Will clusters merge down the road, or Legacy die off?

Sphere

12 hours ago, ranger1presents said:

That's a very interesting (if totally baseless) theory you've cooked up.  Perhaps you could flesh it out a bit and give us the quotes that you based this on, or at the very least give us a plausible theory as to why the company responsible for one of the most popular (and profitable) games on Steam would suddenly stop creating the comparatively simple (and even more profitable) DLC for said game.

His first theory is reasonable. The second theory, 'baseless'.

Been looking at people talking about Legacy being full of duped items. Well not really. You see, a bunch of people have given up on legacy and moved over to new. Not only that, there are people claiming that the new servers are being duped on. If this is true, then wouldn't eventually both legacy and new be around about the same deal? At that point, won't there be no point in just closing down the last few servers, other than to just close them down because of a word?

My personal opinion is that in the short term legacy servers will still be viable, but in the long term they will die off and all be removed.

People will want to play with friends on the new servers, leave the game, or just decide to start fresh on the new ones... this means the population on these servers will continue to drop and wildcard will continue to retire these servers and use the machines for new ones for either current or future content like dlc's.

I mean at this point there is little incentive to stay on the legacy servers outside of keeping all your previous work, but the longer you stay on them the more you lose out on in time invested. I guess i would be very skeptical in staying on them and investing more time just to have it ultimately shutdown.. so instead of losing 5 months of work to move to regular servers now you would also lose that 5 months + whatever time you invested until it was shutdown. Just makes more sense to start over now and get build back up.

17 hours ago, Nokosa said:

I love how everyone in this thread is psychic. Everyone here sees the future.

The reality is no one but Wildcard knows what will happen with Legacy, and even they most likely don't know. 

My two legacy servers are still going. My island server is dwindling, but there are still a few active players hangin' in there.

My Rag server is poppin'. 

The delusion that you have customer support anywhere in this game is just that; a delusion. 

There are tickets that are already weeks, if not a month or more, old on the new cluster that have gone unanswered.

And they'll continue to go unanswered just as they did during early access... because Wildcard customer support is a joke. And, just like all jokes, it gets old after hearing it over and over again. 

Customer support isn't the reason everyone switched to the new cluster. The way Wildcard handled the launch is why everyone fled, just as they knew the players would, after flat out, bold-faced lying to its community, and throwing around the delete button on servers never listed. After flat out, bold-faced lying about not closing or wiping a single server during early access no one that left trusted them afterwards.

I don't trust them.

Neither should you.

But I will continue to play on the two servers that I, my wife, and the friends that I have made on those servers, have invested thousands of hours on, until the day they decide to close us down for good. The new servers will still be there if I decide to move. 

Legacy servers aren't grasshoppers. They're family members of Wildcard stuck in a coma at a hospital with Wildcard breathing down their necks. They're just waiting to pull the plug... even if we don't consent. 

You're correct. No one knows what will happen. It's all predictions and best guesses based on available data. That's how analysis works. It's not always 100% accurate, but using prior data and patterns to predict future events isn't witchcraft or paranormal fortune telling, it's a viable, valuable, and valid process. Being critical of an analysis is equally important. It's helpful to know how to differentiate the good analyses from the junk analyses, and there are methods that will help you weed out the junk. For example, if an analysis is dense with vitriol, hyperbole, insults, and/or histrionics, it's probably a junk analysis based more on emotion than data. 

That all said, I like your hospital analogy. Is Wildcard excitedly waiting to pull the plug on Legacy servers? I certainly hope so...they're riddled with terminal diseases and the only reason they've been on life support as long as they have been is because people don't know when to let go.

Archived