Gga taming method

Harna

Pick up a dodo or dilo with a bird, wild or tamed, and wave it under its nose, it should fixate on it and follow you, even if you fly up out of chomping distance. Just go careful you don't get you and your bird mullered when you're trying to attract it.

note: I have not tried this myself, but I have seen it as a tactic others have used.

I've done the gates + large trap thing, just clear out all other wild dinos so it won't get distracted then land near it so it'll aggro on you and then lead it into the trap.
Using a quetzal that I've pumped only health on as the first time it took a bite out of it when I was just over the trap. Leaving me with about 50HP on the quetzal after the bleed debuff went away...

I've tamed two using an argent carrying really anything. make sure you clear out all the wild dinos first. Have had no trouble luring him right in, but have a died a few times trying to unmount the bird and place the last fence fast enough before he breaks free. Also trapped one and had it despawn when i left to get supplies after trapping.

The lvl 116 giga i tamed recently i led all the way from the NE mountain to my base halfway across the map using a quetzal with a platform saddle.  They're easily distracted but it can be done if you're patient.  When he wanders off just shoot him once or twice and lead him where you want him to go.  I left an ankylo i didn't want anymore as bait inside my metal gate trap and he aggroed it as soon as he was in range, making it very easy for me to land and close the door behind him.

1 hour ago, Drynin said:

I need to get a Quetz to tame a giga

You could probably do with with an argentavis as well but you'd need one with high health.  Gigas have a surprisingly long attack range so you're bound to get bitten a few times if you need to lead him even a moderate distance.  The benefit of a platform saddle is also that you can dismount and stand on the saddle and shoot arrows while your bird regains stamina, never having to land.  You'd have to be a lot more creative with an argent.

If you're playing multiplayer taming everything is much easier.

Archived