Legacy Servers Worth Playing Right Now?

kwolfaudio

Hello all, 

Just wondering, is it even worth playing on a legacy server? I don't have much, but I don't want to get started just to have to move again in five days. I don't understand why they legacy servers aren't getting support. Basically legacy servers are just a temporary spot for people to move their stuff until the official release comes? 

The better question is ark worth playing right now? I know that on official servers at least the new servers are about to be a living torture pit for anyone PvE or PvP as the large tribes take ownership of them. I know my tribe is KoS'ing for any one showing up. Your best bet is to stay in an unofficial until things settle down and try to come back then.

55 minutes ago, kwolfaudio said:

Hello all, 

Just wondering, is it even worth playing on a legacy server? I don't have much, but I don't want to get started just to have to move again in five days. I don't understand why they legacy servers aren't getting support. Basically legacy servers are just a temporary spot for people to move their stuff until the official release comes? 

The legacy servers have several problems and will be slowly shut down as that is really the only fix.

I'd suggest just play single player till the new server come up then join them.

Trust me, the game has a big learning curve so it won't be waisted time.

21 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

The legacy servers have several problems and will be slowly shut down as that is really the only fix.

I'd suggest just play single player till the new server come up then join them.

Trust me, the game has a big learning curve so it won't be waisted time.

Thanks man, I'm not new to the game, just new to the server and didn't wanna waste time building anything if I have to just demo it in five days.
Legacy servers are eventually going to be abandoned by the players going to new official servers and then deleted too, you think?

I don't know if this no support for legacy thing is a good deal.

1 minute ago, Shoosty said:

For those who are well established on Legacies, they're still the place to be.  But for any one starting out or who has very little invested, the "fresh" servers are a better bet.

The large tribes will take over the new servers as well. Many of them are doing it out of revenge for the lies. Others simply because they want new territory.  If the release of ragnarok has taught us anything it is that these upcoming months will be utter chaos for any not in a alpha tribe.

Just now, lvirusl said:

The large tribes will take over the new servers as well. Many of them are doing it out of revenge for the lies. Others simply because they want new territory.  If the release of ragnarok has taught us anything it is that these upcoming months will be utter chaos for any not in a alpha tribe.

Well I mean, that's just a "feature" of PvP in Ark, especially since they enabled cross-ark transfers.  Mega tribes are gonna mega, in a game that's 80% grinding.

Personally, I think WC is full of excrement with their confidence (more like hubris) that they will definitely have duping and DDOS fixed for launch, considering their supposed fixes have never been deployed live.  If it was that simple, they should have done it half way through development and saved themselves a million headaches down the line.

But I've been wrong before.  We'll see.

3 minutes ago, kwolfaudio said:

Thanks man, I'm not new to the game, just new to the server and didn't wanna waste time building anything if I have to just demo it in five days.
Legacy servers are eventually going to be abandoned by the players going to new official servers and then deleted too, you think?

I don't know if this no support for legacy thing is a good deal.

I can guarantee they all end up getting wiped. It's not an if, just a when.

If they planned on keeping them around they wouldn't have just put a kill list out and pulled support.

The new servers are the way to go for sure. PVE will be especially fun with fresh start. PVP will be great but difficult, top 5 largest tribes from legacy are moving to the new servers so beware.

Legacy servers will completely die sooner or later. Support will be focused on the new servers completely, which is good news to players truly wanting the Ark Experience.

1 minute ago, Samula said:

The new servers are the way to go for sure. PVE will be especially fun with fresh start. PVP will be great but difficult, top 5 largest tribes from legacy are moving to the new servers so beware.

Legacy servers will completely die sooner or later. Support will be focused on the new servers completely, which is good news to players truly wanting the Ark Experience.

They'll get the true ark experience alright. And I would say far more then just the top 5 tribes are making their way downtown. PVE won't be safe either... There are PvE Alphas and don't doubt for a minute that pillars and walls won't be blocking everything there.

3 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

They'll get the true ark experience alright. And I would say far more then just the top 5 tribes are making their way downtown. PVE won't be safe either... There are PvE Alphas and don't doubt for a minute that pillars and walls won't be blocking everything there.

There are rules in place on PVE servers that will allow players to report those tribes.

PVP Ark Experience is something people need to discover for themselves. Most people trust their surrounding and try and build up completely hoping on the fact noone will raid them. PVP was designed to be raided, if your not thinking about every possible situation before it happens you will fail.

When players play PVP with a true emphasis to have fun and that they are going to have fun weather they get raided or not thats what determines the experience. I played Ark since release. Been raided many times before I figured out its either Gorilla warfare (Which is awesome) or I can play with a group that developed over time. I was invited to a group 2 years ago that started with 15 people..... That group is now spartans, one of the biggest tribes. Alpha tribes in the game figured out how to play PVP, They didnt just start on top. We were wiped multiple times before we really started doing good and destroying other alpha tribes.

1 minute ago, Samula said:

There are rules in place on PVE servers that will allow players to report those tribes.

PVP Ark Experience is something people need to discover for themselves. Most people trust their surrounding and try and build up completely hoping on the fact noone will raid them. PVP was designed to be raided, if your not thinking about every possible situation before it happens you will fail.

When players play PVP with a true emphasis to have fun and that they are going to have fun weather they get raided or not thats what determines the experience. I played Ark since release. Been raided many times before I figured out its either Gorilla warfare (Which is awesome) or I can play with a group that developed over time. I was invited to a group 2 years ago that started with 15 people..... That group is now spartans, one of the biggest tribes. Alpha tribes in the game figured out how to play PVP, They didnt just start on top. We were wiped multiple times before we really started doing good and destroying other alpha tribes.

I'm quite well aware of the pvp tribes and how the big ones got there, we were even in an alliance with you guys at one point. I too shared a similar experience as you in PvP. But my point is that you and I are in the minority most players don't want to put that kind of dedication into the game. So they end up quitting because it is not fun. These new servers are only going to exacerbate this as I'm sure you know KoS will be in place for quite some time in PvP. As for PvE since when did the report function help them before. All the time I saw threads about PvE tribe X Is blocking Y and the post would be bumped for months.

4 minutes ago, lvirusl said:

I'm quite well aware of the pvp tribes and how the big ones got there, we were even in an alliance with you guys at one point. I too shared a similar experience as you in PvP. But my point is that you and I are in the minority most players don't want to put that kind of dedication into the game. So they end up quitting because it is not fun. These new servers are only going to exacerbate this as I'm sure you know KoS will be in place for quite some time in PvP. As for PvE since when did the report function help them before. All the time I saw threads about PvE tribe X Is blocking Y and the post would be bumped for months.

Yeah makes sense, Hopfully admins stay on top of all that.

I have almost two years experience playing PvP Ark, even led an alpha on 535 on the PS4 before I moved to PC. It's just sad to see the shift this game is taking instead of rewarding the players who playtested the game for years now, they tell them to move and start over. I think emphasis should've been placed on the servers that are active vs the new ones..

18 minutes ago, kwolfaudio said:

I have almost two years experience playing PvP Ark, even led an alpha on 535 on the PS4 before I moved to PC. It's just sad to see the shift this game is taking instead of rewarding the players who playtested the game for years now, they tell them to move and start over. I think emphasis should've been placed on the servers that are active vs the new ones..

I agree that this was absolutely not the best way to handle it.

There's many reasons it's standard practice to wipe all servers for release. And those reasons are in abundance on these servers.

They should've just stuck with their initial decision to wipe.

But as they are young and new to it, one of them made the mistake of promising no wipes a long time ago. Before the problems reared their ugly heads.

12 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

I can guarantee they all end up getting wiped. It's not an if, just a when.

If they planned on keeping them around they wouldn't have just put a kill list out and pulled support.

They have been promising a kill list for months now so i don't think thats the nail in the coffin or anything. All server new and legacy will be wiped someday. Its not an if, but when for them all!

10 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

There's many reasons it's standard practice to wipe all servers for release. And those reasons are in abundance on these servers.

But as they are young and new to it, one of them made the mistake of promising no wipes a long time ago. Before the problems reared their ugly heads.

Then they promised to LOOK at the lowest 10% like 1 month ago, and deleted 33%. No mistake they are just handling things poorly and it is not the fault of "one of them making a mistake".

10 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

I am not sure why you keep saying they are young and new, the people making the decisions have been in the industry for years making other games.

• Volunteer Moderator

If you haven't read this it gives you all the up to date information on legacy servers. 

Whether or not you should stay or go is something you should decide. There are a lot of other threads you can read through but bottom line its your decision what you do. Moving this to off topic because its your decision has no relevance to the actual game or gameplay.  Good luck with your decision.

Archived