Questions: Fishing and imprinting

Typh0n90

Have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone has the answers to.

Firstly, fishing. Never bothered with it but got an mc rod bp from a drop and figured I'd give it a go. Been using leech blood. Does it make a difference if I use leech blood rather than sap? Seem to still catch coel/salmon and piranha. Enjoying it so far. A lot more relaxing than chasing drops.

Been awhile since I tried imprinting anything, never tried it solo before and I've never imprinted twins. Hatched a quetz egg and 2 popped out. This is fine except their time until needing care was different from the moment they were hatched. I assume this is normal? If so is there anyway to correct it without messing up the imprint? Having to take shorter naps to catch the first imprint, then stay up longer to wait for the second (don't see the point in going back to bed for 30-45 minutes.....).

As for fishing, you will only catch coel with sap, sap also hooks coel faster. Leech blood takes longer, but you get a broader spectrum of what you can catch, coel, salmon and pirahna. If you know of areas with high coel, sap is your better bet especially if you are trying to catch that big coel and there are a bunch of little salmon around.

There is literally no difference in the bait in terms of rewards, the only difference is what you can catch with it in terms of fish size or level, just fish type.

As for the twins thing i havent hatched any yet, so i dont know about changes in imprinting times for twins, i was under the assumption it would always be the same. Though i must know, did the twins have one with a shorter imprint time, or one with a longer time? Like one popped out with two hours whereas one popped out with the normal 3/40, or did one pop out with the normal and one pop out as a longer time?

I've done plenty of breeding and imprinting :) The imprint timer is random, even for twins. For all the twins I've ever hatched or birthed, they've always had the same coloration and stats, sex is sometimes different, but imprint is always random. Depending on what the species is, you might be able to still achieve 100% if you just set your alarm for the later imprint time, but some species you need to be very punctual. For a Quetz, you have some leeway on the amount of time after the imprint becomes available (because their maturation takes so long), so as long as it doesn't happen too much, you should be able to go by the later time and still reach 100%. I don't know how much extra time is built in, but there is some...

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

33 minutes ago, ilShadow said:

As for fishing, you will only catch coel with sap, sap also hooks coel faster. Leech blood takes longer, but you get a broader spectrum of what you can catch, coel, salmon and pirahna. If you know of areas with high coel, sap is your better bet especially if you are trying to catch that big coel and there are a bunch of little salmon around.

There is literally no difference in the bait in terms of rewards, the only difference is what you can catch with it in terms of fish size or level, just fish type.

As for the twins thing i havent hatched any yet, so i dont know about changes in imprinting times for twins, i was under the assumption it would always be the same. Though i must know, did the twins have one with a shorter imprint time, or one with a longer time? Like one popped out with two hours whereas one popped out with the normal 3/40, or did one pop out with the normal and one pop out as a longer time?

One popped out with just over 3 hours for the imprint and the other closer to 4 (3 hours and 50 minutes). Didn't think much of it until I started to need to do power naps and realised that one seems to always be taking a little longer to need care. Both at 39% now so *almost* halfway there xD

22 minutes ago, geneticbits said:

I've done plenty of breeding and imprinting :) The imprint timer is random, even for twins. For all the twins I've ever hatched or birthed, they've always had the same coloration and stats, sex is sometimes different, but imprint is always random. Depending on what the species is, you might be able to still achieve 100% if you just set your alarm for the later imprint time, but some species you need to be very punctual. For a Quetz, you have some leeway on the amount of time after the imprint becomes available (because their maturation takes so long), so as long as it doesn't happen too much, you should be able to go by the later time and still reach 100%. I don't know how much extra time is built in, but there is some...

Good to know :-) Didn't want to miss out on the extra imprinting because of it. I'll wake up for the first imprint as often as possible and sleep a little longer to be up in time for the second quetz when I need the extra sleep.

Cheers guys.

Regarding Leech Blood vs Sap - Leech Blood is almost always better.  It will had 1 whole quality point onto the "quality" number when you reel something in.  The only time I'd use up precious durability on a rod (they can't be repaired) with sap is if I was fishing purely to obtain raw prime/raw fish prime for taming purposes.  Otherwise, Leech Blood, 300%+ effectiveness rod and any coel over a 1.1 will get you MC/Ascendant blueprints.  You'd need to be fishing up 1.8+ size fish with sap to match what leech blood can get from a 1.1.

24 minutes ago, Brayn said:

Regarding Leech Blood vs Sap - Leech Blood is almost always better.  It will had 1 whole quality point onto the "quality" number when you reel something in.  The only time I'd use up precious durability on a rod (they can't be repaired) with sap is if I was fishing purely to obtain raw prime/raw fish prime for taming purposes.  Otherwise, Leech Blood, 300%+ effectiveness rod and any coel over a 1.1 will get you MC/Ascendant blueprints.  You'd need to be fishing up 1.8+ size fish with sap to match what leech blood can get from a 1.1.

Good to know! I was just thinking how i dont need leech blood anymore to fish.. until this! 

Have another question in regards to breeding. Due to doing it solo, researching a little more.

When looking at the breeding page on the wiki, under "caring for babies" it states - " Failure to do so will result in a lengthy development phase because of missed feeding." I've never accidentally/purposely starved a baby and was wondering how much truth/use there is in this? If I temporarily starve my adolescent quetzals what exactly would happen? Would growth stop/slow down and if so what affect would this have on imprinting? Specifically, would they maintain their current imprinting% and time until next care continue as normal?

Basically - Could I slow down growth by a few hours and buy myself a bonus imprint? ;-) lol

Archived