tame Advice on Tamed Dinos

Myrm

Hi.

I have recently started taming my first dinosaurs.  So far I have a Pteranondon and a Triceratops.

I have a few noob questions for answers please.

1) Will tamed dinos hunt/feed themselves?  If no, what happens to dinos I command to stay in a particular place, and I go to the other side of the map for a long period of time?

2) What recommendation do you have for setting my tamed dinos behaviour and follow me distance?  I have the pteranodon set to passive flee, so when she is attacked she flies away.  This has resulted twice in my having to spend a long time trying to find her again.  

3)The first time I lost my pteranodon I Googled what to do and I saw a lot of suggestions stating that the pteranodons tend to fly up to their ceiling when fleeing, which can cause proplems trying to get it back.  However, on both occasions that I lost mine, I found her sitting on the ground.  The ceiling suggestions I read were from about 18-24 monhts ago.  Did the devs change the flee behaviour of the pteranondon.

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to offer your advice, if indeed you choose to do so.  Any other tips you believe I may find helpful regarding tamed dinos, would be gratefully received.

I tend to play on solo server on XB1X, if that helps.

Kind regards.

1. No, you have to feed them yourself. Craft a feeding trough as soon as possible and stock it with meat and berries regularly. If you don't feed them they will eventually starve to death, assuming something else doesn't eat them first. If you're playing on a server and don't render them in at least once a week they will just despawn as well, you need to continually check up on them.

2. Birds should be on passive, not passive flee. Small animals and those that are useless in combat (like paras) should also be on passive. Also put them on ignore group whistles. Follow distance depends on what you're doing really, I've used almost all of them at various times. Non-combat animals should be protected by you, their owner, by building a pen/barn, having other animals (ie carnos, rexes etc) for protection, or using plant x or turrets to destroy threats before they get too close.

3. It may be a change that came about with the introduction of the passive flee mechanic, which did not exist until recently. Or you just got lucky, I regularly see abandoned/lost birds in the sky on the official I play on.

Hey man I may be kinda late but if you message GigDepeche on Xbox I will give you any info you may need i'll also help you with breeding and P v P tips. It is best to find friends fast because those who are not your friends even in the P v E section they are your enemies. Oh also if you make a small pen and enable wander your dino's should feed them self's, Or at least reduce the amount of food they need. 

1 hour ago, gigistheboi said:

Oh also if you make a small pen and enable wander your dino's should feed them self's, Or at least reduce the amount of food they need. 

Fake news. Never heard of this being true. I know they feed themselves without being on wander. Reducing food not tested but don't believe it's true.

@Myrm If you don't know already being able to whistle tames from a distance is helpful if they are out of reach. But sometimes still too far. Using a spyglass if you look at the tame through spyglass and use whistle it will extend the whistle's range. Can be very helpful from time to time. 

On 4/3/2018 at 9:21 AM, SirPeter said:

Fake news. Never heard of this being true. I know they feed themselves without being on wander. Reducing food not tested but don't believe it's true.

@Myrm If you don't know already being able to whistle tames from a distance is helpful if they are out of reach. But sometimes still too far. Using a spyglass if you look at the tame through spyglass and use whistle it will extend the whistle's range. Can be very helpful from time to time. 

feed themself's without wander????????????????what????????? and i agree with the spyglass thing.

Archived