Deathworm Hunting Tip

GregoPeck

Ok, so I became aware of one way of finding Deathworms in the outer desert area of the map. If you fly low to the ground (like have your Wyvern angled with it's head towards the sand) and use the orbital camera (K key on PC), you could see them. I watched Sl1pg8r and others use this technique, but I haven't found very many this way. It was obvious on the videos I saw, but when I've found them that way, they seem to be really low under ground. However, I noticed something that could be a bug (or exploit). While flying through the outer desert area, you can often see a very brief flash of black in an area. This is a Deathworm. Since this may be a bug, it could get patched soon, so take advantage of it while it still works. I hope this helps, I just thought I'd share an observation I made.

I hunt the deathworms mostly on my rex now. And I did use the K key. But I really do not have to do that any more. I can most of the time see the bump in the sand. Even before it see me. I think for a flyer seeing some clue that they are there maybe a exploit. but I can not think it mater. After all my Rex now is nice and powerful. I just run around let them find me.  I even took a alpha worm the other day. But I had to work a lot more for that win. 

3 minutes ago, vonholtz said:

I hunt the deathworms mostly on my rex now. And I did use the K key. But I really do not have to do that any more. I can most of the time see the bump in the sand. Even before it see me. I think for a flyer seeing some clue that they are there maybe a exploit. but I can not think it mater. After all my Rex now is nice and powerful. I just run around let them find me.  I even took a alpha worm the other day. But I had to work a lot more for that win. 

Holy cow! I took a pair of mate boosted Rexes out for Deathworm hunting and they did well, although they lost about 1000 HP per fight. I've been killing them with my Fire Wyvern (I think it was a 140-ish egg) and it hurts (like maybe 2000-3000 HP per fight). I ran into an Alpha Deathworm and OMG I had to fly away! That's amazing that you took one on w/ a Rex. I'm sure I saw members of Pooping Evolved (like Sl1pg8r) take one on, but I don't remember how they killed it, so I may have to go back and see.

1 hour ago, GregoPeck said:

@vonholtz Did you get your Rex from breeding and imprinted or was it wild? What level did it start out as (if wild, was it a 120 or 150)? Also, what kind of saddle are you using (Mastercraft, Journeyman, etc.)?

The Rex i used was one of twin I breed. The father was a 116 kibble tame so !74. And the mother was a 108 kibble tamed 162. Both twin are the same and were born level 162. Both have a 100% imprint. Now I have my setting up a little bit. So it not set to official settings. They were both trained up a lot and the female had almost all stats put in to heath and damage. The saddle is primitive. Trust me I have to feed them a ton of meat after each fight. Then again the Father had killed 2 deathworms him self before i got the twin. But With him I had to run away feed it some meat and then go back after it. And I had to do the same with the alpha. attack run off heal and so on. That battle took better part of 10 to 15 minutes. But I am really not sure. I was trying not to die. 

Rex are a power house early on in Scorched Earth. there kibbles easy to get. And they are tall mounts that let me see over the area. as well as a lot of the dino in SE will not attack your rex even with you on it. less you attack them first. They get a lot of heath per level sent on it. as well as good damage. Oh and they get stuck on rocks easy. make knocking them out simple. Oh one note it took me most of a week of killing every rex on the map over and over again. to get a high level female to spawn.  

10 minutes ago, vonholtz said:

The Rex i used was one of twin I breed. The father was a 116 kibble tame so !74. And the mother was a 108 kibble tamed 162. Both twin are the same and were born level 162. Both have a 100% imprint. Now I have my setting up a little bit. So it not set to official settings. They were both trained up a lot and the female had almost all stats put in to heath and damage. The saddle is primitive. Trust me I have to feed them a ton of meat after each fight. Then again the Father had killed 2 deathworms him self before i got the twin. But With him I had to run away feed it some meat and then go back after it. And I had to do the same with the alpha. attack run off heal and so on. That battle took better part of 10 to 15 minutes. But I am really not sure. I was trying not to die. 

Rex are a power house early on in Scorched Earth. there kibbles easy to get. And they are tall mounts that let me see over the area. as well as a lot of the dino in SE will not attack your rex even with you on it. less you attack them first. They get a lot of heath per level sent on it. as well as good damage. Oh and they get stuck on rocks easy. make knocking them out simple. Oh one note it took me most of a week of killing every rex on the map over and over again. to get a high level female to spawn.  

Ah that makes sense. My Rexes were wild 150s that I kibble tamed on the Center and brought over to SE. I've been playing single player and I'm also playing with non-official settings. I tried looking for 120s on SE, but there are so few of them in the area of the map that's close to my base. I haven't explored the entire map, but I'm pretty familiar with the south side by the red obelisk. 

Anyway, thanks for the info!

3 minutes ago, GregoPeck said:

Ah that makes sense. My Rexes were wild 150s that I kibble tamed on the Center and brought over to SE. I've been playing single player and I'm also playing with non-official settings. I tried looking for 120s on SE, but there are so few of them in the area of the map that's close to my base. I haven't explored the entire map, but I'm pretty familiar with the south side by the red obelisk. 

Anyway, thanks for the info!

right around 70/70 on the map you will find a lot of rex. in and around the end of the river valley. right on out in to the desert. They spawn back fast. That where I found the 116 male. They also spawn around the middle of the map 40 to 50 lat. And 60 to 70 lon. That square on the map some times has a few in it. But all the one I have found there are low level. I am also playing single player and my difficulty set to 1.0. and I have only seen 2 120 dino. A carno and a wolf. and yes tamed them both. To bad I did not have kibble for the carno. But the wolf I did. I got it from the 120 carno I tamed. LoL

And now that I am thinking of it I also play on a privet island server with a kibble farm. I could have sent Ankylo kibble to myself. "Doh" LoL

2 hours ago, vonholtz said:

right around 70/70 on the map you will find a lot of rex. in and around the end of the river valley. right on out in to the desert. They spawn back fast. That where I found the 116 male. They also spawn around the middle of the map 40 to 50 lat. And 60 to 70 lon. That square on the map some times has a few in it.

Me and a friend play on official and we have hunt worms with rexes as well :) truth be told I really do find it one of the easiest ways to do it, but that might because we do not have wyverns yet.

But the last high-level female we found 145 was found near the lagoon at the blue obelisk, since hardly anybody ever looks there it likely was there a while before we spotted it.
We now have a nice high level pair we could set up for breeding and start working on imprinted Rexes. to make death worm hunting even easier in the future =)

12 minutes ago, Missing said:

Me and a friend play on official and we have hunt worms with rexes as well :) truth be told I really do find it one of the easiest ways to do it, but that might because we do not have wyverns yet.

But the last high-level female we found 145 was found near the lagoon at the blue obelisk, since hardly anybody ever looks there it likely was there a while before we spotted it.
We now have a nice high level pair we could set up for breeding and start working on imprinted Rexes. to make death worm hunting even easier in the future =)

I just got my first Wyvren tonight. All of level 16 and yes it looks like it going to suck. But dam I got one anyway. :D Oh and btw My rex is a lot better then the wyvren in many ways. And the big different is my rex can not fly. LoL

7 hours ago, vonholtz said:

right around 70/70 on the map you will find a lot of rex. in and around the end of the river valley. right on out in to the desert. They spawn back fast. That where I found the 116 male. They also spawn around the middle of the map 40 to 50 lat. And 60 to 70 lon. That square on the map some times has a few in it. But all the one I have found there are low level. I am also playing single player and my difficulty set to 1.0. and I have only seen 2 120 dino. A carno and a wolf. and yes tamed them both. To bad I did not have kibble for the carno. But the wolf I did. I got it from the 120 carno I tamed. LoL

And now that I am thinking of it I also play on a privet island server with a kibble farm. I could have sent Ankylo kibble to myself. "Doh" LoL

Thanks for the info. I think 70/70 or 60/70 is where I'm seeing them, in the valley and on the edge of where the land meets the desert. I'm also playing with difficulty set at 1.0.

Also, I don't think you can bring stuff from a private server to single player. I think it only works from official to official, unofficial to unofficial, and single player to single player. 

• 4 months later...

Hmm, I tend to find that killing other thinks tends to make more worms spawn. I just go around with my lvl 234 poison wyvern. :D I have done a bit of math here and found out a few things:

Deathworms and alpha deathworms always spawn at level one.

deathworms have 20k hp and 225 damage

alpha deathworms have 27k hp and 500 melee damage. 

SO

500/225=2.22222222222222222222222222222

27000/20000=1.35

1.35*2.22222222222=3

therefore, alphas are 3x as strong as normal deathworms. Here are my wyvern's stats:

18k hp

400% melee

2k stam

also it is a official server. Typically i lose 6-7k hp using only standard melee (I dont fancy killing myself with poison) which means: 

6*3=18

7*3=21

you will lose 18-21k hp with 400 melee using bite on a alpha deathworm. Hope it helps!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived