Changes to Pillar Structure Decay!

Jatheish

Just now, Scrymgarr said:

oh so were just supposed to accept things when they change them? not discuss them and explain our point of view on why we think this change will do more harm to the game we love then good?

at least they are trying something.  they could just sit back and do nothing,  

you gotta remember they are GOD   they can do damn well what they please

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, spacejam said:

at least they are trying something.  they could just sit back and do nothing,  

you gotta remember they are GOD   they can do damn well what they please

Not really, people will say get lost, they have no people on the server so no reason to pay for empty server and the game closes. Who's the god then? *Sigh*

1 minute ago, Rotix said:

So basically you can just add a ceiling to your pillars to prevent 12H demo. Just adding an extra step to claiming land. 

Yes, but if you want a more low profile and not delete spawns and resources in the area by doing that, fence foundation + pillar still works the exact same as double pillars but has normal decay and is the same height as a single pillar.

I personally have no idea why players did double pillars when pillar+Fence foundation was better anyway but I stopped questioning people's build choices a long time ago.

Interesting, I seem to be misreading comments or simply failing to understand. So double pillars does in fact prevent the 12H demo as well as the fence + pillar? I thought pillars without spawn blocking structures gets the 12 hour decay, and fence isn't spawn blocking? Sorry for the confusion, I'm confused too lol. 

I've tried playing on a PVE a few times and never had a chance to build. When this new map came out, I finally was able to pillar land for myself, spent hours doing it yesterday. Wish I could keep land without losing spawns

6 minutes ago, Rotix said:

Interesting, I seem to be misreading comments or simply failing to understand. So double pillars does in fact prevent the 12H demo as well as the fence + pillar? I thought pillars without spawn blocking structures gets the 12 hour decay, and fence isn't spawn blocking? Sorry for the confusion, I'm confused too lol. 

I've tried playing on a PVE a few times and never had a chance to build. When this new map came out, I finally was able to pillar land for myself, spent hours doing it yesterday. Wish I could keep land without losing spawns

Pillars alone regardless of how many are stacks poof. Pillar + fence foundation = 8/12/15 day timer depending on the material. Anything on regular foundations also applies to the same decay as I detailed. This was as of a few hours ago when I noticed one of my neighbors lost about 70-80 double pillars. My Pillar + Fence foundation were unaffected so I went to another guys who did the same, their pillar + fence foundation combo were at 11 day 13 hour timer (stone is a 12 day decay).

That's what you have to do now if you want to prevent resource and spawn denial, Pillar + fence foundation. The thing is, it shows WC didn't think this plan through and regardless of what they do, this methodology just doesn't work. Expect Pillar + fence foundation to get nerfed, then they will make only foundations work in which say goodbye to spawns as players established will prefer to do this over letting players build.

This is why I detailed my method on page 2. I have gone through every possible permutation, solution and mechanic and only that seemed to work.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Darkintellect said:

That's what you have to do now if you want to prevent resource and spawn denial, Pillar + fence foundation. THe thing is, it shows WC didn't think this plan through and regardless of what they do, this methodology just doesn't work.

Double pillars still shows regular timers as well. I believe they implemented it the same way as dinos/bases deletion; when it is rendered, if timers is lower than 12 hours it gets deleted. So the timers you see on fences + pillars might not be the actual timer as Jat stated:

17 hours ago, Jat said:

Lone Pillars that are connected to non-spawn blocking structures will be destroyed on Official Servers after 12 hours.Decay time

And since fence are non-spawn blocking structures, pretty sure they are included and you will have some surprises on connect soon enough. ;)

1 minute ago, invincibleqc said:

Double pillars still shows regular timers as well. I believe they implemented it the same way as dinos/bases deletion; when it is rendered, if timers is lower than 12 hours it gets deleted. So the timers you see on fences + pillars might not be the actual timer as Jat stated:

And since fence are non-spawn blocking structures, pretty sure they are included and you will have some surprises on connect soon enough. ;)

All I know is every double pillar on my server has poofed, all that remains are pillar + fence foundations. When I check the decay timer, they all read the same as stone base structures, 12 day timer minus however long they were offline.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Darkintellect said:

ALl I know is every double pillar on my server has poofed, all that remains are pillar + fence foundations. When I check the decay timer, they all read the same as stone base structures, 12 day timer minus however long they were offline.

Maybe fence are blocking spawns but in a lower radius than actual foundations? Who knows. Just saying that no matters what we build, it will get screwed. For instance, a base I built with pillar walls:

178CB8CB55AE6AC148F8F1ED5AC2908FAB504834

Pretty sure the middle ones that are not linked to ceilings are now gone.

Just now, invincibleqc said:

Maybe fence are blocking spawns but in a lower radius than actual foundations? Who knows. Just saying that no matters what we build, it will get screwed. For instance, a base I built with pillar walls:

178CB8CB55AE6AC148F8F1ED5AC2908FAB504834

Pretty sure the middle ones that are not linked to ceilings are now gone.

Not sure honestly, I do know this change and the ambiguity with it all is a recipe for detrimental PR.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Darkintellect said:

Not sure honestly, I do know this change and the ambiguity with it all is a recipe for detrimental PR.

Yeah, this is a rushed fix so bobs and joes can have their thatch huts on the new map, will cause more harms than good on the long run that is for sure. Officials are getting garbage anyways. And now that they are done adding content, I believe the future of being entertained on ark are mods on unofficials.

Just now, invincibleqc said:

Yeah, this is a rushed fix so bobs and joes can have their thatch huts on the new map, will cause more harms than good on the long run that is for sure. Officials are getting garbage anyways. And now that they are done adding content, I believe the future of being entertained on ark are mods on unofficials.

If that's the case, I'm officially done honestly. I can't do unofficial with PVE anymore.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, tidalblade said:

I have a huge base built using pillars as foundations for ceilings(don't have to connect the pillars to the ceilings for them to be built) so I hope this doesn't bring that down.

If it was 12 hours expired when game updated, it probably is all gone. Let us know, the more people sharing stories about how it screwed them the better for devs to realize the non-sense.

3 minutes ago, tidalblade said:

Well it looks like this method of building is still viable, my big dino pen survived when my double pillars around my base did not.

advPillars.jpg

Likely because those pillars are chain linked. They operate on a different mechanic since that mechanic is required to float ceilings, something I know about quite well. 

Archived