Question about oil pumps and water wells

vonholtz

Ok I am playing single players. I have found some oil pumps and wells in drops. I have little oasis where my base is. So water not a big deal. I also found some oil nods not fare from my base. But it near a lot of nasty critters that will attack on sight. Now I can take care of my character and deal with them when I am there. But will the critters attack my oil pumps and wells if I am not there?  

Side question do oil pumps need power?

6 minutes ago, PuffyPony said:

As far as I can tell, wild dinos shouldn't attack your oil pumps. I have a few set up west of Green Obelisk where Thorny Dragons, Terror Birds, Sabers, Raptors, and Wolves frequently spawn, but I haven't had any sign of them going for my pumps.

And fortunately, they do not need power 

Thank you

Wells are used on water veins so you can fill your canteens, irrigate crop plots, or provide a place for tame Morellatops to drink. Given that your base is by an oasis, just place them along water veins you have found while heading over to your oil well or resource runs. They should not get attacked unless you or a tame happens to be standing next to one and agros a wild creature.

Your oil wells may have taken damage from an electrical or sand storm. Then again, generators and other similar equipment have been taking environmental damage that is unique to the SE environment.

1 hour ago, vonholtz said:

Hmm do oil pumps take damage over time as they are working? I did not find any critters attacking my oil pump. But it was down about 200 heath the first time I went to it.  About over night in ark time.

I haven't noticed them taking damage from the environment.  But it could be that there was a fight between two critters right next to your oil pump.  THAT would damage them, and as a matter of fact, I have observed this myself near my own pumps.  (I wish the pumps weren't so delicate -- they're made of metal, for crying out loud!)

26 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

I haven't noticed them taking damage from the environment.  But it could be that there was a fight between two critters right next to your oil pump.  THAT would damage them, and as a matter of fact, I have observed this myself near my own pumps.  (I wish the pumps weren't so delicate -- they're made of metal, for crying out loud!)

I think to be on the safe side I am going to put walls around it one to two high with a door to get to the oil. 

Wild dinos don't attack anything when they are not rendered into view by a player on the server. Since you're in single player, any dinos you don't see won't be attacking anything.

That said, I also haven't noticed any dinos targeting them; even fought a rock elemental right next to it and ran for my life, and it just turned back into a rock and didn't attack the oil node. The nodes will take damage if you fight too close to it, though - they seem to be treated as wood strength as far as dino damage.

Archived