ASA Gameplay Trailer

vtallbloke

On 10/27/2023 at 9:00 AM, Corn1189 said:

UE5 was released April 2022, so I have absolutely idea where you're getting the word "years" from.

Now that we've established you're (probably) not a sock puppet...

[Edit: I'm leaving this post here for continuity, but in the post below Invincibleqc proves that I was mistaken.]

You're making my point for me. Some of the moments included in the trailer (which, you apparently need to be reminded) was touted by WildCard as a gameplay trailer) have been floating around for years which means, by definition, they are not from ASA, and on top of that not from gameplay. There may have been scenes in that trailer which were truly new, but not all of them, and based on those facts it's highly unlikely that even the new scenes were from ASA gameplay.

And what game journalists can you link me that have had these clips for years?

I've been told by moderators we're not supposed to link youtube content providers, so you'll have to go to youtube and search for the name. Start with "LtBuzzLiteBeer". If you watch his ARK videos published during the last 6 months or so, you will see the scene of the Rex bursting through the wooden gate over and over. It is a very old video clip, and it's not even from ASE gameplay, it's a rendered cinematic. So again, neither gameplay nor ASA.

There are other scenes that I don't remember specifically where I've seen them before, but they're not new.

* Scene - Character riding a trike accompanied by two characters on equus and another riding a megatherium and one on a rex.

* Scene - multiple characters riding gallimimus, running past a bronto and a stego.

* Scene - bosses being shown quickly in order - megapithecus, dragon, broodmother, cinematics that have been around for a long time.

There are others that are familiar, but in the interest of fairness they might just be similar to older clips. For example, the first scene of the survivor waking up on the beach is very similar to the original ARK trailer, but it's not identical, it looks like that's probably created recently and it just intended as an homage to their original. But what it does not look like is ASA gameplay, it looks like a rendered video.

HOLY CRAP!!! Pipinghot just discovered what "trailer" means!! (trailer; verb; advertise (a movie or program) in advance by broadcasting excerpts or details.)

Congrats on your ability to look up words on the internet, you're obviously proud of your search skills.

Of course we all know what a trailer is, but this was touted as a "Gameplay trailer", which is not the same thing as a cinematic trailer made up of rendered video scenes. Furthermore, portions of it are not even from ASA, they've been around since ASA. So again this supposed "ASA gameplay" trailer is neither ASA nor gameplay.

Trailers are supposed to want people to buy your product, that's what advertisements do. This isn't a new thing buddy.

Neither is lying about it being a "gameplay trailer".

Edited by Pipinghot

• Volunteer Moderator
38 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

I've been told by moderators we're not supposed to link youtube content providers, so you'll have to go to youtube and search for the name. Start with "LtBuzzLiteBeer". If you watch his ARK videos published during the last 6 months or so, you will see the scene of the Rex bursting through the wooden gate over and over. It is a very old video clip, and it's not even from ASE gameplay, it's a rendered cinematic. So again, neither gameplay nor ASA.

There is no problem linking external contents as long as it is in context and is not solely referenced to self-promote, etc. In any case the scene you are referencing:

May look familiar because it is actually a reenactment of an iconic scene from the very first announcement trailer:

As well as many others you can find in old trailers.

Edited by invincibleqc

Well there I am, hoist by my own petard, not examining the evidence carefully enough before posting. I should have made a side-by-side comparison of the scenes the way that invincibleqc did, it's even more obvious with both of them contained in the same screenshot.

So... I'll take the hit, gotta admit I was wrong about it being re-used video.

Gate Crasher.JPG

Edited by Pipinghot

13 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Of course we all know what a trailer is, but this was touted as a "Gameplay trailer", which is not the same thing as a cinematic trailer made up of rendered video scenes. Furthermore, portions of it are not even from ASA, they've been around since ASA. So again this supposed "ASA gameplay" trailer is neither ASA nor gameplay.

Neither is lying about it being a "gameplay trailer".

I'll focus on the most recent teaser and launch trailers we've gotten, and are able to compare to the game: Genesis 2.

Teaser trailers, like the cinematic and narrated one we got for Gen 2 feature rendered scenes meant to give just enough for people to become interested in the content of the DLC. This means sweeping shots of the map, and short clips of the new creatures. 

The Launch* Trailer had a clip of the intro cutscene, with the narration. That then transitioned into cinematic shots of the map, with both creatures and players. There was a scene with a player using the Tek Hoversail. Multiple shots of players riding and interacting with creatures. The presence of a player characters making, albeit scripted rather than rendered, makes the Launch Trailer wildly different that the Teaser. 

*There was never going to be an ASA Gameplay trailer, just a Launch trailer. (I could be mistaken, but I am fairly certain they said we'd see gameplay soon, just not a gameplay trailer.)

1 hour ago, Corn1189 said:

I'll focus on the most recent teaser and launch trailers we've gotten, and are able to compare to the game: Genesis 2.

Teaser trailers, like the cinematic and narrated one we got for Gen 2 feature rendered scenes meant to give just enough for people to become interested in the content of the DLC. This means sweeping shots of the map, and short clips of the new creatures. 

The Launch* Trailer had a clip of the intro cutscene, with the narration. That then transitioned into cinematic shots of the map, with both creatures and players. There was a scene with a player using the Tek Hoversail. Multiple shots of players riding and interacting with creatures. The presence of a player characters making, albeit scripted rather than rendered, makes the Launch Trailer wildly different that the Teaser. 

*There was never going to be an ASA Gameplay trailer, just a Launch trailer. (I could be mistaken, but I am fairly certain they said we'd see gameplay soon, just not a gameplay trailer.)

There has only been one teaser/trailer that I'm aware of, the piece that was released at the XBox Partner Preview, if there are others let me know where to find them.

The trailer that was released at the XBox Partner Preview, just 4 days ago (Wednesday, Oct 25) was touted by WC, and subsequently by the gaming press, as a "gameplay trailer", "game play reveal trailer", and other similar descriptions. It wasn't pushed as merely a trailer, but specifically a gameplay trailer. Tons of people have been asking WC for gameplay footage for months, and this is what WC said they were going to give people.

For example: "Studio Wildcard has finally released a gameplay trailer for Ark: Survival Ascended during the Xbox Partner Preview showcase."

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/xbox/ark-survival-ascended-gameplay-finally-hatches-in-a-new-trailer-during-xbox-partner-preview-showcase

Considering how many of those scenes looked very much like scenes from previous trailers released by WC, it seems highly unlikely that they were true gameplay footage, which is what people were told was coming. Whether you wish to call it a launch trailer, or a teaser, or any other description, it was touted as a gameplay trailer, but whether there was any true gameplay footage in that trailer is highly debatable, much less enough to legitimately call it a "gameplay trailer".

In no way am I suggesting that it's wrong, in general, to include rendered video in a trailer. Movies, books, games, , etc., pretty much every entertainment media creates trailers, advertisements or blurbs that are designed to get attention and are quite often not representative of the content of the movie/book/game, that's nothing new. But when you tout a "gameplay trailer" then the clear majority of it should be obviously identifiable as video capture while playing the game, not rendered video. When we consider just how terrible the performance of the game was at release, even on high end of many, many people, it's pretty obvious that the trailer wasn't really gameplay, but that's what people were told they were getting. Even if some of those scenes started as gameplay captures they were thoroughly massaged after the fact.