Question about quality weapons, namely torpor inducers

thedrongoofark

• Volunteer Moderator
32 minutes ago, Luewen said:

And tested again on single player. lvl 100 giga. Says it needs 148 bolts with 298% crossbow.

Again, I can't vouch anything about that app, but that is actually accurate:

(10000 + ((100 - 1) * 600)) / (((35 * 2) + ((35 * 2) * 1.25)) * 2.98) = 147.86406732715457 // Rounded to 148

2 hours ago, Luewen said:

Quite a bold claim on it never being wrong on knockout tames. I remember plenty of occasions.

Let's be serious here, it's not a "bold claim' it's just basic math. Please dial it back on the rhetoric for a moment and let's just talk, let's try to figure this out together.

There are formulas for each animal, like the one that invincibleqc posted, and Dododex uses those formulas. It's not a "bold claim" to say that math works the same way every time. This isn't quantum mechanics it's just basic arithmetic. 2+2 is always 4, and the formula for a Lvl 100 giga will always tell you that a 298% crossbow needs 148 bolts. If a million people use dododex they're all going to get the same results - and those results work for me every time. It's not a big claim, it's just basic math.

The only sensible answer is that there's something different/wrong on your end. Again, I'm not saying that you're the one doing something wrong, I'm only saying that there is something wrong and it's not Dododex, hopefully we can figure out what it really is.

2 hours ago, Luewen said:

And tested again on single player. lvl 100 giga. Says it needs 148 bolts with 298% crossbow. Stopping to shoot it at 148 took it to 80% torpor before it started falling again. Took 170 bolts to knock it out. Tested 2 times a row. Not a single bolt missed.

It just worked perfectly for me on single player. I just now tested your specific scenario before writing this post.

I used the Upgrade Station mod to make a 298% crossbow. Mine was 298.2%, after multiple attempts I couldn't get one that was exactly 298% but 298.2% is close enough. If you plug 298.2% into Dododex the answer is still the same, 148 tranq arrows. Then I put exactly 148 crossbow bolts into my inventory and proceeded to shoot them at the giga. After I fired all 148 bolts I waited for about 6 1/2 minutes while the torpor climbed up and *bam* the giga dropped down, knocked out cold.

image.png

Here are the possible answers (that I can think of) that would explain what happened to you.

1) You miscounted the hits or one+ of your arrows missed. When you noticed that the torpor got to 80% and started dropping it took 22 more bolts to make up for the lost torpor and knock it out. Again there's nothing personal in this answer, it happens to everyone sometimes. Everyone I know has done the same thing when taming at various times. It's really easy to miss just one, and one is all it takes to mess things up with fast-torpor-drain animals.

2) Mate boosted - not in this specific test of course, since it's obvious that you didn't spawn in two Lvl 100's close to each other. I know you tested it twice but I'm confident you didn't spawn them both in at the same time. I'm listing this as #2 because it's surprisingly common. I've seen plenty of examples of people (including myself) trying to tame two animals at the same time while forgetting that the animals have +33% resistance because of the mate boost.

3) Settings on your PC. Of course your settings won't matter if you're playing on a dedicated server, both Official and Unofficial, but if you're doing your testing in local/host mode then you might have a setting that's off and you don't notice it, or if you've ever edited your .ini files there might be a wonky setting in there somewhere.

Settings to look for might be   WildDinoTorporDrainMultiplier, DinoResistanceMultiplier, DinoClassResistanceMultipliers   or... maybe something I haven't thought of. I wouldn't be surprised if some other setting affects the amount of torpor on animals but can't think of any others at this time.

Archived