The big beaver thread, locations advice and how to make Dams

Lordinception

10 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

I have to say, I can understand your frustration. There seems to be some sort of inconsistency with the process; or some sort of condition/trigger we are not completely understanding yet.

location seems to be very important - if it wasn't a 90 minutes waiting time for spawns on my server, i'd test it more thoroughly in other locations.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, boblienhart said:

I wouldn't give up on beaver dams yet!

If you have beavers naturally spawning near Hidden Lake (about 22.6, 70) AND if no one has built anything nearby then I would lay down a 3x4 pen made with stone fence foundations, walled in with stone walls except for one stone doorway and reinforced door.  Pick up 3 wild beavers and deposit them into the pen.  Leave the area. Come back several hours later and you should have 3 beaver dams.

The first time I did this I actually forgot that I had beavers in a pen and only remembered to check them just before going to bed that night.  I was all around the island that day.  Admittedly I am playing on a PC as a single user and "stasis" might not even apply but IF you have beavers naturally spawning near Hidden Lake then I don't see why  your results wouldn't be similar with an Xbox One.  If you do not have naturally spawning beavers in the immediate area then it will probably require more effort to keep those penned up beavers from despawning.  If that is the case then your mileage will most likely vary considerably.

I usually just go level up my most recent tame at Carno Island to pass the time.  And I still believe that the longer the beavers and their dams remain undisturbed then the more CP you will eventually harvest.

I wish you the best of luck!

Our testing at and around hidden lake produced zero dams on xbox.  

3 minutes ago, D4u2s0t said:

Our testing at and around hidden lake produced zero dams on xbox.

Bummer!  Has anyone been able to build a beaver pen on an Xbox and gotten any dams either at Hidden Lake or anywhere else?

I have never seen a beaver dam out in the wild on my single player PC.  Are you Xbox users finding beaver dams out in the wild?

It would certainly come as no surprise to me if the game versions differed in this way, i.e. PC vs Xbox.  At least not at the present stage of development.

11 minutes ago, boblienhart said:

Bummer!  Has anyone been able to build a beaver pen on an Xbox and gotten any dams either at Hidden Lake or anywhere else?

I have never seen a beaver dam out in the wild on my single player PC.  Are you Xbox users finding beaver dams out in the wild?

It would certainly come as no surprise to me if the game versions differed in this way, i.e. PC vs Xbox.  At least not at the present stage of development.

I have seen zero beaver dams, anywhere.  And believe me, I have looked lol 

the dams are rare to find if you are hosting in the same xbox that you are playing you need to be near the area in wich the dams spawn about the beaver dams that new to me i will give it a shoot in official server by the way in the farm in dedicated server i dont know how much time take a beaver to build  dams and when you arent near the animals are put in stasis the will not do it if you arent near all the time that they need

300px-Map_The_Island.jpg

Honestly, I think whatever drives the spawn rates of beaver dams is a bit broken, the idea is good but the implementation is a bit shonky.

the fact they can be spawned by capturing wild beavers and dropping them in pens in specific locations does make them OP - but the random nature of wild spawns is also so damn random, that single players and low pop servers will hardly ever see one.

i agree they need to be addressed, but I'm not sure outright nerfing them is the solution at this point - but pointing out the issue is certainly a step in the right direction.

there's still more creatures to come and likely more ways to gather cementing paste yet to be implemented.

if they were to make beaver dams spawn from all beavers every 24 hours, wild or tamed, then nerfing the cementing paste contents would be fine, but to nerf it without making dams easily available to everyone only benefits those who've already exploited it.

We haven't had any luck with the beaver dams either. I placed 3 in a pin near the area they spawn by red tower last night. Come on about 2pm today and no luck. Added 2 more thinking the more there are the better odds of them building one. So far no luck there. 

Even with me near last night for around 20 minutes, they didn't build anything. 

Maybe its possible to transfer them to a pin near our base? Would that still allow them to build dams or do they need to be near the water front they spawn?

This is a player dedicated server as well.

On 3/14/2016 at 9:26 AM, Jerryn said:

And above that fall is a river that leads to a lake?

If some that is where I have my taming pit.   Wilds do spawn there, but I only have seen a few dams there; I think 1 under the fall and then 1 on each side as that river meets the main river.

My base is also right there, with an aviary on the rock column opposite of the falls and the main base on the bigger rock column to the south.

Tbk0qsi.jpg

Hey! I found 2 dams ( the other is behind the rock to the right) at the same place. Instead of being below the waterfall this was actually before in that really deep zone ( was using a slight water glitch to see better :D )  Xbox Official server

So I am beginning to wonder if beaver pens are a PC thing and naturally spawning beaver dams is an Xbox thing.  For example I am on a single player PC and have had no trouble maintaining a single pen at Hidden Lake with 3 mate-boosted beavers that came from that immediate area and harvesting 2000-4000 CP per day.  But I have never seen a beaver dam in the wild and I have checked a lot of the locations that have been offered.  And from the Xbox postings no one has been able to get a populated beaver pen to produce a dam but several Xbox users seem to have found dams out in the wild.  At least as far as I can tell from the various postings.

Anybody out there have any counter examples?

Finally had some luck this evening on the right side of the upper waterfall near the green obelisk (thanks for the idea @Jerryn!). Fence foundations, Windows and a door, 3x4. Snagged a beaver from down-river and dropped it in via argent, then chilled on the cliff just out of render range for 2 days (little over an hour). 500CP, some flowers and 500 wood.

20160318213636_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Urahaira said:

Finally had some luck this evening on the right side of the upper waterfall near the green obelisk (thanks for the idea @Jerryn!). Fence foundations, Windows and a door, 3x4. Snagged a beaver from down-river and dropped it in via argent, then chilled on the cliff just out of render range for 2 days (little over an hour). 500CP, some flowers and 500 wood.

20160318213636_1.jpg

Was this on official or player dedicated?

7 hours ago, boblienhart said:

So I am beginning to wonder if beaver pens are a PC thing and naturally spawning beaver dams is an Xbox thing.  For example I am on a single player PC and have had no trouble maintaining a single pen at Hidden Lake with 3 mate-boosted beavers that came from that immediate area and harvesting 2000-4000 CP per day.  But I have never seen a beaver dam in the wild and I have checked a lot of the locations that have been offered.  And from the Xbox postings no one has been able to get a populated beaver pen to produce a dam but several Xbox users seem to have found dams out in the wild.  At least as far as I can tell from the various postings.

Anybody out there have any counter examples?

Found some in the wild on pc

• Volunteer Moderator

FWIW, I don't beavers will build in just any old spot.  They have to be in the right spot, at the right time, as they come out of statis.

On PC:

So far, the only right spots I have found so far are the flat ledges next to the water falls at the green obelisk, the top and bottom of the upper water fall near the green obelisk, the flat ledges in the swampy area north of the green obelisk, the flat ledges on the southern end of Hidden Lake, and the sandy spots on each side of the water fall, at the bottom, that dumps into the river the runs between Fars Peak and Frozen Tooth.

I have not done any serious work on timing yet, but it appears to be somewhere between 45 and 1.5 hours. 

The reason for the coming out of statis comment is that one, animals in statis don't do anything, two, if wild beavers that have been moved from their original location are left in stasis too long, they will despawn without making any dams, but if you get back before they despawn, at it is the right time and place, you will get a dam.  However, it is also possible that they will make them while active(have not tested this myself); but I have had them make a damn as they were being spawned in during my first tests.

Lastly, I think that they should stop calling these dams and call them lodges, especially since they can be spawned out of water so easily.

2 hours ago, Jerryn said:

FWIW, I don't beavers will build in just any old spot.  They have to be in the right spot, at the right time, as they come out of statis.

-snip-

im not sure, I found a beaver dam on a side of a cliff beside the waterfall... made a dam mid flight? lol but I think its in a radius ( no idea how far) from their spawn point that they are allowed to build dams. ( I'll post a pic of it when I get home ~8-9 hours)

Archived