Is there info somewhere on how often babies eat a single piece of food?

Peteed1

Surely they eat at a set rate and not randomly? The wiki pages for the dinos don't seem to have that info and I need that info to be able to work out how long the [X number] berries in the Theri will last when it can only hold [X number] or the like. I need the info to be able to set a timer to remind me to feed it. With my disability I can't remember to feed it without prompting so I need at least semi accurate times but idk if a baby Theri eats one berry a minute so 60 berries would last an hour or if they eat them 1 per 10 seconds so it'd last only 10 minutes. All I know is I get distracted and come back an hour later and 60 berries are gone and the Theri is dead. If for example I knew it ate 60 berries in 10 mins then I could set a 9 minute alarm.

Maybe it's not on the Theri page because the rate is not dino specific? Maybe all babies food bar decreases at a set rate and that's on a different non dino specific page?

44 minutes ago, Peteed1 said:

Surely they eat at a set rate and not randomly? The wiki pages for the dinos don't seem to have that info and I need that info to be able to work out how long the [X number] berries in the Theri will last when it can only hold [X number] or the like. I need the info to be able to set a timer to remind me to feed it. With my disability I can't remember to feed it without prompting so I need at least semi accurate times but idk if a baby Theri eats one berry a minute so 60 berries would last an hour or if they eat them 1 per 10 seconds so it'd last only 10 minutes. All I know is I get distracted and come back an hour later and 60 berries are gone and the Theri is dead. If for example I knew it ate 60 berries in 10 mins then I could set a 9 minute alarm.

Maybe it's not on the Theri page because the rate is not dino specific? Maybe all babies food bar decreases at a set rate and that's on a different non dino specific page?

If you want to do math. Just start doing it...

Look at the rate at which the food drops for that dino. Example. Let it lose 500 food. See how long that takes. Its different for each dino/animal.
Then look up, or check yourself how much food is restored when you give it a piece of that what you are planning on giving them.
Then do math.

Then, take in consideration that animals is stasis lose food at a somewhat slower rate. But other players could also get the babies of of stasis.
Best to not keep in mind stasis. But it could give you some space...

(I used to overdo it for myself. For most dinos I had the rule 1 row of food = 1 hour)
(But thats way overdoing it. Its more like 1 stack of meat/berries = 30 minutes)

Besides all. Its best to plan Ark breeding, and not let it have to disrupt your daily life.
Say to yourself. I will only pop Babies saturday morning. so I can have 4-5 hours of dedication to the babies without creating too much stress on timers and other factors.

Edited by SunsetErosion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SunsetErosion said:

If you want to do math. Just start doing it...

Look at the rate at which the food drops for that dino. Example. Let it lose 500 food. See how long that takes. Its different for each dino/animal.
Then look up, or check yourself how much food is restored when you give it a piece of that what you are planning on giving them.
Then do math.

Then, take in consideration that animals is stasis lose food at a somewhat slower rate. But other players could also get the babies of of stasis.
Best to not keep in mind stasis. But it could give you some space...

So there's no place with data saying that a Theri baby food decreases at like 5.6 per second vs a rex decreasing at 3.3 per second? Made up numbers obviously since idk actual numbers. 

I really wouldn't be able to work out the rate, the food bar moves so fast and a baby has such a low amount of it's food bar that can actually fill. I can't work out how long a second is when looking at a bar that ticks down at an unknown interval. I mean the food stat ticked down once, was that a tick that it goes down by every second? Every 1.1 second? Every 1.2 seconds? Every 1.5 seconds? Every 2 seconds? I figured that with dataminers and modders able to make and modify dinos that the actual figures would be out somewhere...

Ok yesterdays Theri I bred must of only had the 3900 food stat of the low level theri parent and todays has 12900 from the high level one. By the looks it loses 0.9 food a tick (which idk if a food ticking down is a second or not. So yesterday assuming food ticks down once a second at birth they would of run out of food without feeding them in 6 minutes from a 400 food max bar (assuming that both used the same % of the adults bar so 1/3 of todays 1300 food for a adults bar being 1/3 of the other adults bar) but todays at birth has like 1300 food so won't run out of food bar until about 20 mins...

Then again they can't hold enough food to regen 1300 when they can only hold 10 berries max so when they get low I need to refill thier inventory like 15 times lol

10 hours ago, Peteed1 said:

Ok yesterdays Theri I bred must of only had the 3900 food stat of the low level theri parent and todays has 12900 from the high level one. By the looks it loses 0.9 food a tick (which idk if a food ticking down is a second or not. So yesterday assuming food ticks down once a second at birth they would of run out of food without feeding them in 6 minutes from a 400 food max bar (assuming that both used the same % of the adults bar so 1/3 of todays 1300 food for a adults bar being 1/3 of the other adults bar) but todays at birth has like 1300 food so won't run out of food bar until about 20 mins...

Then again they can't hold enough food to regen 1300 when they can only hold 10 berries max so when they get low I need to refill thier inventory like 15 times lol

I havent bred on ASA yet. But in OldArk, it was just a pain. The first 30 minutes or so all babies can only hold a stack of 5 food, after that it will go up pretty fast and steady, dependant on the weight stat, how many food it can carry...

Having multi babies, lets say a full rex army. It will mean you got to walk from rex to rex, refilling food for a hour or so, before you can actually do something else...
Its really going to take your time...
Thats why I say, plan breeding carefully to make it fit in your real life days... So you dont have to worry too much about wether 1 stack more or less would be enough...

There is a very simple way to track this information, bring up dino tracking in-game and search for the baby dino in question there. There is a small timer that says when your baby ate last. Just watch that timer go up and whenever it resets, that's the number in seconds that you are looking for. If it goes up to 50 seconds, then it means your dino eats every 50 seconds for example.

Edit: This only works if you play ASA however.

Edited by nipe

• 2 weeks later...

You can also do some light math to aid in figuring it out.  Count how many seconds it takes the baby to eat from one meal to the next and then take the seconds you counted and multiply it by the amount of food per piece you have.  Then divide by 60 and that will break it down to how many minutes of food you have