scorched earth Wildcard, you have one chance to salvage the community.

MrDynamicMan

1 minute ago, Kimsie said:

Of course - people who don't like the DLC won't buy it and are thus not allowed to review it. That's a very silly statement of you ; ) But I agree it does look amazing : ) If it weren't for the mythological creatures (and it being a whole new ARK instead of a biome) I would be very tempted myself!

Oh, and of course the overall score is good. almost 90k reviews are gonna take a while to derail. That's why I'm more fascinated by the recent reviews. The last 30 days' reviews only hold 52% positive (at the time of writing), when the DLC has been out for 1 day... that's saying something! : O

What is silly about requiring someone to own something before they can review it? That seems perfectly reasonable to me. No point in people criticizing something that they haven't even played.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jrminot said:

What is silly about requiring someone to own something before they can review it? That seems perfectly reasonable to me. No point in people criticizing something that they haven't even played.

Oh, nothing at all. I must have expressed myself badly if I gave you that impression - I'm sorry. What's silly is your reply making it out like the reviews of the DLC nullified the complaints. Obviously many of the people complaining won't buy it, thus can't review it - hence, the review score is irrelevant in a discussion about the backlash.

Just now, Jrminot said:

because this is a case in wich, even with the content beeing awesome, people are really pissed because the product wich we though was beeing developed, was apparently on the backburner for some payed DLC, if that is actually the case does not matter at all at this point because the communication from WC was SO poor that people made up their own reasoning behind the DLC.

all i can think about is "if there was no  lawsuit would i have gotten a chainsaw in the maingame?" 

Just now, Kimsie said:

Oh, nothing at all. I must have expressed myself badly if I gave you that impression - I'm sorry. What's silly is your reply making it out like the reviews of the DLC nullified the complaints. Obviously many of the people complaining won't buy it, thus can't review it - hence, the review score is irrelevant in a discussion about the backlash.

Ah ok, that makes better sense then : P

Just now, rawsh said:

because this is a case in wich, even with the content beeing awesome, people are really pissed because the product wich we though was beeing developed, was apparently on the backburner for some payed DLC, if that is actually the case does not matter at all at this point because the communication from WC was SO poor that people made up their own reasoning behind the DLC.

all i can think about is "if there was no  lawsuit would i have gotten a chainsaw in the maingame?" 

If I hired someone to paint my house my house , I paid, and then came back to find out they had instead painted the Mona Lisa on a canvas, I could hardly say that the Mona Lisa was of bad quality and give it a bad review. I could complain or give the painter himself a bad review since he didn't do what I wanted, but not the Mona Lisa he did paint.

15 minutes ago, Rickyh24 said:

Im doing the same once I get confirmation my dedicated is being wiped yet again. 

Im hoping they arent, i have one also. Either way this way of acting by the devs is unacceptable and we need to start making them know that. I would have bought SE if not just to try it out in sp, im not poor and enjoy the game. But with everything pilling up that the devs just cant do competently i feel i have to as a consumer show them with my wallet and reviews that i dont support these actions. I expect minor bug and such. But save breaking patches 3 times in a row. Only reason i started my server after the patch downloaded was because the devs told us it would never happen again and yet here we are.

2 minutes ago, Jrminot said:

If I hired someone to paint my house my house , I paid, and then came back to find out they had instead painted the Mona Lisa on a canvas, I could hardly say that the Mona Lisa was of bad quality and give it a bad review. I could complain or give the painter himself a bad review since he didn't do what I wanted, but not the Mona Lisa he did paint.

Not sure if you mean the base game or the expansion as the Mona Lisa? : )

I actually think that the quality of the expansion makes the base game look bleek, unpolished and even more unfinished. So for me, the base game could never be the Mona Lisa. They added a whole lot more dinos than they initially thought, but the really haven't added much in the way of gameplay. New dino mechanics promised a long time ago have yet to arrive, but the expansion has a lot of it, it would seem (haven't played it myself so I can only judge by the stream and trailer - which, of course, could be just be marketingly misleading). Now more than ever, I'm aware of how unfinished and unpolished the base game is.

Just now, Kimsie said:

Not sure if you mean the base game or the expansion as the Mona Lisa? : )

I actually think that the quality of the expansion makes the base game look bleek, unpolished and even more unfinished. So for me, the base game could never be the Mona Lisa. They added a whole lot more dinos than they initially thought, but the really haven't added much in the way of gameplay. New dino mechanics promised a long time ago have yet to arrive, but the expansion has a lot of it, it would seem (haven't played it myself so I can only judge by the stream and trailer - which, of course, could be just be marketingly misleading). Now more than ever, I'm aware of how unfinished and unpolished the base game is.

Right, SE would be the Mona Lisa, something that may not be bad, but not what they were supposed to be working on. The bottom line was in response to the rawsh and stating that you cannot objectively judge the quality of something based on either who made it, or what you were expecting. SE may be good or bad, but non of that should take into account anything besides SE itself. If you review SE, you are reviewing SE and not wildcard or the core game.

5 minutes ago, Jrminot said:

well if we wanna use the House analogy, I i already Payed someone to have my house Painted, i didnt specify the colors or design, then i come back the house is halfway painted but then the guy started building a Doghouse in the garden and wants the same price he wanted to finish the house he didnt  finish,  but its ok i dont have to buy it but i have to look at it and my house is still unpainted

8 minutes ago, rawsh said:

wow you made an account to write this very constructive post good on you !

I could elaborate or i could try start a moral crusade because a game put out some DLC. I thought it would be a good way to endear myself to the community too.

My 2 cents then since ive played since day one. Game has had plenty of support since release and will continue to get support and features added to the base game. There's still plenty of bugs and improvements required though. The part of the team that makes the dinos and maps doesnt code bug fixes and to me it makes sense that they would spend their time productively creating us more content for the game...paid or not. 

As for the DLC if we have this content ready to go now would you prefer the devs to hold onto it for 3 months or give us access now?

Right, SE would be the Mona Lisa, something that may not be bad, but not what they were supposed to be working on. The bottom line was in response to the rawsh and stating that you cannot objectively judge the quality of something based on either who made it, or what you were expecting. SE may be good or bad, but non of that should take into account anything besides SE itself. If you review SE, you are reviewing SE and not wildcard or the core game.

Agreed, yet that's not how many people do it. My point, though, was also the reviews, for the stated reasons, are no indication of the severity of the backlash : ) That the backlash can't be disregarded just because the reviews for the DLC were good.

2 minutes ago, rawsh said:

well if we wanna use the House analogy, I i already Payed someone to have my house Painted, i didnt specify the colors or design, then i come back the house is halfway painted but then the guy started building a Doghouse in the garden and wants the same price he wanted to finish the house he didnt  finish,  but its ok i dont have to buy it but i have to look at it and my house is still unpainted

I actually find this analogy more to the point : )

5 minutes ago, rawsh said:

Right, so you give the painter a bad review, if you want to review the doghouse itself though, it should be based solely on it's quality.

Again, the reviews on scorched earth are not review of wildcard.

The only way to really review a game is by playing it. Same with all consumables like food, you cannot judge it's taste until you consume it.

7 minutes ago, SumNubX said:

Im hoping they arent, i have one also. Either way this way of acting by the devs is unacceptable and we need to start making them know that. I would have bought SE if not just to try it out in sp, im not poor and enjoy the game. But with everything pilling up that the devs just cant do competently i feel i have to as a consumer show them with my wallet and reviews that i dont support these actions. I expect minor bug and such. But save breaking patches 3 times in a row. Only reason i started my server after the patch downloaded was because the devs told us it would never happen again and yet here we are.

Yup. That's the worse part. Dedicated owners can't even trust them at this point. If I start mine back up I wont even be updating this game anymore and launching my server until I'm assured it's safe. 

1 minute ago, ZomB3000 said:

As for the DLC if we have this content ready to go now would you prefer the devs to hold onto it for 3 months or give us access now?

That's really not anybody's point! I do hope you're not willfully misunderstanding everybody. The main complaint is that they even started with the content before they finished the base game. That's really not that hard to understand, is it?

2 minutes ago, Kimsie said:

That's really not anybody's point! I do hope you're not willfully misunderstanding everybody. The main complaint is that they even started with the content before they finished the base game. That's really not that hard to understand, is it?

I concur, the timing is bad no matter how you look at it.

Love the DLC, but it should have been released after the core game was finished.

Like many people have talked about, I suspect they were losing money and/or momentum. A long drawn out process and scopecreep can kill momentum, plus they settled quite a bit of money in that lawsuit they had.

2 minutes ago, ZomB3000 said:

I could elaborate or i could try start a moral crusade because a game put out some DLC. I thought it would be a good way to endear myself to the community too.

My 2 cents then since ive played since day one. Game has had plenty of support since release and will continue to get support and features added to the base game. There's still plenty of bugs and improvements required though. The part of the team that makes the dinos and maps doesnt code bug fixes and to me it makes sense that they would spend their time productively creating us more content for the game...paid or not. 

Oh I see, the team making dinos would otherwise sit around uselessly, because they already made and finished the Tapejara, the Archaeopteryx, the Megatherium, the Prostosuchus and all the other dinos, right?

I see, that's how little the development on the paid DLC affects people who are supposedly "free to not buy it", because they got a huge update containing ceiling doors. Wow.

I see the CM here making outrageous statements and trying to blame the community of being cheapskates. Yes, of course people would not complain if the desert thing and everything was free, as it would be part of the game they have paid for. But if you pay for a game in advance, and instead of finishing it something different, separate is made in order to charge you again (they basically took money to develop something in order to sell it to you...).

If people pay you to do something in advance you are expected to finish it ASAP. Maybe I would complain less if it wasn't for the Archaeopteryx, the Tapejara, the dynamic bridges, breeding phase 3 and all the other things which have clearly been cut in favor of the DLC. How can someone who doesn't plan on buying the DLC claim that this doesn't effect his investment negatively?

Right, so you give the painter a bad review, if you want to review the doghouse itself though, it should be based solely on it's quality.

Again, the review's on scorched earth are not review of wildcard

The only way to really review a game is by playing it. Same with all consumables like food, you cannot judge it's taste until you consume it.

if there is no way to rate the painter, im gonna give the stupid doghouse a review reading : nice dog house but i payed you to get the house done if you need more money for paint TELL ME. wich is what many people have done, many of the highest rated negative reviews actually state that the content looks great... and its a shame we wont see it implemented into the core Game, and that those workhours were expected to go into the main game.

1 minute ago, rawsh said:

if there is no way to rate the painter, im gonna give the stupid doghouse a review reading : nice dog house but i payed you to get the house done if you need more money for paint TELL ME. wich is what many people have done, many of the highest rated negative reviews actually state that the content looks great... and its a shame we wont see it implemented into the core Game, and that those workhours were expected to go into the main game.

While I agree with that type of review on an emotional level, bringing in outside criteria into the review like that just muddies the review pool. If I was a new player, I typicially ignore posts like that where people try to tell me how bad the developers are. I could care less, if the game is fun, I buy and play it.

Steam needs to offer a way for people to review the develops as well as the game and attach the developer/studio review to the game so you can do both. That would be a more logical review system.

12 minutes ago, Kimsie said:

Yeah and what part of me saying the devs who create the environments dont fix bugs and add features? Is that difficult to understand?

• Volunteer Moderator
5 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Except two of the three DLC are just mods that were community made and already available, and the last is far from a massive effort. Congratulations, you gave us something someone else made and we could already get!  Whoop-di-bloody-doo. 

Well, for the Center, WC is now paying that mod author and providing some direction on what they would like done to the map.  By doing so, they help to ensure the map stays up to date and is not abandoned like some mods.   And the mod is using what is already available in the game as far as items and animals are concerned; though I am guessing Ben may have adapted and created other stuff as he seems very talented.

Scorched Earth is an Expansion that includes not only a new map but new items and creatures, which can can also be brought into other maps either by an Admin, Mod, and/or the new Cross Ark Travel feature.

I already have one copy of the new Expansion and will be purchasing a second one for my persoanl Admin account I use for some servers.  As a server admin, I am excited to have access to these new options; even if we were not setting up an SE server as I write this. 

But, the nice thing about this, no one is being forced to purchase the Expansion, at least that I am aware.

I am sure there would be a lot less uproar if it was free; though, even then, I can say with some confidence, that someone would find some issue with it.

• Volunteer Moderator
31 minutes ago, rawsh said:

No, you paid them to paint your house and for them to finish it on their own schedule, if they even decided to finish it, ever.  And, there is no doghouse, as that jump in the analogy breaks the abstraction.  It is more like that have offered to paint your barn in the back for 2/3rd of the full cost of painting your house(unless you got the house painting at a discount like others did).  However, you are not obligated to have the barn painted and can instead just wait for your house to finish being painted.  But the anaolgy breaks here, though I will try to extend it anyway, by saying it is possible that work that is being done on other barns could find its way into your house painting project.

However, to play around with your analogy, even if it is faulty, they still have people painting the house, but just not as many as you would like and not as fast as you would like.  Using your analogy to say that they have stopped work on your house based on what is currently occuring with the game would be false, in my opinion.

Archived