources

1.3 Build Order & Function

1.4  Closing Comments

-------------------------------------------

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions.) 1.2

- HOW DO YOU BUILD THIS THING???

--- Glad you asked. this will be covered in the next two seconds on how to build it properly.

- DO WOODEN ELEVATORS REQUIRE POWER?

--- They in fact do not require electricity of any kind! You can immediately start using it once you have setup the proper structure components!

- HOW DOES IT WORK AND DIFFER FROM THE ELECTRIC ELEVATOR?

--- The wooden elevator as mentioned above does not require electricity to power it. Much like a pully system using a lever and gears at the top of the elevator. This is the only way to control it. There is no way to lower or raise the platform from the bottom.

- WHERE CAN I FIND IT AND WHAT DO I NEED TO MAKE IT?

--- 1. Well first you need to be level 20 minimum to unlock the engrams. Attaining level 23 and 30 will allow you to spend engram points on the medium and large platforms.

2. Can only be built in a Smithy.

3. Requires Fiber, Fungal Wood, and Metal to craft each part. These parts are the Wood Elevator Platform, Wood Elevator Track, and finally the Wood Elevator Top Switch. 

- CAN I MAKE THE WOOD PLATFORM ON ANY MAP?

--- Yes you can. Just like the Scorched Earth expansion you're survivor has to be on Aberration with the necessarily level and points to unlock. After that it can be constructed in a Smithy on any other map. The only unique resource required is Fungal Wood. And you can ONLY find that on Aberration.

- CAN YOU TRANSFER THE ELEVATOR STRUCTURE PARTS AND RESOURCES OFF OF ABERRATION?

--- Yes through a drop/loot crate or Obelisk as normal. Currently this close to release of the aberration map you cannot transfer any items onto the map, but you can transfer items out.

- WHERE CAN I FIND FUNGAL WOOD AND METAL ON ABERRATION?

--- Fungal wood can be found just about anywhere on the map except for on the surface. They look like mushrooms... trees... yeah.Can be harvested by punching, stone or metal picks and a variety of dinosaurs.   Metal can be a bit more tricky in starter areas. You can refer to the link here: https://ark.gamepedia.com/Resource_Map_(Aberration) . Luminous Marshland and caverns lower and farther east on the map will have metal of plenty which is roughly 75% of the map. 

---------------------------------------------

1.2 RESOURCES

"PHEW! Enough already let's get down to brass tacks!"

Fair enough. Let's go through the resources requirements for each part and then can start building this monstrosity!

(Resources listed by in-game engram menu)

- Small Wood Elevator Platform, MEDIUM, AND LARGE

- Fiber: (S) 175, (M) 350, (L) 600

- Fungal Wood: (S) 185 (M) 285, (L) 650

- Metal Ingot:  (S) 20, (M) 30, (L) 85

- Wood Elevator Track

- Fiber: 45

- Fungal Wood: 185

- Metal Ingots: 5

- WOOD ELEVATOR SWITCH

- Fiber: 200

- Fungal Wood: 125

- Metal Ingots: 35

----------------------------------------------------

1.3 BUILD ORDER, FUNCTION, & LIMITATIONS

The RAW MEAT of the post right here!

In order to build this properly without I will go through a step by step process so that the parts themselves work as intended and you will have an easier time building this yourself through my trial and error rather than waste precious time and running out of water 50x before its done. First time using elevators and Aberration wooden is you're first time? Let's brush up on some basics!

BUILD ORDER

First: Place down Foundation or track. This will be at the base of you're elevator. You can try snapping track from the top of the elevator using foundations if you want as well. In fact it might be better to start from the top-down.

Second: Place ONE track (if you placed a foundation first).

Third: Check platform snap points. ( make sure the platform is facing the direction you want).

Fourth: Place down all you're tracks you plan on using.

Fifth: Very IMPORTANT Place you're Wooden Elevator Top switch at the top of you're track. (more on this later.)

Sixth: Finally place down you're platform. I have not seen an issue placing this on the bottom, top, or middle tracks.

The reason you put the wooden top switch on before you're platform is you might run into a problem where the platform will not run the entire length of the track and will get stuck partway. Much like the metal electric powered elevators (if you've ever used elevators before, but then why would you be here reading this if you haven't?)  the placement is identical and works the same way with or without foundations.)

There are two ways to go about placing an elevator track. 

- 1. Throw down a foundation where you want to build you're elevator and then snap an Elevator Track to the foundation where you want the neck of the elevator to be. (foundation type does not matter here.)  You can snap onto the foundation, OR if you plan on not wanting the foundation as part of you're elevator design, you can cycle through the snap points to place the track adjacent to the foundation. When placing a foundation for you're track it is very IMPORTANT which direction the foundation is facing. As this will determine how the track faces as well and what side the platform will be as well.

---- IMPORTANT NOTICE: Make sure you place a foundation down facing the side where you want the platform to be. Meaning if you place a track down immediately after placing a foundation, the same side you're standing on from the foundation is where you're platform will be.

- 2. The other way to place a track is to simply throw it down anywhere you're heart desires and aspire to create you're endless spire to the surface and beyond... okay sorry. Went off on a tangent. This method I would avoid as you're placement might be at an angle that is displeasing to the eye. And we want this expensive thing to look good right? Well not as expensive as an electric elevator.

LIMITATIONS

----------------------

Oh Ark how I love you and you're primitive technology. Ahem, so with this marvel of engineering it comes at a price. Not just in resource, but in function. This wooden elevator can only be operated by the wooden top switch located at, drum roll at the top of you're elevator. There is no automatic button release on the platform itself. So if you want to move it you'll have to be at the top of the elevator. There is a reason this thing only requires you to be level 20. You were expecting a fully functional elevator? Perhaps they may change this, but this limitation does have a quality that feels more immersive.

Does this appeal to you're tribe full of half naked people raising dinosaurs sensibilities? Hey you can give you're useless tribemates. you know the ones. and designate them as you're elevator man. Pay him in bananas. Man Wildcard thought of everything with this one! Okay I came up with that myself, but I like to think the intent was more tribe oriented.

The Lever works two ways.

It can lower the platform the entire length of the track by simply using the radial menu to release platform. It will thus travel the entire track till it hits the bottom. 

It also raises the platform. The kicker here is it raises it one track at a time. So you might find yourself clicking that lever several times.  In Aberration a glider or zipline or dino might be more fitting to getting to those tall slopes and plateaus. So in this writers humble opinion an elevator like this would be so much fun to play with, but I might limit to short range travel.

The upside to these limitations might be having an early way to transport dinosaurs on platforms or several players without traveling around the entire Aberration map to get to where you want.

After a weekend already I have seen how hard it can get around on this map. Especially when it involves other tribes excessive building and "I must close off my entire base habits at the expense of accessibility of paths around the map. (thank goodness you can still build pipes off of other players for water to you're high tower base. Then you can feel like a king among peasants.)

----------------------

1.4 CLOSING

I would like to thank my tribemates (FAM) for getting me back into the game and experiencing Aberration together.

I hope this guide was helpful and you enjoyed reading. If there is any suggestions or comments or additions or things I missed or if you simply want to rant or comment random thoughts please feel free to do so. I could really use the feedback too.

If there is a request I might write another guide on here again. I enjoyed writing it and I hope you enjoyed reading it as well.

In the words of Sun Tzu,

"Can you imagine what I would do if I can do all I can?"  Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Archived