Giganotosaurus Tamming Advice

TheMetalMan

So I am planning to tame a giga, it's a level 72 female. I have three main questions.
1. She's on the east side Winter's Mouth,(pictured below) last I flew by she didn't move at all, almost as if she's stuck. What I am wondering if you guys think the mauntain side is too tilted for the metal doorway trick to work? Will she be able to step over them and escape? How tall does something have to be for her to not step over it? Or a suggestion for an area to place the trap on.
2. I've got a Mastercraft rifle with 203% damage, and a Journeyman Crossbow. I've heard that Crossbows are better than using darts because they're faster, but acording to my math, I'd need to fire about 125 Shock darts or 333 arrows to knock her out.
And since I've already got such a powerful rifle would it be more effective to use that instead, I dunno maybe only 75 darts would be needed. I mean, I've knocked out lvl 3 Quetzals with two shots of that thing
3. Which flying mount is the best to lure the giga into the trap? I think I've got all flyers available except Griffin. A Tapejara is more maneuverable but a Argientavis has more health but is slower. Which one is best suited?
What do you guys think? Also general advice for Giga Tamming.
Thank you for your time.

Giga trap.jpg

The only advice I can offer is to watch that torp like a hawk. I took down a lvl 20 I think it was (maybe 10) it was down for literally a minute before it got back up. It took me 45 minutes and over 200 shock darts (granted I am not the very best shot) to get it down, so I was not expecting it to get up that fast.

Giganoto is one of the easiest tames in ark. So here's what you do:

Solo:

Set up lots of large bear traps around -> wait giga to get trapped -> use shokdarts to tranq

Group:

Just shoot it from quetz platform or players around with x-bow.

Tame:

Let torpor to go down and feed enough narcoberries for it to be asleep for the entire tame. 1200 berries = 1h of sleep, don't use narcotic. If torpor reaches maximum, effect of narcoberries stop and it will wake in 5 min.

The way my tribe does it is actually pretty simple. Set up a small box of 3 metal dino gate frames with a large bear trap in the middle. Stand behind them and shoot the giga to piss it off. Giga chases and gets trapped for a few seconds on the trap. While it is stuck, put the 4th metal dino gate behind its feet to lock it in. After just shoot until its down. We live on blue ob near where you found that giga and the mountain is just as steep but the gates still seem to hold it in as long as you find a smoother spot for them. That giga in that picture I can almost bet you is not stuck btw. As soon as you hit it, it will wiggle around and then eat your face. I've been killed many many times before thinking I did not need a trap because it was already stuck. They love trolling you almost as much as titans.

My wife and I just did a 130 giga last week, and we definitely learned a few things. First the trap has to be big enough or the giga will just not go in. With that happening we went for the takedown on our Tapejera, with me flying and her shooting shocking tranq darts from the back seat. Another big lesson is the darts have less range, and unless you see the red flash on your crosshairs you are not hitting it. Wasted a craplaod of darts on our first attempt. Getting in closer was what was needed and it takes some careful flying and you are going to still take some hits. Much of the takedown was spent with both us and our bird at 1/3 health. We did take it down though. I am not sure how well this will work for others, as we sort of have an advantage as I was able to watch by my screen and my wifes to be able to get the best position to get solid hits.

1. this side of the mountain is to tilted for the metall doorway trick. otherwise that giga will step over. you need to build at least 4 walls high.

2. you got a decent rifle. it is your choise how you do this. when you have enough metal, do the darts, if not use arrows.

3. my preferred dino for Hot Giga Taming is by far the argentavis, simply because of the healthpool. you can take 2 or 3 bites.

14 hours ago, BEBBO said:

1. this side of the mountain is to tilted for the metall doorway trick. otherwise that giga will step over. you need to build at least 4 walls high.

2. you got a decent rifle. it is your choise how you do this. when you have enough metal, do the darts, if not use arrows.

3. my preferred dino for Hot Giga Taming is by far the argentavis, simply because of the healthpool. you can take 2 or 3 bites.

Solid advice, thanks mate.

I think I'll make a metal gate trap, with wood gates fanning out to make her enter the trap. A Ankylo in front of it lure it in, with a few large bear traps in the trap. Then close the trap.

I do however consider that she might actually be stuck, since she hasn't moved since she spawned. Should I try to tanq her before I get her down from the mountain? Is it worth a try?

An Ankylo is no good choise. The large Bear Trap will trigger on your Dino.

when you try this on land then take a fast mount (Sabertooth) with at least more then 3k HP to absorb 1 or 2 bites. Keep in Mind the Giga is way faster than you think and do not walk with your Dino in your own Bear Trap.

Tranq the Giga while you get it down? probably not a good idea. Focus on the trap, then you can knock it out savely.

10 hours ago, BEBBO said:

An Ankylo is no good choise. The large Bear Trap will trigger on your Dino.

when you try this on land then take a fast mount (Sabertooth) with at least more then 3k HP to absorb 1 or 2 bites. Keep in Mind the Giga is way faster than you think and do not walk with your Dino in your own Bear Trap.

Tranq the Giga while you get it down? probably not a good idea. Focus on the trap, then you can knock it out savely.

Well no, not like that I meant like the picture below. Once she is inside and the beartraps are shut I close the trap with another metal gate.

And I was wondering since she hasn't moved a inch since she spawned(I play local and reset the wild dinos) I was thinking she might be stuck on a rock or something. I don't know how it works, so I figured I could set up the trap and then hit her once with a tranq and see if she moves. If she moves, I'll lead her to the trap, is she doesn't, I think I could continue to fire. Is that worth a try?

Goga Trap plan.png

My advice is not to bother. Giga rage meters make them nothing more than an oversized ornament to sit pretty in your base.

Plus the amount of food they consume to stay alive after being tamed is really not worth the effort to tame it.

Plus the torpor on them bugs out and narcotics have no effect half the time.

Honestly more trouble than they are worth. Just like most stuff in this game.

3 minutes ago, Jacira said:

My advice is not to bother. Giga rage meters make them nothing more than an oversized ornament to sit pretty in your base.

Plus the amount of food they consume to stay alive after being tamed is really not worth the effort to tame it.

Plus the torpor on them bugs out and narcotics have no effect half the time.

Honestly more trouble than they are worth. Just like most stuff in this game.

Damage and meatruns are a lot more then any other Dino who gives a raptor about rage bars when the damn thing does so much damage it doesn't even matter and gathers so much more meat than any other Dino and u say it's not worth it maybe you should hop on official one day lol

1 minute ago, Deadgiga said:

Damage and meatruns are a lot more then any other Dino who gives a raptor about rage bars when the damn thing does so much damage it doesn't even matter and gathers so much more meat than any other Dino and u say it's not worth it maybe you should hop on official one day lol

And maybe you should stop making assumptions on topics you have no clue about. It really makes an ass of u and me.

High dmg Theriz with power levels get just as much if not more meat than a giga. Theriz can also be carried around by wyverns to all the hot meat spots so is quicker to transport than a giga with it's crappy 400 stamina, and is also now safer since Theriz don't eat you if they get a splinter in their foot.

And finally to your last point... Who cares about having so much damage on a giga if the thing can't even take a couple of hits? Really? What's the point in being able to do that amount of damage if it cannot stand to take a bit of damage back? With something that can easily have 30k base hp, it is literally now just a glass cannon if it tries to take on something worth doing that amount of damage too.

14 hours ago, TheMetalMan said:

Well no, not like that I meant like the picture below. Once she is inside and the beartraps are shut I close the trap with another metal gate.

And I was wondering since she hasn't moved a inch since she spawned(I play local and reset the wild dinos) I was thinking she might be stuck on a rock or something. I don't know how it works, so I figured I could set up the trap and then hit her once with a tranq and see if she moves. If she moves, I'll lead her to the trap, is she doesn't, I think I could continue to fire. Is that worth a try?

Goga Trap plan.png

Now, i know what you mean. This is the way how you tame a Giga.

And be prepared, the last time i tamed a Giga is consumed a ton of Narcotics. We are talking about 10k !!!! on a lvl 80.

i pumped all the Narcotics in and almost no effect on the torpor bar. the end result was, i tamed it and after the tame the Torpor was rising and felt asleep almost twice.

The Torpor however seems to be bugged, and for me it worked better to use tranq arrows and shot the Giga while he is down.

That tame was on an official server.

8 hours ago, BEBBO said:

Now, i know what you mean. This is the way how you tame a Giga.

I wanted everyone to know I was successful in my attempt. You where right Bebbo she was not stuck I guess she just didn't have anywhere to be at the moment.

I gave her a bite in the tail and she followed me into the trap no problem and I managed to close it off.(However I should've placed the ankylo a bit further away to draw her closer to the bear traps) However on my first time she glitched out, I play on local so I simply reloaded a save before I tried(If the game cheats I'll cheat too, that's fair game).

I knocked her out with Shock darts and held her starved until I fed her kibble(I use a 3x tamming so it only took half an hour).

It was an extremely nervous tame but in the end she is mine.

Thank you to all who commented, ya'll beautiful people and god bless.

22 hours ago, Jacira said:

My advice is not to bother.

As for you, I mostly tamed her since Ark has become a bit of a collectaton for me, catch them all, am I right?

Besides, people have been insisting on the Scorched Earth Forums they're great for killing Alpha Death Worms.

(P.S. I named her Demona)

Demona.jpg

Archived