Use of AI Art In Creature Submissions

ChrisiALP

1 hour ago, ChrisiALP said:

it is not but if you think so have fun doing so 

The dossier very obviously has AI images put on a dossier template. The inconsistencies are very noticeable and I don't see why you would make a drawing for your submission dossier then use AI afterwards. You also have not stated anywhere throughout the main post that the images in fact aren't drawn by you and are generated, which comes off as you drawing it.

Edited by VaporVenator

12 minutes ago, VaporVenator said:

The dossier very obviously has AI images put on a dossier template. The inconsistencies are very noticeable and I don't see why you would make a drawing for your submission dossier then use AI afterwards. You also have not stated anywhere throughout the main post that the images in fact aren't drawn by you and are generated, which comes off as you drawing it.

I just thought like every normal Person would when they Design a crature 1 day bevore the voting start cause the dumped the first idea and created a new one. There simply wasnt any time left to draw everything myself and yes the images are AI generated. Otherways there would not be any images at all. Cause as said previosly we just had 1 hour to finish this concept wich is to short for me drawing something myself. It was already a race to finish the Text on the dosier and in the Post. So we just used Our AI Images wich were originally planned as an Inspiration for Our final artwork... but as i See all of you complaining about AI Art i will replace the pictures on the dossier with self drawn images tomorrow. 

Edited by ChrisiALP

3 minutes ago, ChrisiALP said:

I just thought like every normal Person would when they Design a crature 1 day bevore the voting start cause the dumped the first idea and created a new one. There simply wasnt any time left to draw everything myself and yes the images are AI generated. Otherways there would not be any images at all. Cause as said previosly we just had 1 hour to finish this concept wich is to short for me drawing something myself. It was already a race to finish the Text on the dosier and in the Post. So we just used Our AI Images wich were originally planned as an Inspiration for Our final artwork... but as i See all of you complaining about AI Art i will replace the pictures on the dossier with self drawn images tomorrow. 

I do understand the lack of time being a concern seeing as this vote came a week earlier than expected (for me at least), but if you ever do decide to use AI images for a future vote, please mention that the images are generated and why they're present, many people including myself frown upon its use but context would help out greatly 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, VaporVenator said:

For now i put a Text saying that there is AI footage included in the Post. But there are just some people out there who are not Picasso so AI is pretty helpfull to create an Image to Show what your creature should look like. Just for Information  we generated oder 15000 images Till we found some that were good enough for Our Post. At least in Our opinion. Also i dont understand what the Problem of using AI footage is

2 minutes ago, VaporVenator said:

I do understand the lack of time being a concern seeing as this vote came a week earlier than expected (for me at least), but if you ever do decide to use AI images for a future vote, please mention that the images are generated and why they're present, many people including myself frown upon its use but context would help out greatly 👍

For us it also was a week early. We will mention it in all further Posts that are including AI footage 

Thanks for your Feedback 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisiALP said:

Also i dont understand what the Problem of using AI footage is

Many AI generators use other people's work online without their permission for the AI's database, which is borderline if not genuine theft. It also feels very scummy to just make a quick image and earn the same amount of credit as someone who's spent hours upon hours drawing, but I guess that depends on the circumstances (like I said, context helps a lot). 

At the moment AI isn't to the point where it's replacing people's jobs and whatnot, but it's a very big concern for artists as AI very well could reach that point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VaporVenator said:

Many AI generators use other people's work online without their permission for the AI's database, which is borderline if not genuine theft. It also feels very scummy to just make a quick image and earn the same amount of credit as someone who's spent hours upon hours drawing, but I guess that depends on the circumstances (like I said, context helps a lot). 

At the moment AI isn't to the point where it's replacing people's jobs and whatnot, but it's a very big concern for artists as AI very well could reach that point.

From an artist perspectove i can definetly See that point i draw stuff myself often or just rederaw Images from Other artist (only for myself and my friends. Never posting any recolors or slightly changed pictures online). So i get it but we really just had no time left to draw it so we picked this way so we dont have an empty dossier. We will mention it in Our submissions from now on 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ancientbiologyexpert said:

Seems good to me, i prefer the hermit crabs buy this One Is cooler, of you could specify the dimension of the medusae It would be great, Just Meter in lenght and the dimension of the upper parte of the medusae

We actually thought about it a lot but never came to a straight answer for this but i would say the upper parts building space would be comparable to the Megachelons size while the lenght would be rund about 11 Meters 

14 minutes ago, ChrisiALP said:

From an artist perspectove i can definetly See that point i draw stuff myself often or just rederaw Images from Other artist (only for myself and my friends. Never posting any recolors or slightly changed pictures online). So i get it but we really just had no time left to draw it so we picked this way so we dont have an empty dossier. We will mention it in Our submissions from now on 

Thank you, I'm glad we could solve this whole thing without causing any drama 👍. Also, was talking with @DILONG on Discord, and they wanted me to let you know that they're sorry about what they sent earlier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DILONG said:

I wanted to apologize for what I said earlier, It was uncalled for and it only shows my own true colors. I don’t want any forgiveness or anything in return, I just want to say I’m sorry. 

it's fine we understand that it would be prety unsatisfying for evryone who puts hours in artworks to see ai footage with so many votes. i hope it's fine now that it says ai footage at the bottom. I just hadn't enough time to draw the concept by myself

I'm sorry but I cannot support this submission on principal because of the AI art not to mention the fact that you initially posted it without mentioning that it was AI art and only included a disclaimer after people called you out on it and it was a tiny disclaimer at the bottom of the page that most people won't see

Edited by Dpooly69

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, Dpooly69 said:

I'm sorry but I cannot support this submission on principal because of the AI art not to mention the fact that you initially posted it without mentioning that it was AI art and only included a disclaimer after people called you out on it and it was a tiny disclaimer at the bottom of the page that most people won't see

There's nothing wrong with using AI art. Nor does anyone have to declare that's it's AI art. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

There's nothing wrong with using AI art. Nor does anyone have to declare that's it's AI art. 

I mean sure there's nothing against the rules about it in these creature votes but that doesn't stop it from being kind of a scummy thing to do as like others in the comments have said many AI generators use other peoples work without their permission for AI databases not to mention it's kind of iffy that someone who just types up some code to get an image gets the same amount of credit as an artist who spends hours on a single piece of art. AI art is controversial for a very good reason if they were up front and honest from the start about it however I wouldn't have much issue with this submission because I totally get it it's tough for people with no art skills or friends willing to do art commissions for them especially with how fast these votes come out so it's totally understandable that someone would use AI art for their subs however they should at the very least be up front and honest about it this dude wasn't and only left a disclaimer once people called them out on it and it's a tiny bit of text at the bottom of the page that most people won't see that's just being dishonest imo. again sure they haven't broken any rules but that doesn't make what they've done acceptable   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using it! Heck, so what if artists have lost their actual jobs and livelihoods over it? it's not you so you don't even have to worry about such nonsense! 

I don't see why everyone on the submissions forum doesn't simply just generate AI images, to hell with these artists on here, why pay them when we can just get our submission images generated for free, supporting artists is absolutely nonsense, in fact let's just go so far as stating nothing at all so that people will look at it and believe we did them as a full on 4 day long strenuous work of art!

/s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, Sovira said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using it! Heck, so what if artists have lost their actual jobs and livelihoods over it? it's not you so you don't even have to worry about such nonsense! 

I don't see why everyone on the submissions forum doesn't simply just generate AI images, to hell with these artists on here, why pay them when we can just get our submission images generated for free, supporting artists is absolutely nonsense, in fact let's just go so far as stating nothing at all so that people will look at it and believe we did them as a full on 4 day long strenuous work of art!

/s

I agree. It's much cooler when artists like you create their own amazing drawings instead of just having a robot generate it. AI has already taken over enough jobs that it doesn't need to replace artists as well.

However, having said that there are some people who don't have access to any artists to create drawings for their submissions. I do think AI art should be allowed for those instances, but I am still more willing to support submissions with art made by real human beings though.

tgeckog3.png.82b8554c7c51396109121c652722532d.png

Edited by Gecko1611
  • Like 2

Just now, Gecko1611 said:

I agree. It's much cooler when artists like you create their own amazing drawings instead of just having a robot generate it. AI has already taken over enough jobs that it doesn't need to replace artists as well.

However, having said that there are some people who don't have access to any artists to create drawings for their submissions. I do think AI art should be allowed for those instances, but I am still more willing to support submissions with art made by real human beings though.

/G

See the issue with this submission is that they didn't specify it was AI art they tried to pass it off as their own art and when they were rightfully called out on it they only left a small disclaimer at the very bottom of the submission that most people won't see. I totally understand that a majority of people don't have the art skills or friends to do commissions for them so they have to resort to AI art but at the very least be honest about it

21 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I strongly agree, there is nothing wrong with using AI generated images. Given time constraints for the contest, I can understand why people feel the need where, when they are unable to commission an artist, they take to AI generated images. It's very quick and easy, gets an "okay enough" result and with WC redrawing designs anyways, some individuals don't care for making a fleshed out concept in their submissions (though as the Gigantoraptor guy I can attest, art matters because they really did my boy 1:1). Getting back to the topic though, I won't fault people for choosing to use AI images.

However, the issue is that a lot of AI image generating websites have to take their data of what art looks like from somewhere, and that somewhere is usually from the work of other artists without their consent. There isn't anything inherently wrong with using it, however trying to pass it off as your own work, intentionally or not, just hits the wrong nerve for many artists, especially when for a lot of them, art is a livelihood and drawing is a passion for them. It's essentially taking credit for something you didn't do, which is the part that is wrong.

Imagine you've spent some time baking some delicious cookies for a party. You've really put your heart into making said cookies, and you're excited to share them with your friends. Then, someone else comes to the party with cookies they bought from the supermarket, and starts showing them off as if they made them themselves.

Sure, there's nothing inherently wrong with trying to tell people your store bought cookies are homemade, hell most people won't care, but to people who really care about baking and making some sweet treats for people to enjoy, it comes off as super scummy and rude. The worst part about AI generated images is that it's like if someone took your cookies, another partygoer's cakes and yet another partygoer's muffins and tried to pass them all of as their own work. Hopefully you can understand why many artists are commenting some very upset feelings because they have every right to be upset.

I'm curious as to why this was moved to a separate thread. I think it is a very important discussion to have within threads and something that needs some serious thinking about being included in the contest rules. Being moved into a separate thread like this makes people feel even more like their very valid concerns aren't being heard, and instead are being pushed under the rug. However I do understand why it's off topic and needed to be moved. I hope it can be put forward in some way to WC or the like.

I'm personally not talking for outright bans on AI images, but clear and obvious disclaimers when using them. I think a lot of artists will share the same sentiment. Much like how many submissions give credit to the actual artists that were commissioned, it's just the polite thing to do to be clear where you got your art from. The lack of acting on obviously stolen work like the many instances people have straight up ripped the concept art, dossier work, etc from mods like ARK Additions is already bad enough, we don't need more to spoil the pot.

Edited by ashgcy
  • Like 1

• Volunteer Moderator
On 8/10/2023 at 1:09 PM, ashgcy said:

I'm curious as to why this was moved to a separate thread. I think it is a very important discussion to have within threads and something that needs some serious thinking about being included in the contest rules. Being moved into a separate thread like this makes people feel even more like their very valid concerns aren't being heard, and instead are being pushed under the rug. However I do understand why it's off topic and needed to be moved. I hope it can be put forward in some way to WC or the like.

1. It is broader topic than the thread it was in.   The creature submission was hijacked for the conversation, and not in a positive manner.

2. By pulling the conversation into its own thread, and out into the open, with a clear title, it is clearly visible and now stands as its own topic, which can receive its own focus.

3. The other option was to delete the conversation, as it was off-topic and hijacking someone's submission, which, I think, would lean more towards the 'theory' of 'being pushed under the rug'.

Edited by Jerryn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/11/2023 at 6:58 PM, Jerryn said:

1. It is broader topic than the thread it was in.   The creature submission was hijacked for the conversation, and not in a positive manner.

2. By pulling the conversation into its own thread, and out into the open, with a clear title, it is clearly visible and now stands as its own topic, which can receive its own focus.

3. The other option was to delete the conversation, as it was off-topic and hijacking someone's submission, which, I think, would lean more towards the 'theory' of 'being pushed under the rug'.

Thanks for the clear and reasonable response dude