Stuck in South portion of Island

DennyDisco

I created my first single player world and made a decent camp on the souther portion of “the island” map. I am now level 61 and almost everything I am trying to make requires crystal, obsidian etc.. there is no crystal or obsidian anywhere near the southern portion of the map and according to google I have to make my way up to the volcano. There is no way I will survive on foot so I have tamed about 5 pteranodons and grinded hours to get all of the hides, karantin/Chinton to craft a saddle only for them to last a few minutes. I’ll fly a good 30 seconds before they run out of stamina so and I find a clearing to land just to let me Dino regain stamina and I instantly get attacked and die. This has happened 5x in a row now literally on my first land for stamina regain. Then all of my supplies are too far for me to get on foot and I lose everything. Is there a specific level my pteranodon needs to be before even attempting to fly them? I’ve tried level 25 pterandons pumping everything into stamina only for the same thing to happen over and over again.  I am getting bored just grinding for saddles only for my Dino to get destroyed within 30 seconds of putting it on him.

• Volunteer Moderator

This is the easy crystal to get in the south:

image.png

Now for Ob, get your ptera and fly along the east coast and north. Staying on the coast will keep you pretty safe. Then grab some Ob from the north east mountain. Just be careful there when you land. But again, you are close to the coast for safety:

image.png

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, DennyDisco said:

That makes sense thank you! So just stay along the coasts when flying my pteranodon ? Do I wait until I get a better flight Dino before I can fly inland?

A good plan is to stick around that north east mountain a bit. There are a lot of argies there. Plenty of simple and cheap trap plans on the net. Grab a good argie and you are home free. Can own the map at that point.

• Volunteer Moderator

You can still drive busted up low level pteras around. You just have to be pretty mindful of your stam. Some tips:

• Only level stam
  • When you get to about half stam, start looking to land. Stop sprinting to save stam and find a nice high ledge or large rock to land on to regain stam. You can almost always stay safe if you do that. Plus, if you land early with some stam in reserve, you can always just take right off if something big attacks you.

Just FYI the crystal that is the farthest south (circled, not the un-circled ocean stuff) is in the cave of the hunter, it is not too bad but it can get dicy (mostly centipedes, scorps, snakes and sarcos but occasonally there will be megalosaurus and megalania, a megatherium can fit but you have to bust the top crystals to get them out). BUT there is a LOT of crystal to be had even before reaching the animal spawns in that cave.

• Volunteer Moderator
38 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Just FYI the crystal that is the farthest south (circled, not the un-circled ocean stuff) is in the cave of the hunter, it is not too bad but it can get dicy (mostly centipedes, scorps, snakes and sarcos but occasonally there will be megalosaurus and megalania, a megatherium can fit but you have to bust the top crystals to get them out). BUT there is a LOT of crystal to be had even before reaching the animal spawns in that cave.

Just go to the top of the hill there. Most north red circle. Easy crystal. May run into a raptor at worst.

Fixed my original map for clarity.

3 hours ago, DennyDisco said:

I created my first single player world and made a decent camp on the souther portion of “the island” map. I am now level 61 and almost everything I am trying to make requires crystal, obsidian etc.. there is no crystal or obsidian anywhere near the southern portion of the map and according to google I have to make my way up to the volcano. There is no way I will survive on foot so I have tamed about 5 pteranodons and grinded hours to get all of the hides, karantin/Chinton to craft a saddle only for them to last a few minutes. I’ll fly a good 30 seconds before they run out of stamina so and I find a clearing to land just to let me Dino regain stamina and I instantly get attacked and die. This has happened 5x in a row now literally on my first land for stamina regain. Then all of my supplies are too far for me to get on foot and I lose everything. Is there a specific level my pteranodon needs to be before even attempting to fly them? I’ve tried level 25 pterandons pumping everything into stamina only for the same thing to happen over and over again.  I am getting bored just grinding for saddles only for my Dino to get destroyed within 30 seconds of putting it on him.

Yeah, south end of the island is very baren in the ways of crystal, obsidian, other late game stuffs. The only real thing you can try to do to fix that is visit the cave of the hunter. That cave is littered with easy to snag crystal, and no cave enemies to deal with at the very beginning part of it. However if your looking to put together a chem bench, indy cooker, or a greenhouse, you may want to venture further in. Id also suggest a tame with a HIGH weight stat, and a high melee anky to get much chunkier pieces of crystal in one shot than just a pick.

Now as for you pteranadon problems, Id struongly suggest useing rocks and higher up areas to land on. Don't just land on the ground, and don't land in an area you can't see around you......this will be a constant problem when useing ANY flyer. If you want, you don't need to fly as fast as possible. This will save you a lot of stamina and this should allow you to be able to judge where best to land at before committing to a parking spot. Yeah, it kinda sucks, takes forever, you got to figure out a landing spot before you run out of stamina which takes more time.......yeeeeaaahhhh.

The only other option you got, get a better bird.

If you float a raft along the west side of the map, just before you get into the snow zone you will find argentavis's. Argies are the main staple for first time fliers......more health than a pteranadon, more stamina, and absolutely more melee. You gotta try and tame up a good one.....If your on default settings, your going to be looking for one over lvl 40. If you have max level dinos, get an 80 or better. Then get that melee to 500% and you will be good to lay waste to allmost any normal creature. Rex's, raptos, bronto's......try to work on getting health over 3k after that, then stamina if you so wish, but even if you can't fly too far, your bird can kick some butt, chew on the leftovers, and heals up automatically when it does so. Oh, and the argy cuts the weight of raw metal, stone, crystal, and metal by half.

Archived