Renting a Dedicated Server for Xbox?

NymeriaSaida

I have seen plenty of people around the forums mention that some folks solve the "can't find anywhere to build on public servers" and "constantly getting offline raided because I can't log in every single day to check on my defenses" problems by renting a dedicated server for them and their friends to play on, but most of the instances I've seen discussed in any detail were focused on PC servers. Is it possible to do this on Xbox One? If so, how would one go about doing this, and what does it usually cost?

I formed a tribe on an Official PvP server with three or four friends who play ARK very sporadically (like, they log in maybe once a week for a couple hours), but me and my brother are the only ones who are on with any regularity. We've stuck it out through several complete wipes of all our bases, a dedicated troll insistently killing everything we tame as soon as we sign off, plus a server-wide war between all the Alpha and Beta tribes, and have toughed it out on Official PvP 402 for a very long time... but it's been a rough road, and every time we get a base fortified and advanced up to fabricator tier, we inevitably get wiped within a few days because the two of us can't be around 24/7 to defend against raiders. if Wildcard doesn't opt to wipe all the official servers when the game hits retail release, I think we might need to move to an unofficial dedicated server where we can actually build up bases and tame dinos without having to worry that they'll all be taken away if our real-life obligations force us to not sign on for a couple days.

As far as I know right now, it seems like the only way we'd be able to make that happen would be to have one of us buy an extra Xbox One, get an additional Xbox Live subscription, buy another copy of ARK, and host a dedicated server on that Xbox that just stays running 24/7. This isn't really a feasible option for us, since none of us has the $400+ to blow on setting up an ARK server (and I also feel like leaving an Xbox running 24/7 will burn it out fairly quickly, but I'm not sure if that's accurate or not). Does anyone know if there is a way we could pay like, a monthly fee to have some third party (preferably a company, because I wouldn't trust an individual not to swindle us) host a server that we have admin control over? Initially it would just be me and my friends, but we would ideally like to open it up so other players can join... on the stipulation that we would have the power to remove them from the server and/or demolish their structures if they start causing problems and greifing other players. I'm all for a bit of friendly PvP rivalry, and the ARK is way more fun when it's inhabited by other people... but I cannot abide territorial xenophobes incessantly sullying huge swaths of the beautiful ARK landscape by spamming pillars everywhere just so nobody else can build on "their land."

1 minute ago, Rickyh24 said:

You don't need another copy of the game or another live account. 

Why not? It's not like I can sign in with my gamertag, boot up ARK, start a dedicated server, and then go log in on the same gamertag on another xbox. It would sign me off of the first Xbox (subsequently shutting down the server) as soon as I logged in on the second one.

1 minute ago, NymeriaSaida said:

Why not? It's not like I can sign in with my gamertag, boot up ARK, start a dedicated server, and then go log in on the same gamertag on another xbox. It would sign me off of the first Xbox (subsequently shutting down the server) as soon as I logged in on the second one.

You can set up game sharing (Google it) between two Xbox ones, one of which is the server (you set each others Xboxes as 'home' and it shares your digital games libraries basically).

This will allow you to make an Xbox Silver profile and boot up Ark and run a server from it without needing a second gold account or even a second copy of the game. That's what I do and it works great. You still have to splash out on a second Xbox one though.

3 minutes ago, NymeriaSaida said:

I asked a guy who hosts his own called lostbytes he was very helpful:

Nope, only need 1 account / one copy of the game

you'll need 2 xboxs (XB1 and XB2)

and two profiles...one with gold (PG), one without (PS)

On XB1, Sign in with (PG) and make XB! the home console and enable gold sharing. then, sign out.

Still on XB1, sign in on (PS) and reun dedicated server.

Sign in on XB2 with (PG) to play on your dedi.

It is very easy to set up.....but the people are a pain to deal with

3 minutes ago, NymeriaSaida said:

You need another gamertag. You don't need another live account attached to that gamertag though. 

11 minutes ago, LokiTDD said:

I asked a guy who hosts his own called lostbytes he was very helpful:

Nope, only need 1 account / one copy of the game

you'll need 2 xboxs (XB1 and XB2)

and two profiles...one with gold (PG), one without (PS)

On XB1, Sign in with (PG) and make XB! the home console and enable gold sharing. then, sign out.

Still on XB1, sign in on (PS) and reun dedicated server.

Sign in on XB2 with (PG) to play on your dedi.

It is very easy to set up.....but the people are a pain to deal with

Ahh, interesting... so, basically we'd be paying the cost of an additional Xbox in order to host our own dedicated server. It's a tough sell, but I may be able to convince everyone to chip in and pool our efforts if it means we can play on a version of PvP-enabled ARK where people can't grief us (and we don't all have to stay within 250m of each other).

My only concern would be the long-term impact of leaving that Xbox running 24/7 to keep the server up. Wouldn't that take a toll on the hardware, and cause the console to burn out much sooner than it would from normal usage? I'd hate to petition everyone for donations and make that $350-ish investment just to have the server-hosting console burn out after a month and leave us unable to access our server until we buy another one...

8 minutes ago, NymeriaSaida said:

Ahh, interesting... so, basically we'd be paying the cost of an additional Xbox in order to host our own dedicated server. It's a tough sell, but I may be able to convince everyone to chip in and pool our efforts if it means we can play on a version of PvP-enabled ARK where people can't grief us (and we don't all have to stay within 250m of each other).

My only concern would be the long-term impact of leaving that Xbox running 24/7 to keep the server up. Wouldn't that take a toll on the hardware, and cause the console to burn out much sooner than it would from normal usage? I'd hate to petition everyone for donations and make that $350-ish investment just to have the server-hosting console burn out after a month and leave us unable to access our server until we buy another one...

Hmm, typically no most wear and tear on electronics is from the initial surge at start up and when they are cooling down after being switched off, that being said the bearings in the fans and such tend to have a shelf life in hours but that typically just means that they would get noisier sooner. If your interested I can point you in the direction of the server i'm tempted to join, structure resistance set to 0 so no offline raiding.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/43198-islandb4time-xbox-24-7-dedicated-pvp-but-friendly-structure-setting/#comment-258560

torn between joining one or making one

11 minutes ago, NymeriaSaida said:

I'm running a Ded server 24/7 and the Xbox isn't running as hot or loud as it would running a normal game. Only been going a few weeks so can't speculate on the long term health of it but so far it has not got excessively hot even after staying on for days at a time.

make sure you can get your NAT set to Open otherwise you're gonna get a world of pains in the ass.

it is a little bit of admin and time to run it, keep in mind that it might lag out or crash if you are downloading/uploading on the same connection. I have to shut ours down when I upload to YouTube as YouTube seems to use every god damn inch of upload bandwidth to upload videos.

downloading doesn't seem to affect it as badly. 

9 minutes ago, LokiTDD said:

Hmm, typically no most wear and tear on electronics is from the initial surge at start up and when they are cooling down after being switched off, that being said the bearings in the fans and such tend to have a shelf life in hours but that typically just means that they would get noisier sooner. If your interested I can point you in the direction of the server i'm tempted to join, structure resistance set to 0 so no offline raiding.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/43198-islandb4time-xbox-24-7-dedicated-pvp-but-friendly-structure-setting/#comment-258560

torn between joining one or making one

Thanks for the link... I was very tempted, right up until this line:

3) Fun stats - 6x taming, 4x XP, 5x dino resource harvesting, short night, .3 stamina (birds fly three times as far)

Unfortunately, this is what's kept us from joining an Unofficial server thus far. In my opinion, the difficulty level of ARK on standard vanilla settings is what makes it a survival game, and that's why I find it so entertaining. I could live with slightly-boosted taming times, since the prohibitively-long timers on many of the bigger animals is what stops me from even trying to tame them in my limited play time... but boosted XP and resource harvesting feels like cheating to me, and I can never seem to find any Unofficial Xbox PvP servers that don't have at least one of those things jacked up to a point that I feel it would take all the challenge out of the game.

I definitely like the idea of a PvP server where you can't get offline raided, though... sounds like the perfect balance to me. If only I could find a server like that without the boosted XP and resource harvesting...

Just now, NymeriaSaida said:

Thanks for the link... I was very tempted, right up until this line:

Unfortunately, this is what's kept us from joining an Unofficial server thus far. In my opinion, the difficulty level of ARK on standard vanilla settings is what makes it a survival game, and that's why I find it so entertaining. I could live with slightly-boosted taming times, since the prohibitively-long timers on many of the bigger animals is what stops me from even trying to tame them in my limited play time... but boosted XP and resource harvesting feels like cheating to me, and I can never seem to find any Unofficial Xbox PvP servers that don't have at least one of those things jacked up to a point that I feel it would take all the challenge out of the game.

I definitely like the idea of a PvP server where you can't get offline raided, though... sounds like the perfect balance to me. If only I could find a server like that without the boosted XP and resource harvesting...

I can see the point in the slight bump to dino gathering makes using a dino to gather more appealing but not if you have player gathering boosted too that being said I think the base dino gather is at 3. something to begin with, I was going to set up my own but my tribemate is going to be offline for the foreseeable future so I guess the problem would be populating it with like minded players, the concern being I don't want it to seem like work

1 hour ago, LokiTDD said:

I was going to set up my own but my tribemate is going to be offline for the foreseeable future so I guess the problem would be populating it with like minded players

Well, if you do end up going for it, and set up a server that doesn't have any settings besides taming time boosted, let me know. I can at least offer two relatively-frequent players who are very friendly (but not care-bear players - we do enjoy a bit of casual PvP if both parties are online) and love building unique, aesthetically-pleasing bases (and hate pillar/foundation spammers). I also have 3-4 other tribemates who would probably join the server, but they are all on infrequently and at sporadic times.

Before you and your friends pitch in to buy a new xbox, whoever is going to be hosting the server in the long run should host one using their xbox, and the other friends join the game to be sure they have a good ping while playing. 

Wouldn't want to buy a new Xbox and find out your friends can barely play due to a bad Internet connection ;)

• 10 months later...

Yep we did the exact same thing a year ago. My brother, son and I all chipped in and bought an Xbox to setup as a ded server since at the time it was very difficult for us all to get into an official server at the same time.  Here are some tips from our experience:

1. You have to buy an Xbox which divided among 3 people was pretty cheap.  If you buy it from Costco you have a 90 day return policy if you guys decide it isn't worth the hassle so this is pretty risk free when considering what some of the folks above mentioned

2. The server software for Ark isn't the best so be prepared to have the server go down at the most annoying times.  Make sure it's setup with someone who can get to it quickly if/when it goes down otherwise you will get a ton of emails/texts, messages asking when the server will be brought back up.  You might get to the point where you get annoyed with complaining gamers at this point so try to put yourself in their shoes. They could easily just give up on your server and join another one which isn't what you want.

3. Post on the dedicated servers forum recruiting folks to your server!

4. Take a poll once your server is established and see what kinds of settings they are wanting from the experience.

5. Give folks plenty of notice if you decide to change settings, do complete wipes, whatever. Nice to not have folks caught off guard.

Have fun!  If I think of anything else I'll make sure to throw it up here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived