Single player seems more optimized.

Ganelon

It's been awhile since I started a single player local game. I usually play on a dedicated unofficial server I built for friends.

My first experience with Ark led me to steam refund, as it was such a beast to even start(I only have 4gb ram... stop laughing). Later, once I bumped my ram/cpu... I rebought it and it was playable, but stuttered quite a bit. I found that much of the issue was in running a local game, as most of the gameplay jitters would be gone on servers. So, I rented a server for a month or two... then built my own. All good.

Well, my server needs a cooling upgrade... so to get my fix I started a fresh Rag map game on my local. Even after 4 hours of dino spawns, it was still smooth as glass. As this all happened after the last patch, I am thinking this was a first wave of optimizations in effect. If so... I am very pleased.

Currently running 6300 FX, 16 GB ram, SSD, and GTX 960

Has anyone else noticed this?

Of course singleplayer is much smoother, when you alone play its only you on that "server" and no one else. Your PC have less to deal with.

When you play on a official server or other server that is connected to internet,network, load, download, other players interact with the server will cause the performance to be lower.

I can run this game on epic settings on singleplayer with no problem, but when i am playing on a online server it demands more. And its logic it will.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:15 PM, iStephano said:

Of course singleplayer is much smoother, when you alone play its only you on that "server" and no one else. Your PC have less to deal with.

When you play on a official server or other server that is connected to internet,network, load, download, other players interact with the server will cause the performance to be lower.

I can run this game on epic settings on singleplayer with no problem, but when i am playing on a online server it demands more. And its logic it will.

Actually the opposite is true. The extra work the computer has to do when running a server in the background vastly outweighs the extra work it has to do to display other characters on screen and their dinos and Creations. Although the Gap make close significantly when doing large base raids Etc.

Well, actually... the local single player used to be much more of a whip, as the local game had to spawn and control all the dinos... whereas the online servers would handle all the AI stuff and none of the rendering. I abandoned local single player cuz it was just too jittery as the dino spawns increased. Now, I played all weekend on Rags and it has been smooth as glass the whole time... even as I traveled the map and generated spawns. I'm thinking they optimized the SP CPU use with regards to active Dinos based on where I am active.

I have experience some of the spawning bugs, though. Way too many Pteres...but, subsequent sessions have given me a good balance of other spawns, so I do not feel the need to destroywilds... yet.

Archived