[EXPERIMENTAL SERVERS] PVP 120 Players, Increased Rates, Capped Tribes & No Tami

Jatheish

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/2/2017 at 7:58 AM, Pommer said:

You've got a jet pack what do ya need a moped for lol

Jetpack is end game material. Mopeds would be more 1/3 to halfway through with use for oil & gas. Was just a suggestion. But here's a question for you. How many bosses have you faced alone with no dinos to help fight? It'll be a lot harder to harvest that Element when you barely survive one boss fight without dinos helping to distract it as you pelt them with arrows & bullets

I'm really enjoying this new mode. Players really have to work together to get resources and night time is really tough, especially around troodon territory! I don't want this mode to be altered, but I'd really like to see a Mammals only tame server too. As far as we know reptiles are untameable, and its good to have some kick ass npc opposition. Since I've been playing this mode however, my single player game on the island map has changed spawns from increments of 5 to increments of 2 levels and I've no idea how to reset it. Anyone know how its done and will it happen every time I play? (apologies for double post)

On 2-2-2017 at 6:51 AM, BLiNNeMaNS said:

nice, this will significantly increase raft use
although i personally wouldn't go as far as excluding all tames.
(allowing phiomia for fertilizer production/mule, maybe disabling the saddle engram)

You can still run around and pick up the poop of herbivores to maintain your farm :)

I think the experimental server idea was great and I gave a try with my 2 friends on it for a week on THe Center Map. 

Pro: 

- it really has the survival feeling what is usually missing from the regular PVE/PVP servers. WE are having great time, hiding from high level rexes, hiding from powerful players looking for prey etc. 

- this gamemode really promotes teamplay. THere is nothing rewarding than bringing down a high level dino as a team of savages, then enjoying the meat and and the loot at a fireplace. 

- it really gives the feeling of achievement, when you can finally build a littele hut what is not raided by the next days. 

- it requires to learn and use often neglected items like bola, parachuts, ladders and other "dirty" tricks what usually not needed when you are able to tame dinos. 

Con:

- these servers definitely require admin presence and/or newcomer protection. By now, all servers are full of pillars and foundations almost everywhere where important resources -especially metal - are available. For example newcomers have almost zero chance to get metal, because all the reachable places are blocked by fences/spike walls. Its less than 2 weeks since the servers were started and the newcomer population now hopelessly handicapped.

- the newcomers need to have some protection mechanic to be able to grow. An idea from the steam forums - maybe player level could play a limiting factor who can kill who... eg people cannot attack lower level players until they are attacking (either the players or their properties, including opening the containers of the owners)

- the starter islands should have no buiilding policy (and maybe even no PVP, or some grace timer). For me it is OK that IM getting killed by higer level/better organised players (thats the reward of their work), but it is not OK if such players are blocking the resources on the spawnpoints and killing freshly born people who has absolutely no chance to grow. 

- clubbing/torpor mechanic somehow needs to be adjusted. As a level 20ish player I cannot count how many times I got one hit by a single club. There was only one case when I got killed because I lost all of my HP (thats I call fair fight), but whats the point to have armor, if it does not give protection? :)

10 hours ago, szabiferi said:

I think the experimental server idea was great and I gave a try with my 2 friends on it for a week on THe Center Map. 

Pro: 

- it really has the survival feeling what is usually missing from the regular PVE/PVP servers. WE are having great time, hiding from high level rexes, hiding from powerful players looking for prey etc. 

- this gamemode really promotes teamplay. THere is nothing rewarding than bringing down a high level dino as a team of savages, then enjoying the meat and and the loot at a fireplace. 

- it really gives the feeling of achievement, when you can finally build a littele hut what is not raided by the next days. 

- it requires to learn and use often neglected items like bola, parachuts, ladders and other "dirty" tricks what usually not needed when you are able to tame dinos. 

Con:

- these servers definitely require admin presence and/or newcomer protection. By now, all servers are full of pillars and foundations almost everywhere where important resources -especially metal - are available. For example newcomers have almost zero chance to get metal, because all the reachable places are blocked by fences/spike walls. Its less than 2 weeks since the servers were started and the newcomer population now hopelessly handicapped.

- the newcomers need to have some protection mechanic to be able to grow. An idea from the steam forums - maybe player level could play a limiting factor who can kill who... eg people cannot attack lower level players until they are attacking (either the players or their properties, including opening the containers of the owners)

- the starter islands should have no buiilding policy (and maybe even no PVP, or some grace timer). For me it is OK that IM getting killed by higer level/better organised players (thats the reward of their work), but it is not OK if such players are blocking the resources on the spawnpoints and killing freshly born people who has absolutely no chance to grow. 

- clubbing/torpor mechanic somehow needs to be adjusted. As a level 20ish player I cannot count how many times I got one hit by a single club. There was only one case when I got killed because I lost all of my HP (thats I call fair fight), but whats the point to have armor, if it does not give protection? :)

Completely agree to the above and matches my experience.

Some good ideas. Ya, maybe have special settings for easy spawn areas (probably been thought of many times):

• Reduce the structure limit so only small bases can be built 
  • No PVP (PVE only)
  • Add a few more metal nodes or river rocks to the easy spawn area
  • Add some no build areas
  • Reduce the decay timer for wood, stone, and metal to the same as thatch

In the medium spawn areas you could have ORP.

In the hard spawn areas, all out PVP like it is now.

On 2/2/2017 at 0:51 AM, BLiNNeMaNS said:

nice, this will significantly increase raft use
although i personally wouldn't go as far as excluding all tames.
(allowing phiomia for fertilizer production/mule, maybe disabling the saddle engram)

do what i do then. build a 4x4 foundation with 1 level of walls (railings work too but i prefer walls) & simply throw dodos into it. they stay within the area unable to get out & they provide eggs & poop. not sure if you can pick up wild dodos though, haven't tried it with a wild one. if not, just grapple & drag it in. they poop & if left on wander will drop eggs too.

Although im an xbox player and haven't played this game for months.

What i'd like to see from this game mode is: Being more focused on survival. It should start with your hunger. You should not be able to eat dinosaur meat. You should have to rely on eating fish and poultry and having to cook up various recipes. You can "tame" few dinos like the phioma, dodo, etc. Small tames more used for other sources of survival.

Dinos should be increased in difficulty and are more agressive towards player structures. These dinos would deal increased damage when a player is online. Plant x should be disabled from attacking wild dinos. Will make you rely more on using guns, catapults, (cant think of the other manned weapons). This would add a more fun survival aspect from fighting off wild dinos as well as players. This could also work for building alliances to help other tribes fight off wild dinos from their base.

Just a few thoughts. Im a little rusty on the ark life 

On 2/9/2017 at 11:02 AM, wildbill said:

Completely agree to the above and matches my experience.

Some good ideas. Ya, maybe have special settings for easy spawn areas (probably been thought of many times):

• Reduce the structure limit so only small bases can be built 
  • No PVP (PVE only)
  • Add a few more metal nodes or river rocks to the easy spawn area
  • Add some no build areas
  • Reduce the decay timer for wood, stone, and metal to the same as thatch

In the medium spawn areas you could have ORP.

In the hard spawn areas, all out PVP like it is now.

For me at least (a PVE player, but a possible PVP player that would focus on defense from raids, put not offense), the current state of these servers makes them not playable for me.

We just got raided on SE by what I think was a player from one of the other servers in the cluster. They hauled off everything. Didn't destroy much though, so not too bad. This was in one of the "easy" spawn areas of the map. The game is such a grind in this mode. I can literally spend 8 or more hours creating something that can be destroyed in 1/10 of that time. This seems way out of proportion.

This made me feel sick inside, hence why I think PVP as it exists in ARK just isn't for me. Going to stick with PVE. I do think I would play this mode in PVE or some modified version of PVP where there were safe zones though. Too bad this only came out in PVP, otherwise I would have tried a PVE version of it and been much happier.

I am loving this experimental server. It has made PvP interesting again, not just ptera's and quetzals. My only wish would be that light drops could be altered to have a little bit better gear in them than a normal server. If you live from middle jungle to the redwoods on the center map you cannot get any late game gear without having to walk or parachute across the map. Also maybe raise the decay timer on organic polymer and prime meat just a bit. Other than that great job guys and keep up the awesome work.

10 hours ago, ChetterSleeze said:

I am loving this experimental server. It has made PvP interesting again, not just ptera's and quetzals. My only wish would be that light drops could be altered to have a little bit better gear in them than a normal server. If you live from middle jungle to the redwoods on the center map you cannot get any late game gear without having to walk or parachute across the map. Also maybe raise the decay timer on organic polymer and prime meat just a bit. Other than that great job guys and keep up the awesome work.

I know what you mean about the Center. It has the resources too localized and normally you need a flyer to travel and get them. This also presents the problem that in PvP, it is too easy for one or two tribes to control vital resources. I started playing on the Center, but moved to SE because of this. Skull island had metal foundations in place to block all spawns. I assume the "alpha" tribe controlled at least one of the other good places to get obsidian.

Of course, playing on SE has the a much bigger PVE component than PVP, which fits my play style too.

First off, I enjoy the no tame servers but I think its more of a symptom of some of the flaws in the base game that this mode bypasses.

A big problem with survival games is offline raiding. You want a persistent world where you gather the tools and resources you need to survive, but you cannot protect it when your avatar goes brain dead while you must be away from the game. While no tame doesn't remove offline raiding, it makes online raiding more feasible (can't duck in and out of auto turret range). It also makes raiding (offline or online) less punishing. Sure you lose your items and blueprints but you do not lose hundreds of hours of taming as well.

Another issue is that ARK maps do not feel massive. No tame makes the map feel bigger because you cannot get around as easily. You develop more regional relationships (for better or worse). With flyers, a small map feels even smaller.

Taming takes way too long for how easily the tame can be lost. It has gotten to the point that decent tames (or god forbid hatching) require personally scheduling time in your life (with work, spouses, friends, etc). That's kind of crazy.

Storing dinos is onerous. Dinos are giant statues that you have to warehouse when not in use. It creates all sorts of weird issues with parking them and creating entry ways big enough. You could argue that is a design mechanic to balance the power of the tames but the reality is that dino sizes are somewhat random (mammoth needs a behe gate while a beaver is a superior animal and fits through a normal gate). Furthermore it is just ridiculous that animals rest standing with their tails out and their heads up.

So really while no tame is nice, it's mostly because tames are not balanced well. Certain tames like flyers are always better than ground tames, storing tames is too much work, and losing tames is too big of a price to pay.

I feel like a lot of the same goals could be met with a mode where flyers could not grab players and where players could revive tames in some way.

P.S.

Not limited to no tame, but cross ark is too easily abused. I have been raided day after day and I don't care as long as I have a chance at revenge, but when I am raided by some group from an unknown server and have no chance to retaliate that is imensely demoralizing and gets me to question if I want to log back in. Especially since people are keeping important stuff in lights overnight. Please think about ways to reduce looting and running or hiding spoils off server.

Throwing out an idea or two, I'd like to suggest some ideas myself:

1.) Removal of the Club/adjustment to Torpor effects

No one likes being bit once by a snake and being KO'd without anything to protect you, or how a lvl 3 Bob has a club and one-hit-KO's you. It simply just doesn't feel good knowing that someone can sneak up and KO you without an actual fight. I would like to suggest a nerf to the Club on these servers, such as reduced Torpor buildup from the weapon, or just the removal of it completely. I would also like to suggest an overhaul on the Torpor effects on Players, as being Knocked Out when you are only 50 Torpor sucks, when you have a max torpor value of 200.

2.) Removal of the RPG

Now, I know you guys might be thinking about this and wondering why I am suggesting this, but with Auto Turrets not being available and Plant X turrets not having the ability to shoot down RPG's, It sucks having your base broken into without much counterplay. I believe Grenades and C4 are in a fine spot.

3.) Slightly Easier Boss Battles

It might not be an issue, but with the removal of Dinos, I would be led to believe that Boss Battles would be significantly harder without them. I would like to suggest nerfing the bosses slightly, to still make it challenging but not a walk in the park.

4.) Some way to deal with Foundation/Pillar spam

This is a problem that has been around since the dawn of ARK, but is far more rampant (it feels like) on No Taming servers. With my arrival on a No Taming server, I couldn't find a spot to base for what felt like miles. I don't have a Fool-proof suggestion for this, but these servers might require some moderation from an Administrator, some changes to pillars/foundations, or no-build areas so everyone can access metal and such.

This is all I have for now, I'd like to thank you all for making a game that I have enjoyed for so many hours!

• Jen unpinned this topic

Archived