Rock Elementals need a buff?

Rotiart

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh,...yeah it just does not really get much from force feeding it, but you can force feed it, it just does not stack into health it seems as fast, but letting it each to heal naturally does better, besides, its got so much health that really one does not worry, they are worth the time and effort, they do a lot of damage over time, one hit won't take a wall down, but each hit does damage and while it has so much it can basically be a tank for your arsenal.

I had a 120 around my base, pillared it up, two cannons on a two block and nighty night........he's go so much health and nothing will attack him without attacking it first....

I've got around 4 now I think in the tribe, and only thing I hate is the speed....but I'm okay with that....

11 minutes ago, ehuhoser said:

Ahh,...yeah it just does not really get much from force feeding it, but you can force feed it, it just does not stack into health it seems as fast, but letting it each to heal naturally does better, besides, its got so much health that really one does not worry, they are worth the time and effort, they do a lot of damage over time, one hit won't take a wall down, but each hit does damage and while it has so much it can basically be a tank for your arsenal.

I had a 120 around my base, pillared it up, two cannons on a two block and nighty night........he's go so much health and nothing will attack him without attacking it first....

I've got around 4 now I think in the tribe, and only thing I hate is the speed....but I'm okay with that....

Yeah, but Christ, the unbearable down-time between raids.

All it takes is one guy with a decent saber while you're hitting some tiny adobe shack, and you have to postpone all your other raids for like, a day.

10 hours ago, Rotiart said:

Spawn one in singleplayer, forcetame it, make sure it's level 1, grab a friend in a Ghille Suit, and a Desert Suit (Likely what your opponents will be wearing) and see how many unarmed hits it takes to kill someone.

Then, if you want to even get even closer to a likely wild encounter, do the same, except tame the mantis normally, and spawn it in at level 16 - 30.

No thanks

5 hours ago, ehuhoser said:

slow health regen might be a way for WC to balance a beast of war out so that you can kill it maybe.....

Rex can be force-fed, so can Giga. Why can't Golems?

13 hours ago, Multivitamin said:

One rock seems to be 1 hp healed for me. Still slow but it something I guess

That's likely it's natural health regen.

36 minutes ago, ehuhoser said:

Again like I stated who knows if its a bug, but it "might" be a way to balance out a Golem due to their high health...

but who knows, submit a bug and see where it goes

I don't think it's a bug, but nonetheless, Gigas have absolutely ridiculous health, and can be force-fed.

At the very least, Golems can be force-fed meat, that should at least raise their HP, but alas, it does not.

2 hours ago, Sov said:

Oviraptors take Giga kibble, compys only take raw prime etc. etc.   Many hard tames aren't the best unit in the game.  Your argument fails.  To be honest I don't think the rock elemental should be tameable anyways.

Raw prime is easy to get, and you can feed Oviraptors just about any egg, and they're easy to knock out

Moreover, if a Rock Golem shouldn't be tameable, where does that put Rex/Spino/Giga/Quetz, etc, which are all more powerful than it, or even doeds, which gather stone like it, or Mantises which are better generalists than it, and don't require behemoth gates.

Also, I would argue that Quetzes are the hardest tame to get in the game, and are also the best mount in the game, due to it being a flying base. So before you jump the gun and tell me my argument fails, you should evaluate your own.

My point is, the Rock Golem is a harder tame to get than a Rex, it should at least be on the same level as it.

The only thing Golems hold over the Rex is their damage resistance, and a ranged attack, but it's horribly inaccurate unless your target doesn't know how to strafe, or is within punching distance.

I might have to test out a Rex 120 vs my golem 120 and see who wins, it makes me curious now, because as it is, I think my golem can take two of them on without any issues, and with that much power, I think that not being able to force feed it aka ,make it on par with the Rex, force feeding it would allow for a more balance sacrifice to be able to take one down, one would have to plan more.  I watched a HOD video where they raided with 10 Golems and lost all but one I think, it soaked up a lot of auto turret bullets, the ones killed just did not get out of the way from rockets fast enough. 

You cannot have an overpowered something etc without a good drawback system otherwise it will be like what we see when everyone just brings Gigas to a raid, while good, they can be killed as well, at least I don't forcefeed mine and really only used to take a gate down, maybe after the battle during a resting stage, but then again, I'm not sure how many raid one after another after another on a single day.  But that is beside the point, I do agree however forcefeeding it should merit something quicker than what it is now.

I'll have to test tomorrow if I remember.

Quetz is not the hardest to get if you have an Argy and a friend, it is to get a perfect tame out of it and to keep it alive while taming etc, but to get one I don't think its the hardest anymore.  But then again, to tame a golem is not hard as well as stated, pillar it up and use a cannon or two.  There are tips and tricks to do many difficult tasks like taming boxes, trap boxes for wyverns etc that make tasks easier.  An Alpha Worm is the hardest thing in the game I think to kill for a step to get a mantis.....as it nets the best value of loot.
It takes time to find worms and plenty of them needed to get one mantis.  Now if I did not watch these videos for tips and tricks I would say ya many are hard to get aka Quetz, Golem etc even a Giga.  

Golem is also able to harvest meat, prime, hide, chiten, keratin, thatch, wood, stone, sand, pelt, has a higher base weight I believe. Is easier to drive over rocks and can turn in place. It can also damage stone albeit slowly. It has its own nich in the game and trying to make it a Rex replacement is just silly. New dinos are not released as a direct upgrade over old dinos.  

Honestly depending how you tame it it is really easy. Get it stuck and rockets to the face dodge a rock every two rockets and repeat and its out. Same with a Rex and Tranqs. The difference is you have 3hrs to play before you have to Topor the rock again and sulfur doesn't spoil so you can fill and forget. Where as prime is a pain in the but on SE. Kibble makes it a super fast tame and you need no narcotic at all for the golem. 

Overall it has its own place in SE. It's a good all around mount and fun to use. If you want a Rex replacement get a better Rex. 

I had always assumed that the Golem would be best used as a siege engine, lobbing boulders at fortifications from a distance.

As this is something that a Rex clearly cannot do, I'm not sure why you would feel the Golem needs to be as good at close combat as a Rex.  Instead it would probably be best to simply pick the right tool for the job and use your Golem strategically.

The fact that Golems seem to be extremely good at some types of harvesting adds value to them at well.

I'm pretty happy that the Golem didn't contribute to the ongoing issue of power creep in the game.

On 11/09/2016 at 0:51 PM, Rotiart said:

So, I finally got around to taming a Rock Golem. My initial thoughts were that the Golem was a good mount, towering high above all the other animals, and able to damage stone.

And then I started testing it.

The damage it does to stone is horrible, but I suppose that's understandable-ish.

Then I went and testing if it was force-feedable. It is not. Now, why in the world would you make a mount that can be combat orientated not able to be force-fed? It'll take forever in between even the smallest raids before you can use your Elemental Again.

And then I tested it's resistance. I threw a rock at a Saber. The Saber ran up to me, and did damage. Now, why would a Saber do damage to a tamed Elemental? That makes like, no sense! Aside from it being a towering rock monster, I presume that a tamed saber wouldn't be able to damage a wild Elemental. That, paired with the lack of force-feeding puts the rock Elemental in a really bad spot, basically making it a glorified Anky, and even so, a Mantis does it's job better.

It's the second hardest tame to obtain in scorched earth, but it's hardly worth it.

Does anyone even play this game before coming to have a whine about dinos anymore?

The earth elemental is amazing.  If you spend 3 minutes thinking about it, it's really easy to tame. (Hint:  Use pillars).  It tanks bullets like a turtle, has a ranged attack that damages cables and has an AOE, it can go into a camoflaged mode and it takes massively reduced damage from all sources, even before saddle armor is applied.

Seriously, how much better does it need to be?

8 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

I had always assumed that the Golem would be best used as a siege engine, lobbing boulders at fortifications from a distance.

As this is something that a Rex clearly cannot do, I'm not sure why you would feel the Golem needs to be as good at close combat as a Rex.

Agreed, but the thing is, it's actually better regardless.

3 hours ago, Smash said:

Does anyone even play this game before coming to have a whine about dinos anymore?

The earth elemental is amazing.  If you spend 3 minutes thinking about it, it's really easy to tame. (Hint:  Use pillars).  It tanks bullets like a turtle, has a ranged attack that damages cables and has an AOE, it can go into a camoflaged mode and it takes massively reduced damage from all sources, even before saddle armor is applied.

Seriously, how much better does it need to be?

Well, if it were force-feedable, it would solve the problem of horrendous down-time between raids.

I don't think they need a buff they are incredibly strong at low levels also they are easy to tame i solo tamed 2. It may help if you think of the base stats of a golem vs a rex, a golem starts with 3000 hp, 300 stamina, 660 weight, 120/80 damage (can destroy stone) and a rex starts with 1000 hp, 450 stamina, 500 weight, 60 damage(can't destroy stone).

But in comparison to wild golems they are weak just like a tamed giga vs a wild giga. I doubt it was intended to rival a giga as that would cause further balance issues. 

Now my issues with the golem it it's expensive to render them unconscious very long tame time without kibble and can't get a mate boost. But there is a chance that a mate boosted rex may be stronger than a golem but I don't know.

Archived