Placing Dedicated Storage on Ocean Platforms

Melcreif

I ran into the same problem when trying to place electrical cables and water pipes on my ocean platform and what I had to do was build those things on the outer edge of the platform and not in the open center area. I just tested that out with the dedicated storage boxes and even when I place them on the outer edge they still won't snap to each other giving that "too high above ground" error message. I looked all over google and youtube for this but I couldn't find a single solution. My only idea is to place your ocean platform in shallow water so that the game doesn't register that you're hundreds of feet in the air, as I know that supposedly works for the electrical cables and water pipes but I've never tested it on dedis.

12 minutes ago, Supremist said:

I ran into the same problem when trying to place electrical cables and water pipes on my ocean platform and what I had to do was build those things on the outer edge of the platform and not in the open center area. I just tested that out with the dedicated storage boxes and even when I place them on the outer edge they still won't snap to each other giving that "too high above ground" error message. I looked all over google and youtube for this but I couldn't find a single solution. My only idea is to place your ocean platform in shallow water so that the game doesn't register that you're hundreds of feet in the air, as I know that supposedly works for the electrical cables and water pipes but I've never tested it on dedis.

Thanks, it's a very strange error, or whatever it is. I don't know why they'd release something as interesting as Ocean platforms and then make them so limited.

Ok I just tested it out on a metal ocean platform on an official server in shallow water, the water was about 3 pillars deep just barely deep enough to hold the ocean platform and it works, it lets you snap dedis together anywhere on the platform even in the center. I'm sure you can place an ocean platform in deeper water than just 3 pillars deep but I have no idea what the limit would be before it gives you the too high above ground error again.

3 hours ago, Supremist said:

Ok I just tested it out on a metal ocean platform on an official server in shallow water, the water was about 3 pillars deep just barely deep enough to hold the ocean platform and it works, it lets you snap dedis together anywhere on the platform even in the center. I'm sure you can place an ocean platform in deeper water than just 3 pillars deep but I have no idea what the limit would be before it gives you the too high above ground error again.

I would imagine it's based on structure height limits.  Might be you need to place over water that is no deeper than 76 walls high.

On 5/17/2022 at 7:33 PM, GrumpyBear said:

I would imagine it's based on structure height limits.  Might be you need to place over water that is no deeper than 76 walls high.

Still defeats the purpose of calling it an Ocean Platform. Should instead call it a shallow water platform LOL. If that's the case, no need for it at all.

34 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

Still defeats the purpose of calling it an Ocean Platform. Should instead call it a shallow water platform LOL. If that's the case, no need for it at all.

Well they were released on genOne which most spots to build there were not as deep as other maps oceans are.  Secondly, they probably assumed that most people would be ascended by that point and could use tek gens negating any need for wires which is why the wires problem has a reasonable workaround.

The dedicated storage issue you are having is a pretty narrow edge case which probably was totally overlooked.  At this point, if the limitation is related to the building height limit, I'd doubt there's anything they can do (or will do) to fix it.  I'd submit a ticket , can't hurt to have them add it to list of bugs.  If it's an easy fix, they might do something.  I'm sure only the easiest to fix and most critical bugs are being handled at this point.

23 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

Well they were released on genOne which most spots to build there were not as deep as other maps oceans are.  Secondly, they probably assumed that most people would be ascended by that point and could use tek gens negating any need for wires which is why the wires problem has a reasonable workaround.

The dedicated storage issue you are having is a pretty narrow edge case which probably was totally overlooked.  At this point, if the limitation is related to the building height limit, I'd doubt there's anything they can do (or will do) to fix it.  I'd submit a ticket , can't hurt to have them add it to list of bugs.  If it's an easy fix, they might do something.  I'm sure only the easiest to fix and most critical bugs are being handled at this point.

What's really strange is not only can you not stack dedicated storage on each other when building on the Ocean platform, but you also can't stack them next to each other either. It seems to me that it should be irrelevant when it first came out. Even if it was Gen1, all the other maps existed so clearly they didn't do a good job of testing it.

Like you mentioned, I'll create a ticket since it certainly can't hurt.

34 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

What's really strange is not only can you not stack dedicated storage on each other when building on the Ocean platform, but you also can't stack them next to each other either. It seems to me that it should be irrelevant when it first came out. Even if it was Gen1, all the other maps existed so clearly they didn't do a good job of testing it.

Like you mentioned, I'll create a ticket since it certainly can't hurt.

we are the testers :(

I did see something the other day, very slightly related....   You are not limited to just the oceans to set them down at.  Heres one set down on a bubble on crystal isles.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• 8 months later...
On 5/17/2022 at 3:31 PM, Melcreif said:

Has anyone found a workaround on this issue? The Ocean Platforms won't allow you to stack Dedicated storage above or next to others ones for some reason which is so annoying.

Hello. Have you heard anything back about the ticket or found a work around? I'm currently going through the same thing. It's so annoying. I've put all this work into creating an ocean base and it might all be for nothing now. 

Archived