The Biggest Issue With ARK - It Isn't Done Yet. We Need PvE Fun!

HighFlyer15

14 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

you mean like it used to be? obelisk boss fights were so easily exploited in the past, they were an even bigger joke than they are now

I mean mechanics tightened up and DPS check, I think the biggest issue is people are looking for game finishing boss fights. That is not the point of Ark boss's they are resource to farm like prime meat or alpha's for bp's. They shouldn't be ridiculously hard just more of a dps check against time. But this is just my opnion. I'd love to see a mechanic fight that is difficult, but it just isn't going to happen. We are meant to exploit this game currently another thing people don't understand. We bought a game to play and test. People shouldn't get upset when the exploits are fixed. 

1 hour ago, Kaoslion said:

FFXIV is a game that I play that treats their boss fights smartly. They use game mechanics and DPS checks to make something challenging and also fun.

Both FFXIV and FFXI are so well made and put together, it's a shame more games don't take note from what Square Enix accomplished with these MMO's.

I'm currently debating on buying a PS4 for FFXIV, or a PC for FFXI; I played FFXIV briefly during its release but I played FFXI for about eight years.

2 minutes ago, Irk said:

Both FFXIV and FFXI are so well made and put together, it's a shame more games don't take note from what Square Enix accomplished with these MMO's.

I'm currently debating on buying a PS4 for FFXIV, or a PC for FFXI; I played FFXIV briefly during its release but I played FFXI for about eight years.

FFXI is celebrating its 15 years of being online. I played that game for roughly 8 years on Xbox 360 and now have a PS4 and play FFXIV. I've beaten both realm reborn and Heavensword. I would go with FFXIV. Even though FFXI is the better story and game. 

37 minutes ago, Kaoslion said:

I mean mechanics tightened up and DPS check, I think the biggest issue is people are looking for game finishing boss fights. That is not the point of Ark boss's they are resource to farm like prime meat or alpha's for bp's. They shouldn't be ridiculously hard just more of a dps check against time. But this is just my opnion. I'd love to see a mechanic fight that is difficult, but it just isn't going to happen. We are meant to exploit this game currently another thing people don't understand. We bought a game to play and test. People shouldn't get upset when the exploits are fixed. 

As there is more then one boss u could implement one to be a dps check while the other is a skill challenge (dodge aoes, clear minion waves etc). I think its already meant this way as broodmother and dragon are pointing in this direction. Also u could implement different boss phases for example while the broodmother is going to summon spiders, trying to web u and acquires somesort of tactic over 25% she could enrage and start a straightforward attack with increased melee dmg under 25%, first would be a skill challenge second a dps check. And difficulty is defined by easy,medium,hard if someone wants to farm he can use easy mode or if hes is willing to take the higher risk higher reward hard mode.

6 minutes ago, SuperGenki said:

Watch out WC might "balance" this by making Rex balls hard to breed.

They are allready more difficult to breed then most other animals regarding the lenght of baby phase. Only advantage is they have good weight and can hold a lot of meat earlier. What they might "balance" is the amount of animals u can hatch at the same time as breeding currently is a better way to acquire a lot of animals in comparison to taming especially if it comes to high lvl animals.

dem FF memories :) 

had the 8th and didn't matter how much i leveled before the first battle against Ifrit, the fire boss, it was always "balanced". i presume there's a DPS multiplier in there somewhere, compared to your character stats. i remember the transformations the bosses went through the more dmg they took, with the occasional special attack (sometimes as a response for losing high amount of hp in a single strike .ie raged giga) and then mixed with the general attack it did...god, they didn't feel boring after 10 encounters. ark bosses definitely don't feel special in comparison.

i've also heard people put blame on UE for being old and complex and that's why there aren't as many developers out there. don't know how much of it is true but i assume it's 100% true xD. anyways, yes modders, finish the game. 

2 hours ago, eESTlane said:

dem FF memories :) 

had the 8th and didn't matter how much i leveled before the first battle against Ifrit, the fire boss, it was always "balanced". i presume there's a DPS multiplier in there somewhere, compared to your character stats. i remember the transformations the bosses went through the more dmg they took, with the occasional special attack (sometimes as a response for losing high amount of hp in a single strike .ie raged giga) and then mixed with the general attack it did...god, they didn't feel boring after 10 encounters. ark bosses definitely don't feel special in comparison.

Great memories! :D Unfortunately the bosses in ARK won't be as easy to code as the FF bosses since they were isolated fights. The AI wasn't shared across all bosses, like ARK and it's creatures. A guy with great AI knowledge on the Steam forum gave good reasons as to why Wildcard didn't just give them different phases throughout the fight.

I have to disagree on the "Caves" portion. Have you tried any of the caves with a wolf/saber lately? Central cave messed my tribe mate and me up when we dove in to look for a beetle or two. Central island gave has some of the lowest level supply drops and I went in with a level 95 character and got knocked out by scorps and snakes to fast! Went in with a saber and wolf and had to bail to heal since I wasn't getting enough meat from the cave to heal my wolf enough... 

21 hours ago, HighFlyer15 said:

I understand perfectly fine what they're doing.
They're simply showing off the mods and creatures. I do see why people find them interesting and I do find myself watching them once in a while to check up on different mods which I can't be bothered installing on my server.

What I'm asking for in ARK would not benefit them and that's fine. Mods bringing colorful animals to the game doesn't benefit me either. There's room for everyone. They find entertainment in simply taming a new creature every other day and showing it off to the world. I find entertainment in being presented with a challenging cave or mini-boss/boss, either doable solo or in a group, but not when that challenge is "locked" behind the only viable tactic of having to breed for months to get perfect stat Rexes only to lose them all to the Hard version of the Broodmother doing +6k damage per ball of acid, unless you glitch her into not attacking :| 

No you're missing part of the issue here.

Ark Youtubers have to produce new and exiting content every day (mostly every day) You can't really play official and make interesting youtube videos (this says something about the game itself) travelling 15 mins back and forth to farm metal nowadays with the nerf is not only very boring to watch but it's not something they can afford to do offline/off-air because of the timesink. The only option is to have mega dinos/mods and rates.

Also Sl1pg8r essentially plays PVE, since the whole server is one tribe thereabouts, and once you've tamed everything your done, finished. He has to keep installing ridiculous mods with ridiculous dinos just to keep the game interesting.

Short of tutorial videos on "how to tame" etc etc, the only other videos you have on youtube is brain mashing techno music while someone fast cuts footage of a server raid recorded on a potato. My tinfoil hatted self would say Sl1p doesn't really "enjoy" taming off a ridiculous dino and showing it off, its that he HAS to as his youtube channel views are 90% ARK in terms of views.

I play PVE, I've got no interest in TEK gear and most of the "exciting" updates have been big additions to the TEK tier, it's a pointless addition to the game that the cost of the items and the upkeep of the TEK gear far outweighs the usefulness or benefits. 

In terms of bosses, meh. Ive no interest of breeding 20+ rexes solo and levelling them all just for them to not be transported/glitched when travelling to and from the arenas (this happened every single time Ive every tried in the past) 

Just remember this equation WC, Hard does not = more time which does not = fun.

A recent example, flying to farm materials now takes 4 times longer, it's not harder or more challenging, it just...takes...longer. This simply isn't fun and more importantly on PVE serves no purpose whatsoever. 

5 hours ago, Iimmy said:

No you're missing part of the issue here.

Ark Youtubers have to produce new and exiting content every day (mostly every day) You can't really play official and make interesting youtube videos (this says something about the game itself) travelling 15 mins back and forth to farm metal nowadays with the nerf is not only very boring to watch but it's not something they can afford to do offline/off-air because of the timesink. The only option is to have mega dinos/mods and rates.

I actually deleted a segment in my post about being a Youtuber. I made videos on Youtube and I quit after 2 years of daily videos. I only did ARK videos a couple of months before running out of things to do and calling it quits overall, so I take my hat off for Slip for still being able to do what he does, because he's literally forced to make ARK videos, every single day, or lose Youtube as a job. Sure, he does get views on his other videos but nothing close to the lowest views on his ARK videos.

Everything takes so long to record. Find something entertaining to either show off or go through. And then we're back at the main issue. ARK isn't done so Wildcard can't focus on making fun content which will make people want to stay(unless they're fine with building forever and taming a new thing now and again). It all has to fit together in their final vision and then we might start seeing more fun oriented content. The game is fun but once you reach the endgame there's not much left to do but clear the few caves you haven't tried, take on the bosses after months of breeding and then go for the Tek cave(which is placeholder for now, I know I know).

They thought adding Element to the bosses would give people a reason to come back to the Boss fights again and again but there's no reason to when the gear is so eh. Plus, they're so cheap with the Element they're handing out. You don't just fly around with your jetpack(which you won't even have because you have to beat the Hard Dragon to obtain it) for fun because it costs Element. You don't use the Tek rifle, because it costs Element to fire. Same with the Tek saddles.
I do however use the Tek boots to not take fall damage from stepping off my Rex or Bronto.

15 hours ago, Rancor said:

I have to disagree on the "Caves" portion. Have you tried any of the caves with a wolf/saber lately? Central cave messed my tribe mate and me up when we dove in to look for a beetle or two. Central island gave has some of the lowest level supply drops and I went in with a level 95 character and got knocked out by scorps and snakes to fast! Went in with a saber and wolf and had to bail to heal since I wasn't getting enough meat from the cave to heal my wolf enough... 

Do you go through it naked? It takes at least 10 hits from anything to knock you out. None of the creatures in the cave are high level as it's the easiest cave on the Island :| 
You're level 95, bring a shotgun and any creature will die to the 2 shells loaded. You can solo any of the caves in the game. Don't understand why the central should give you any trouble :/ 

Archived