Changes to Pillar Structure Decay!

Jatheish

I'm a little late to report this, but this "fix" deleted on of my tribe's Quetzals.  We had a Quetz platform that had a bunch of pillars on it, and we only noticed the day after this fix went live that it vanished with this patch.  It didn't die, didn't wander off, didn't fall through the world.  Pre patch it was there, and after the patch it was gone.

Luckily, it wasn't a very good Quetz, so I don't really care that it vanished, but you guys at Wildcard should be aware that this happens, at least since the most recent patch.  More and more people will lose platform saddled dinos to this unless it's fixed.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Granthe said:

I really can't believe they haven't responded to this yet. They've been active on the forums and every other place, but they have just ignored this thread like it doesn't exist. Really shameful.

I'm afraid that appears to happen anytime there's a contentious issue - don't worry though the usual team of wildcard apologists have been active... makes you wonder if they are dev accounts in disguise

I have a question for the Devs.... since you have decided to pretty much remove pillars as a way to keep the trolls at bay does this mean you will be more than happy to come on to my server and remove the bases that are going to start popping up around my base? I placed pillars around my area. I didn't go crazy and pillar 3/4 of the map, just my own little space. I stopped caring about who does what on the rest of the map about 6 months ago. The only thing I really care about is my own little space. Now thanks to you making these changes I get to look forward to people coming in and building right on top of me which in turn will affect my game play. I certainly don't think that is the intention of this change but I am left with this sinking feeling that it just might be. I play on PVE, I don't bother anyone and I don't want to be bothered. I could put out foundations which will effectively kill all the spawns around me making my small space look like a wasteland, or the Devs can agree to quickly respond to tickets being filed concerning intruders. They can easily check server logs to see who was there first and then simply remove any structures the intruder placed in the contested area. If the Devs will give written/typed confirmation that they will do this then I will gladly support this new change.

I put double foundations where rocks spawn, as I choose to remove ones that my Rex gets stuck on, and a few double foundations where bamboo blocks the view. For the rest I put stone pillars snapped onto a stone fence foundation out to around base about render range. The dinos and resources still spawn and trolls can't build within my render range to lag me on purpose. The server is huge, people don't have cause to build a thatch doormat unless they are clueless or trolls. I'm not on a spawn point...

On 6/13/2017 at 11:06 PM, Jat said:

Hey guys,

Lone Pillars that are connected to non-spawn blocking structures will be destroyed on Official Servers after 12 hours.Decay time is otherwise unaffected for all other types of structures. Our intent is for players who claim land to make use of the land, and not just hold it. We'll be monitoring this change to see whether it has an effect on pillar claiming and make changes as necessary. This change is only on our Official Servers, but Unofficial Servers will soon gain the functionality to make this change.

Thanks,

Jat

Garbage change. I need my claimed land's resources but i require a large chunk of land due to poor node output. It literally took me a 14 hour shift of constant work to output just short of 40 behemoth frame a and gate sets for a trade. 12 hours is to short even for freaking a person that plays everyday. You are really making this a terrible game. People that cant handle a game requiring your time to play on officail need to stay in off line. Plenty of servers have prime locations to build and thrive. There is a hill next to where i live where literally no one has lived on other then a small shack a month and a half ago. The only reason no one lives there is because its in-land and no spawn points are located in there.

The problem isnt people claiming land its people not willing to explore in the various servers to find a location that isnt disruptively close to others ability to thrive. If anything this change needs to be reversed and youd need to go and do a pass on spawn locations and break up the in land areas into more parts. Alot of the reason why people complain about bases is because all the people who have been playing for months are in the areas close to the spawns. While new people complain they cant get anything done cause they refuse to go in land

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, Nim said:

A fence foundation with a pillar snapped to it works. A pillar with a ladder on it works. Both methods allow dino and resource spawns and have the regular timer. By far these two methods are the most popular, anyone still using a ceiling on a pillar either doesn't know or doesn't care.

But now that you put the info on an official forum it will be patched. Even though they do not respond you can bet someone reads these. :)

On 14/06/2017 at 0:33 PM, bertrob2 said:

I think it is funny how everyone reacted to this post because they were the ones who pillar land claimed everything..lmao? this post is for you, because if you didn't pillar land claim everything then it wouldn't have been an issue in the first place now would it? Congratulations on shooting your self in the foot scenario..lol

Can I just say,  I have never pillared anything except the building I am in, and occasionally if its a high population area, a small area around my current construction so i dont get a "to close to enemy structure" message.

What i have seen happen, is where spawns were protected by the older players of the server, these have no *poofed* and now what we have is a race by new people who have just spammed the hell outa the whole area with 1 foundation and one doorway

20 hours ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

But now that you put the info on an official forum it will be patched. Even though they do not respond you can bet someone reads these. :)

If you think my post is the first one to tell what still works, then you haven't read this entire thread, you haven't read other threads and posts on this forum, you haven't read reddit and you haven't read the Steam forums. I'm sure it's even on twitter, which I do not use.

The devs would have found out regardless of whether anyone posted this info, just by playing the game or talking to their testers. Get out of here with your blame AND your pessimism. Hope is all we have left.

16 minutes ago, Nim said:

If you think my post is the first one to tell what still works, then you haven't read this entire thread, you haven't read other threads and posts on this forum, you haven't read reddit and you haven't read the Steam forums. I'm sure it's even on twitter, which I do not use.

The devs would have found out regardless of whether anyone posted this info, just by playing the game or talking to their testers. Get out of here with your blame AND your pessimism. Hope is all we have left.

You must have missed the smiley face at the end of my post. No blame or pessimism here. :) 

I actually thing the pillar thing is great. I have been playing for about 18 months and am sick of all the good land being pillared and new people not being able to build anywhere somewhat safe.. People complain about not being able to protect spawns, but that is where good communication and diplomacy fit in.

4 minutes ago, NathanAndDaddy said:

You must have missed the smiley face at the end of my post. No blame or pessimism here. :) 

I actually thing the pillar thing is great. I have been playing for about 18 months and am sick of all the good land being pillared and new people not being able to build anywhere somewhat safe.. People complain about not being able to protect spawns, but that is where good communication and diplomacy fit in.

Wow, wait until you actually run into a griefer. You can use communication and diplomacy on the average player. Typically when asked your neighbor will remove a pillar as long as you plan to build or place a replacement pillar, but most griefers won't even acknowledge your existence as they go about their business making your life on the server a living hell :D

49 minutes ago, wildbill said:

Wow, wait until you actually run into a griefer. You can use communication and diplomacy on the average player. Typically when asked your neighbor will remove a pillar as long as you plan to build or place a replacement pillar, but most griefers won't even acknowledge your existence as they go about their business making your life on the server a living hell :D

Been playing for 18 months... have seen my share of them. Been insided more than once, too. Heck, I tick enough people off sticking up for the noobs, confronting bullies, and reporting people that break the rules that I used to get kited all the time until they realized it was a waste of their time. My base designs incorporate dealing with jerks and kiters.

I still love it when someone asks where my base is so they can lure a golem or giga or titan to it.

The problem with my island server is that there are a ton of tribes that pillar off huge portions of the map that they will never use just so noobs cannot build. In my opinion that is not cool... especially when they only get on once a week and fly around to reset their timers because their main server is on the Center or scorched. My scorched server does not have that problem, though.

On 6/14/2017 at 1:06 AM, Jat said:

Hey guys,

Lone Pillars that are connected to non-spawn blocking structures will be destroyed on Official Servers after 12 hours.Decay time is otherwise unaffected for all other types of structures. Our intent is for players who claim land to make use of the land, and not just hold it. We'll be monitoring this change to see whether it has an effect on pillar claiming and make changes as necessary. This change is only on our Official Servers, but Unofficial Servers will soon gain the functionality to make this change.

Thanks,

Jat

THANK GOD!!!

On 6/14/2017 at 1:50 AM, cfrostyscriv said:

We placed pillars 2 high instead of a single pillar 1 high and it removed the decay timer,

I imagine instead of pillars there will just be 1x1 huts everywhere after this.

Exactly what we're doing. Cant hold resources of even keep people from building ladders around my arch. Lmfao gotta make it easier right WC everything youve done has made the game easier. 

I remember when this game actually took some skill. Thats not the case anymore.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:39 PM, NathanAndDaddy said:

Been playing for 18 months... have seen my share of them. Been insided more than once, too. Heck, I tick enough people off sticking up for the noobs, confronting bullies, and reporting people that break the rules that I used to get kited all the time until they realized it was a waste of their time. My base designs incorporate dealing with jerks and kiters.

I still love it when someone asks where my base is so they can lure a golem or giga or titan to it.

The problem with my island server is that there are a ton of tribes that pillar off huge portions of the map that they will never use just so noobs cannot build. In my opinion that is not cool... especially when they only get on once a week and fly around to reset their timers because their main server is on the Center or scorched. My scorched server does not have that problem, though.

Called map control. Dont like it attack them, or if your in pve just quit. Or play sp

On 6/23/2017 at 3:06 PM, wildbill said:

Griefer? You mean pvpers. Griefers are people that stalk you and harrass you. Pvping and blowing up bases isnt griefing. You carebears need to understand that.

On 6/23/2017 at 3:00 PM, NathanAndDaddy said:

Or build and do what you want. Diplomacy doesnt work in ark. Everyones cool til they think they can wipe you.

Hence why i kill everyone and everything i see. No talking. You guys will actually get ahead playing that way.

7 hours ago, Kurbbie said:

Griefer? You mean pvpers. Griefers are people that stalk you and harrass you. Pvping and blowing up bases isnt griefing. You carebears need to understand that.

Or could you be the clueless one? The only players that care about pillars are PVE players, and this thread is about pillars. So we aren't talking about PVP are we?

5 hours ago, wildbill said:

Or could you be the clueless one? The only players that care about pillars are PVE players, and this thread is about pillars. So we aren't talking about PVP are we?

It affects pvp players just as much if not more.

You obviously never have done map control before. 

Any game mechanic that is changed affects pvp and pve. There is no difference in mechanics aside from not being able to attack.

Are you going to contribute anything to the topic, or just complain about my opinion?

13 minutes ago, Kurbbie said:

It affects pvp players just as much if not more.

You obviously never have done map control before. 

Any game mechanic that is changed affects pvp and pve. There is no difference in mechanics aside from not being able to attack.

Are you going to contribute anything to the topic, or just complain about my opinion?

Actually as I have mentioned before (to somone with a similar argument) it effects PvE players the most.

In PvP if you don't like a building, pillar or structure, or if its just in your way you can destroy it. Be it a player who is in the way of your expansion plans, or someone building in Spawning locations (this includes Griefers and Trolls). PvP isnt as much of a concern with this issue as as you can just destroy/remove the problem. In PvE however it's not as simple as you can't do that. If a troll/griefers (Or even a new player that wants land or is just new to the game) builds in a spawning area you have to hope that they will move off the server and the decay timers for their huts (which we know they will buld to troll servers with) will run out so the land can be preserved again. There isn't much else that can be done unfortunetly. So for those of us that enjoy playing the game in a more relaxed and social way, we have to deal with griefers like this once in a while.

See the main issue with this change isn't so much the decay itself but, as you said, map control and preservation. It's mostly a PvE problem due to us not being able to destroy structures that could obstruct important resorce and dino spawn locations in the game. Sure if you have a good comunity you dont need to worry about it, but let's face it the only way to stop a troll is to keep them away from the server. 

So you're not wrong in your statement as changes do effect both sides of gameplay. However the effect is more noticeable and troublesome for those of us in PvE (that have no way to combat the issue at hand).

Cant wait for the following patchnotes:

Patchnotes v999.99:

- Made it so lone gates and gateframes not connected to a blocking structure will disappear after 12 hours
- Fixed attaching ladders to lone pillars extending the demolition times of said pillars (now disappear after 12 hours too)
- Fixed building a pillar on top of a fence foundation extending the demolition times of said pillars (now disappear after 12 hours too)

- Completely screwed all official PVE servers regarding dino spawns and resources

Well done Wildcard :D

16 hours ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

Cant wait for the following patchnotes:

Well done Wildcard :D

The only problem, they won't necessary tell you in a patch notes these changes.... I rather expect them to write something like "Redesigned land claiming pillar handling" and then it is up to us to test what that actually mean...

Archived