Questionable Ethics of Bug/Exploit Bounty:|

mgsgta3

I'm not sure where to put this, but I thought it best to put it in the public forum in hopes it gets a fair response. Also, To be clear I love the game,  really like the devs and how ambitious and hard working they are. That said....

Last year, almost a year ago exact I reported some major exploits through email, and several(like actually 5-7+) holes in the mesh, with the exact location clearly shown(debuginfo gps coords, in game gps coords, map location, etc.), and the ease in which these holes could be exploited via short videos(one easy access one was so big you could fly a quetzal through). However, the main report made was about being able to build on the surface. keep in mind this was 6 months BEFORE all of those people on 6 man tribes were dev wiped for building up there
    I did get a response via email confirming the reports were received. I asked if the surface building was an exploit, to which I was told "These wouldn't be classified as an exploit, but it is a bug and will get resolved. Just some volumes/bounds need to be adjusted to make sure we're covering everything accordingly :)" Well, Okay, that sounded like a simple fix right? If it was so simple why not just fix it then before it was an issue? Not in September when many tribes in 6 man servers were dev wiped including a big streamer, for building on the surface(because it was considered exploiting the game by using the map in unintended ways, building in unintended areas, words from the Admin himself in a video by GtJack3d). I literally saw comments on youtube saying "I was going to buy Ark, but not when stuff like this happens.".
It never seemed right, for either me or for the ones wiped. If it's an exploit then why is it not named so, and if it wasnt an exploit then why were the tribes dev wiped? It felt shady but since I didnt see any way I could approach the matter, I didnt. 

Until today, I noticed in the code of conduct the very first line of what exploits are...
" Exploiting - examples are not limited to but can include:
* Attacking from, traveling through, or building in unintended game-zones (under the mesh or above the map  
"

On top of the actual definition per Wikipedia, for exploiting is "In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hitboxes, speed or level design etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers."

So I was lied too. 

Now, that nobody actually did anything about the holes or that simple volume adjusting on the surface back in april of last year is out of my hands. As far as reporting the exploit, I did my part. In doing so I knew it would've been in my best interest in the sense of having a gameplay advantage if I DID NOT say anything since I built up there myself. I reported anyways, spent time making many videos, editing them for the devs viewing convenience, remaking a couple even, and thoroughly showed how the surface building worked(where the line was that the burning stopped and you would be safe, that you could build ALL over the top of all the surface, etc.).
    So I did my end. Had they done their end they would have sold more units of Ark(and more DLC with each unit), and saved that whole September thing. 
They wouldnt have preferred that I pulled a HOD gaming and showed everyone about the surface via a youtube video, so both methods of informing/reporting(showing public, reporting directly) seem discouraging. Game integrity is important, and I like helping to maintain it when I can but not when Its ignored, and when Im lied too.

So I guess my main point of writing this is to see about it being corrected now that I do have solid, concrete evidence that it was exploiting(via code of conduct). I chose this forum because I didnt see any other viable place for it.

Heres a link to the surface video I sent in, watch at 2x to save time 

Guest BubbaCrawfish

That CoC got changed when GTJack3d got banned for building above the area, and after he made the tutorial to show people that you could build up there.

Just so you are aware as such...

5 minutes ago, BubbaCrawfish said:

That CoC got changed when GTJack3d got banned for building above the area, and after he made the tutorial to show people that you could build up there.

Just so you are aware as such...

I know, I understand that, thats why I said I am now saying something. It wasnt clear cut before in the code of conduct but exploiting as it is defined was clear cut before that incident "In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, speed or level design etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.", and to deny it being an exploit seemed dishonest but I had no way forward.
He was dev wiped, not banned*

Guest BubbaCrawfish

Usually if a certain thing doesn't cover something, changing it after the fact doesn't allow for retrograding the effect.

Like, don't get me wrong, I think you should get something for reporting it. A little sign under the map in various spots saying 'mgsgta3 wuz hair'... ;)

So sick of the devs/gms picking and choosing what is an exploit and when/where they will enforce their own rules . For example i reported cheating but they did nothing about it and even had screenshot proof of building under the map ....soon after i reported it i got meshed after the ticket was made which in my opinion is way too convenient...

There is alot of shady things going on over there now but too many players do not separate game vs developers so when a problem that involves the developers/gms they think of the users are attacking the game instead of it being a dev/gm problem so its either that or their getting paid to uphold them .

Ive reported so many holes, glitches and general problems in a particular area of the map i actually ended up with a gm moving into my base(have proof) for quick viewings in that particular area i was working on back in early access which now the most bug free area on the island map i would say . I mention this as there should be some sort of recognition to the players that make the game better for everyone for a fair and fun game experience kind of like that room on ragnarok with players names on the walls instead of some generic auto generated email which frankly is just insulting in my opinion or some sort of run around like the op had . 

50 minutes ago, Soldier905 said:

So sick of the devs/gms picking and choosing what is an exploit and when/where they will enforce their own rules . For example i reported cheating but they did nothing about it and even had screenshot proof of building under the map ....soon after i reported it i got meshed after the ticket was made which in my opinion is way too convenient...

There is alot of shady things going on over there now but too many players do not separate game vs developers so when a problem that involves the developers/gms they think of the users are attacking the game instead of it being a dev/gm problem so its either that or their getting paid to uphold them .

Ive reported so many holes, glitches and general problems in a particular area of the map i actually ended up with a gm moving into my base(have proof) for quick viewings in that particular area i was working on back in early access which now the most bug free area on the island map i would say . I mention this as there should be some sort of recognition to the players that make the game better for everyone for a fair and fun game experience kind of like that room on ragnarok with players names on the walls instead of some generic auto generated email which frankly is just insulting in my opinion or some sort of run around like the op had . 

The recognition you get is the area being bug free. Why does everyone want a gold star? You helped everyone by doing it, be happy with that

4 minutes ago, Soldier905 said:

A player basically did their job for them while PAYING to do their job so that is why a "gold star" is needed......

And? Lots of people have helped many companies. Pretty vain if you ask me. Email WC and explain how you helped with a few mesh holes and you want a acknowledgement for it then. 

Until then you can deal with it. Many of us have helped with stuff like this for the better of the game not just for some participation ribbon. Cmon.. thats being entitled.

Archived