How can a rock elemental kill a deathworm?

TheSnives

About a month or two ago I tried to kill my first deathworm. I took two low level golems and one mid level golem. The two low level golems were killed almost instantly and the mid level golem that I was riding had half health when I ran away. I know my stats were low but I'm confused at how quickly the golems died, especially since everyone is saying golems take half damage and can easily kill a deathworm. If any of you have killed a deathworm please tell me what level your golem is and what it's stats are. And if you have a different way to kill deathworms that will help too. I think my golems had around 200 melee damage and about 8000 health (keep in mind I play on Xbox single player and haven't changed the settings for dino damage). 

alternatives are a decent rex army (mateboost preferred, although a single 150 can still solo those worms) or a giga. both are much faster and easier to obtain higher tier saddles. wyvern is optional too but within a small margin with the flier nerf.

for golems, rock throw does most dmg. then hulk-smash and lastly the roundhouse punch. i'd jump off the golem and let it fight the worm while you pound in some firearrows. 

You might have been fighting a Alpha Deathworm. Almost any level/stat rock golem should be a able to handle a basic deathworm. A Wyvern with no saddle takes around 3-4k in damage so the fact your Golems with 8k+plus saddle say you were playing with a Alpha or some of your setting might be different. Reset your server settings to default to be sure.  

Yeah, bamboozled I think you're right. At the time It didn't even occur to me cuz I'd never seen an alpha deathworm before and assumed it'd have a different color pattern and that red mist. I don't remember seeing the red mist but I could've easily missed it. I can't think of any other way that TWO rock golems could've been wrecked so easily, and I don't think they even scratched the deathworm.

Ok I definitely wasn't fighting an alpha. The deathworm was still there and I checked. No mist or anything, the name was deathworm lvl 1. I also checked my golems stats. One golem is lvl 53, with 5000 health and 170 melee damage. The other is lvl 138, with 8000+ health and 289 melee damage. Can I kill a deathworm with just my high level golem?

19 hours ago, Kiethoo said:

Golems take FULL damage from Deathworms, 50% from other wilds.

3 hours ago, TheSnives said:

Really? When did they add this. Was it always like this?

Agreed. Fairly certain the official wiki says golems are one of the best ways to take down a deathworm. Because of their reduced damage. However can't comment as I've never tried it. 

HOLY CRAP, I was looking at dododex, and I decided to see how hard it would be to tame a giga. I DIDN'T KNOW IT ONLY TOOK 7 MUTTON AND 15 MINS TO TAME LVL 45 GIGA. This means that I can easily get a giga and kill a deathworm. So, now I'm wondering what stats on the giga I'll need. And if you have any tips on knocking out the giga that'd be great too.

P.S. someone told me that rock golems actually take increased damage from deathworms and that rexes and gigas are far better. Can anyone confirm this?

6 hours ago, TheSnives said:

HOLY CRAP, I was looking at dododex, and I decided to see how hard it would be to tame a giga. I DIDN'T KNOW IT ONLY TOOK 7 MUTTON AND 15 MINS TO TAME LVL 45 GIGA. This means that I can easily get a giga and kill a deathworm. So, now I'm wondering what stats on the giga I'll need. And if you have any tips on knocking out the giga that'd be great too.

P.S. someone told me that rock golems actually take increased damage from deathworms and that rexes and gigas are far better. Can anyone confirm this?

for giga - there are many strats but depending on your situation one is better than the other. since it appears you're not one of those admin command abusers and locate primarily on SE, this is what i'd do. obviously quetz is an option but one not so necessary. skill is a more fun way of doing it, and it involves kiting the giga to a favorable location. so, get stone behes (resource friendly solution) to make a trap and use a bird to kite the gig inside of it. get to higher ground and start tranqing with several high-end xbows you've obtained via SE deep sea loot crates. challenging but definitely enjoyable. that being said, rex strat is easier. plenty of spawns near south-east spikes.

also a quote from deathworm wiki:

Weakness

The Rock Elemental is resistant to all forms of damage except for armor piercing bullets and explosives. Along with its great offensive capabilities, it offers the best protection against a Deathworm. However, it is rather difficult to tame a Rock Elemental. It is recommended to either have 2 high level Elementals or 1-2 High Level Rex(s). Rexes seem to be the best way as they do more DPS than Rock Elementals.

9 hours ago, eESTlane said:

also a quote from deathworm wiki:

Weakness

The Rock Elemental is resistant to all forms of damage except for armor piercing bullets and explosives. Along with its great offensive capabilities, it offers the best protection against a Deathworm. However, it is rather difficult to tame a Rock Elemental. It is recommended to either have 2 high level Elementals or 1-2 High Level Rex(s). Rexes seem to be the best way as they do more DPS than Rock Elementals.

That quote is likely outdated. I suspect that the ability to easily kill Deathworms using Golems was an oversight when SE was first introduced, and they've since corrected this by allowing Deathworms to pierce the Golem's armor.

I've killed dozens of deathworms with golems, but the golems were always 145-150 (199+ after tame) kibble tames with ascendant saddles.  They kill slower than lightning wyverns or a few good rexes, so I only do it when I'm leveling up the golems.  I don't take much damage, maybe 1k health per deathworm, but since I can't forcefeed heal I only kill 8-10 before heading home.

Alpha deathworms have a firey aura, but it's nearly impossible to see during the day.  The size is the real indicator.  Deathworms also despawn very quickly, so it's possible that was a different worm when you came back.

Archived