Best Flier in ark?

Lagonbreezey

ARGENTAVIS is a mobile and flyer workbench.. irreplaceable!!    Heals itself by eating carcasses, it's not fast but the other basic stats are very good (you can take down AlphaCristalQueen with one hit life/damage flight, or carry tons of raw materials with points put only on weight)

VULTURE-DIMORPHODON-SINOMACROPS-FEATHERLIGHT:      the first two with a decidedly high Attack Damage, the other two with a winning Speed (and let's add: Sinomacrops' Jetpack and Backpack 1/4 skills, Vulture's Fridge x4 skill), devastating if used in flocks and even better if in mixed combination, they pass in any cave without the impediment to fly, very useful also in the TekCave (a flock of Diomorphodon following a good Carha with a Sinomacrops on his back...they are a great option)   

RHYNIOGNATHA has crossed/corrected the other two birds that I have always used (Tapejara/TropicalWyrm) with my favorite helicopter flight, it has good speed, weight, carries animals and objects, good fighter, hard armor, resin that blocks dinos ( can be used to tame) when on the ground it can move sideways/reverse

I love TAPEJARA for mobility and little size, he have a Tek Saddle and two passenger seats... but also DESMODUS have some other optimal abilities (as mentioned by Cyann)

TROPICAL CRISTAL WYRM is best long way flyer with top speed and good stamina/weight, also good battle stats.

SNOW OWL have all optimal stats, with the ability to dive (if you raise your head just before touching the ground it will maintain that speed for a while in flight), heat vision, heals allies and wild, small size, does not suffer inertia in flight and freezes instantly.

QUETZAL cannot fail to be mentioned with its multifunctional platform saddle...

I would add ASTRODELPHIS and FENIX, with the only flaw that they are not easily accessible at the beginning of the game, but their excellent qualities certainly cannot be excluded..

But I play PVE... these are the birds that I use, excluding alternatives like Mana-RockDrake-Maewing-Gassbug-Bloodstalker, I would add to the list only Griffin which has some of the qualities mentioned in others but for each one I need I would use one of the others. 

If I played in PVP I could probably change the Tropical with the Blood or most probably with an original Wyrm, maybe I would also keep a Tropeognatus (helicopter with rocket engine + bomber) in the kit, but most probably the two favorites would become:

TAPEJARA with Sella Tek

ASTRODELPHIS

Ultimately I fully agree with what Pinpinghot said:

20 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Depends on whether you're playing PvP or PvE, and what job you're trying to do. Each type is good at the job it's designed for.

I would say if you want speed the astrodelphis is the way to go, it's also good for carrying (at least in pve) because it doesnt need anything besides weight.

The griffin is a good mount if you dont have access to astros and is very useful in the middlegame.

For resource hauling argent is probably best, even more so when you grab a doed or anky for farming and it is a pretty solid fighter.

With Rhynio you probably cant do anything wrong, but it is mainly because of the low spawnrates very hard to obtain and cant be bred.

Of the wyvern the lightning one is an absolute beast and a high level one can easily kill wild gigas. I think the poison one is pretty good in pvp because it can hit players on mounts. I think its hard to assign roles to void, ice and fire and its probably personal preference if you use them over the others.

Crystal wyvern can easily obtained as soon as you reach lvl. 65 because they are an easy passive tame and the tropical and blood ones are easy to find. Just jump between their shoulders and passively tame them from their back.

The last one I want to talk about is the skiff, its undeniably one of the most functional "fliers" and can carry almost every creature, is fast an can carry 16k weight. But the big problem is that it is only accessible in very late game since you need a good amount of element and defeat the master controller.

I love a good flock of 12 Dimorphs with health and speed bumped up (so they can keep up with a sprinting Argent).  They will melt most things short of an Alpha Rex in short order and they free you up to ride whatever you want.  I've even used them to clear out wyverns (though a lightning wyvern can mess up the flock pretty quick).  So they are my favorite "flyers".  For personal mounted flyer, I would have to go with the tried and true Argent.  There are others that are a bit more fun, but the Argent is just solid.  Good health, good carry weight and awesome stamina.  Once you find a Mastercraft or really good Journeyman saddle, you can face tank Alpha rexes with them (while the dimorph flock rips them up).  There are times I will fly around with my argent and my flock of Dimorphs pretending to be a Protoss Carrier from Starcraft.  Zoom, zoom, zoom.

Edited by DaddyMike72
  • Like 2

I've always been a huge fan of the Argy. It's always one of my main go to tames on any map they're on. They can transport materials, they have decent combat abilities, and their saddle doubles as a smithy. Maybe not the best at anything it can do, but for when you unlock it's saddle, it's a solid choice for any survivor!

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2023 at 6:25 PM, Lagonbreezey said:

Theres a lot of fliers in ark, from the Pteranodon to the wyvern and everything inbetween (not counting gliders for this one)

imo i feel trop is good late game tho only on crystal isle; wyveron the other hand crystal wyvern has best utility damage easily lighting pve,pvp void wyrm 

I think either griffin or desmodus. They both have great flying handling and are fast with decent damage. Griffin would probably be better in PvE servers though because they are big and very noisy. Desmodus is really good for PvP servers because they can go invisible and are fairly easy to hide without cryopods.