Whats Prim+ like??

Narcoberries for the win

So i know most xbox players are salty and mad because primitive + hasnt come out on xbox yet. Im a xbox player but im being patient.

But for those pc players playing it right now how is it? like whats fishing like? hows the new dinos? give me updates to keep me going would love the feedback on the new content !!!

I love primitive+.  Been playing it for a few months now as a mod, and even though it has some pretty big bugs, the overall experience is good.  Now with official support I'm hoping those all get squashed.

It definitely lends itself to a different playstyle.  There is a lot more thought put into the various items you build and why, the crafting system in general is much deeper and more complex.  It lends itself very very well to a PvE environment, but doesn't take away in PVP either.  IMO it does a really good job of depicting what a group of humans with current day knowledge might do and what they can create with no resources except their own 2 hands if stranded.  

when it makes it to XBOX, give it a shot for sure.  Especially if you are the RP or PvE type of person, or even just someone who really digs the building and crafting part of the game.  

It also forces you to play different, as things get a lot harder in the late game without big guns, explosives and tranq darts.

Glad to help.  Thats the one thing I felt the normal default ark lacked in, variety.  It definitely feels like everyone is the same build with the same weapons and armor, packing the same heat, attacking bases the same way.  Primitive definitely gives a change up to that. Even more so if you are on PvE or a controlled pvp server where people can build more freely without having to always build the 'optimal raid proof base'

Yeah, this is one of my big hopes now that its becoming 'official' and all that.  I'm not sure if that means more of the team and resources are going to be working on it, or if its just a way for Ced to get a paycheck with them.  Hopefully its the former and we will see some big changes starting to come with it.  Along with it getting built into the system in a way that outside mods can be mixed in with it, I'd like to see the crazy loading screen time brought down, and some better integration with the core games updates like how we currently have no fishing pole in primitive+, even though it just released at the same time.  Of course the initial release is the hectic one, I just hope for future patches primitive+ is not always late to the party with new features.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:25 AM, GamerPerfection said:

You do know that the fishing and new dinos is not related to Primitive Plus?

Why so Salty? the guys just trying to get insight into what Prim plus is like. Also in his defense the Fishing and new Dinos will most likely be released at the same time as prim plus!

I have found a bunch of good videos on youtube that have filled me in a bunch on primitive plus. Sl1pg8r has some good videos on the new dinos and fishing.

Primitive+ is exactly the reason why I bought ark in the first place. I always thought that automatic rifles and rocket launchers went against the point of a jungle survival game. I've owned rifles, but never shot one in anger and never needed to due to being on servers which allowed PVP, but you only used it in defence. I find so many servers now which has stupidly high gather rates, which meant rifles, ammo and raiding were achieveable in a matter of hours. On my favourite server, i'm still rocking a crossbow after over a month of gameplay.

Sorry, went off on a tangent then. I'm really looking forward to Prim+, and would happily chill out on a PVE server for the rest of my time playing ARK. Build a house, have a building for agriculture, a platform in the river for fishing, and a crossbow stashed away just incase a Level 2 Bob gets rather fresh on my doorstep.

11 hours ago, aIankirk said:

Primitive+ is exactly the reason why I bought ark in the first place. I always thought that automatic rifles and rocket launchers went against the point of a jungle survival game. I've owned rifles, but never shot one in anger and never needed to due to being on servers which allowed PVP, but you only used it in defence. I find so many servers now which has stupidly high gather rates, which meant rifles, ammo and raiding were achieveable in a matter of hours. On my favourite server, i'm still rocking a crossbow after over a month of gameplay.

I feel pretty much the same way.  My friend talked me into playing with him after he had only been playing on officials for a few weeks.  We played on official PVP servers for about a month before we got fed up with the noobie griefing and general harrassment while we were struggling to learn the game, its mechanics and how things generally worked out.  Ended up renting a server with the intent for just myself, him and another few friends to play on.  Clan got bigger then expected and we played around with increased rates and what not, and all it really did for me was speed up how quickly I got to the point where I was bored.  We switched over to primitive+ and PvE after our griefing experiences on officials and we pretty much decided to keep our rates only slightly altered from official because rushing to the end, especially on PvE and primitive+, is just hurrying to boredom.  

The end game ark stuff always felt sort of bland to me as well, and the base game being so focus'd on pvp seems to keep that sort of bland generic feeling of the building choices and items because there needs to be balance.  Primitive+ is a lot more survival/MMO/RPG style then the PVP style of the base game and I love that.  I hope in the future we get even more complex deep roles with our engrams and more specialization so there are less 'jack of all trades' sort of people and more 'class-like' templates so there will be a real point to being a master chef, or an expert blacksmith, or perhaps the local master architect / construction builder.  The general idea Complexminded stated was behind ark as well is very appealing.  What would lift be like if 70 random people from say, your town or state suddenly ended up naked on The Center map with dino's etc etc, People wouldn't exactly be manufacturing computer processors and giant machinery that fabricates stuff from nothing, but someone probably would know how to make a basic set of weapons and protection, perhaps some armor or even simple firearms.  

I'm hoping in the future we have even more building options and specialties to choose from.  I'd love to see a lot more building shapes/pieces to choose from for the current building types, like pieces specifically for corners both outside and inverse, some reverse versions of the sloped walls, I'd also like to see more choices in the basic styles as well.  Like the primitive+ houses look so good when you build out of mixed materials.  Thatch on roofs usually looks pretty spot on great, but thatch sucks so bad for both pvp AND pve with its short demo timers that you can't really use it except for unimportant buildings.    I hope we get some more material types as well that have the same level of detail to them that the lumber stuff does.  On our public PvE server my tribe just picked a location in the redwoods at the shoreline with a cool rock overhang.  We have out main clan base built in stone with concrete ceilings (originally had concrete foundations but they are a tiny hair to tall so you cant walk under catwalks right above you until the patch hits and Ced fixes).  We built a greenhouse at the shoreline and a cook house and smokehouse near it, and people are going to start building themselves little houses and making a sort of village area.  I'd love to see some of those additional building material types to help really make it unique.

Also loving how much harder it makes things without having uber weapons and armor.  Some things still need some tweaking, as we need some sort of way to deal with creatures thgat normally can only be tamed with tranq darts, but for the most part you can do stuff as long as you think outside the box and come up with more creative ways to deal with problems.

Started a single player of it last night.

First thing to do is delete your saved game for whatever map you want to play as your existing Ark world will be all screwed up. That way, you will start a new game which is recommended.

I went to The Center map on North Tropical Island. Things went badly as I spawned at the North arch, which is crawling with dilos and raptors. It was very difficult to get weapons as I ended up being killed as I attempted to craft spears while hiding behind a boulder.

Reborn, I couldn't find my stuff to get what I had. I managed to get spears and successfully made it to the safe area of the L shaped cliff after being jumped by dilos. Got a base started as I saw a Parasaur followed by a Raptor fall down from above. As I was crafting at the base, the raptor killed me.

Respawned as a new character near my campsite. Saw the campfire. The raptor was nowhere to be seen so grabbed my stuff. I am now well established there having cleared the area of compys and dilos. I never did find the Raptor that killed me.

Strange new things so far;

1. Dodos give chicken and feathers. There appears to be no way to cook the chicken. Chicken spoils quickly even when stored.

2. The standing torch requires oil.

3. Lots of new items such as iron, clay, new seeds, other items, from gathering.

4. Not enough engram points for getting the new abilities and construction materials.

5. Cooked meat ages to old cooked meat before spoiling.

6. Spears rarely give hide. Switch to the hatchet especially after killing those pesky Compys.

Primitive Plus is better played with a tribe so the individuals can specialize in skills. It is going to be difficult for the single player due to the extra amount of engram points early on that is needed.

You will want to mostly learn the normal ark engrams for early game stuff, with a few exceptions.  Learn the Big campfire as you can cook all the primitive+ special stuff in it, as well as use firewood with it and it has a much bigger light and heat radius.  Also for super early game learn the pitchfork instead of the normal spear.  It does more damage then the spear and can still be thrown, and IMO is actually a little easier to craft since it uses ONLY wood to make.  No need to harvest little bits of everything for it like with the normal spear.

But for the really really early game like you are in, I find it a lot better to stick with mostly the main game ark engrams as a lot of the primitive+ stuff doesn't really have a use until a little later on when you are picking up specific lines of crafting.  Like the work that goes into making lumber is pretty hefty overall.  When you are still running around with stone tools its a lot easier to just get a basic normal wood base up then trying to go straight into any of the special building materials.

One thing that IS handy to have right away is some of the primitive+ new veggies/plants.  If you manage to get a medium crop plot blueprint or you learn the engram and can come up with fertilizer (just using poop wont work very well for the speed the prim+ plants eat it up) then you can grow some tea or other veggies, then use them for speed taming early need herbivores,.  In another thread on here, Jimmy no Shoes did some testing and has a list of which veggies give 0 food to animals, but still work for taming.  So using then to tame your first beaver, doed and anky for example, is a godsend.  They tame roughly about the same effectveness as mejoberries, but the dino will eat them super fast since they give no food.

We use this trick to help get off to the ground for building those early on bases.  Especially because super early life generally sucks until you get to metal tools, then the next step is usually a pteranadon.

On 13/08/2016 at 7:09 PM, aIankirk said:

Primitive+ is exactly the reason why I bought ark in the first place.

This 1,000 times!

When I first got ARK and discovered the metal tier and tech that could be achieved I was kind of disappointed. I always said to my tribe mates "I wish there was a way tech woud stop at stone and we could have some better building options!" And lo and behond 1 year on... I got my wish. And then some.

P+ is definately harder, taking down a quetzel with a ground mounted chain bola is not easy, nor is knocking out a Titanosaur with a Ballista catapult. You certainly rely on your dinosaurs more, more so at lower levels.

The musket feels good but not OP, the flintlock is a nice sidearm and their damage is balanced. Without the use of a scope it makes long shots both challenging and rewarding. (Myself and a fellow tribe mate often hunt Diolmorphs in the Redwoof forest for sport.)

As for the farming.... My... God! Have you ever seen so many seeds!?!?! If farming and crop cultivation is your thing, you will LOVE P+

Didn't see the pitchfork. Will have to look for it.

Second night, made it to Level 22 with some saddles ready, bow, arrow, and raft. Getting good at killing off compys and dilos with the spear. Took out 5 compys with almost no damage taken. The spear is a poor harvester. The hatchet far better. Tried to tame the raptor that killed me the other day but it ran off into the sea after being pelted with stones where the sharks got it. Food usage is much higher then I am accustomed to but I cook up the raw meat and have a good stock of it available.

Note, I have XP, gather, and taming set to 4X.

2 minutes ago, rpicardi1 said:

Food usage is much higher then I am accustomed to but I cook up the raw meat and have a good stock of it available.

Note, I have XP, gather, and taming set to 4X.

I maintain a strict diet of berries only, meat does help your hunger but will always drop your hydration. If like me you maintain a herbalistic diet your food and water will replenish everytime. They also keep for longer inside storage, inventorys and dinosaurs but the biggest draw is you don't attract unwanted attention at night with a fire.

1 minute ago, Duffried said:

I maintain a strict diet of berries only, meat does help your hunger but will always drop your hydration. If like me you maintain a herbalistic diet your food and water will replenish everytime. They also keep for longer inside storage, inventorys and dinosaurs but the biggest draw is you don't attract unwanted attention at night with a fire.

Have not noticed cooked meat causing dehydration. You just don't get hydration from it like you do the berries. Anyhow, with a waterskin, you don't have to submerge yourself to get hydrated from the sea.

I store what is not on me for the 4X lasting longer. Currently, in this new game, I haven't tamed any pets although I do have saddles for a Trike and Parasaur. The raft has allowed for early resource gathering where the firepit and mortar and pestle are on board. Wish that had been available at Level 15 last July when I first started playing at default settings.

The different items and changed ones, such as the Standing Torch only taking oil or spark powder, sure changes how the game now plays. I do eat lots of berries storing the Mejos for future taming along with the narco berries for making trancs.

1 minute ago, Duffried said:

But... fish wee and poop in the sea!?!?! And you drink it?

They do the same in your drinking water, unless it comes from a well, before it is treated.

I refill the waterskin when it rains.

I am thinking of relocating to the high shelf in the Western part of the Redwood Bimoe. Lots of resources there, no carnovores, a safe path up from the sea, and easy to wall off from what roams below in the forest. This is the ramp found in the bay of the twin waterfalls. I may go there to see if it is still safe above as it was in the regular game. Behind my player in the forest, there are numerous Terror Birds and other nasties.

lT02edx.jpg

3 minutes ago, Duffried said:

I'm British so the only water I drink is boiled first and made into tea.

At least, the seawater in Ark is fresh, like Great Lakes water.

Iced tea for the hit muggy summer hits the spot. I don't even bother using sugar

Forgot to mention that I am playing Single Player. The fire at camp does seem to attract the dilos.

1 minute ago, rpicardi1 said:

At least, the seawater in Ark is fresh, like Great Lakes water.

Iced tea for the hit muggy summer hits the spot. I don't even bother using sugar

Forgot to mention that I am playing Single Player. The fire at camp does seem to attract the dilos.

When you see the size of the fish poo though.... Megalodon poops raise the sea level.

The saber kittens like campfires also, trust me on this. I found that out the hard way when I very first started playing.

1 minute ago, rpicardi1 said:

You only find them and wolves in the North on The Island or in the Western Tundra of The Center.

The Kittens are neat and very efficient at gathering hide. This one was kidnapped with a Quetz and dropped into a taming pen.

eLGXYNZ.jpg

That may be true now but back in the early days the beaches were swarming with Sabers and Scorps. it was quite, quite terrifying.

Archived