Tamed dino speed nerf?

Klakky

12 hours ago, LilNastyGurl said:

With their stride they outsped most dinos with their sprint to the point of absurdity.

Tamed Raptors, Carnos, Terror Birds, Sabers, Direwolves, Allosaurs and a bunch of other mounts were just no match for the Rex's stride and +5% speed per level.

That said, things like terror birds also got a speed nerf 

Not sure if the base speed was changed on the rex or not, but its starting % of the base is now 90%. 100% imprint gets 110% speed, and 1.1% per level.

So if you were to put every single level(71) into speed, the max on a rex now is 188.1%.

1.1% is just too low... i feel they should have just put a cap on speed and left the % per level alone.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:45 AM, Klakky said:

I have a rex I use often to get meat quickly to feed my babies, I noticed this morning it's speed went from 290% to 121%!!!!

That is a HUGE nerf!! so what happens to all those points wasted in the speed? what happens to the parents that were bred for speed? this dino has good hp/melee stats with 290% speed, or should I say IT HAD 290% SPEED!!

I guess I better take my rex out back seeing as how useless it is to me now with its bigest attribute almost to a 0% why this silent nerf?!?!?

check your 259 patch notes on steam, this website or the wiki. The notes state there was a land dino speed change. Anyway, it does sound like the sad stories told from flyer breeders and speed hornets and the like long ago.

It eventually was going to happen when you think about it now. All that no taming server testing I think contributed to this change.

2 hours ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

Not sure if the base speed was changed on the rex or not, but its starting % of the base is now 90%. 100% imprint gets 110% speed, and 1.1% per level.

So if you were to put every single level(71) into speed, the max on a rex now is 188.1%.

1.1% is just too low... i feel they should have just put a cap on speed and left the % per level alone.

id almost agree with you about the cap. except this only favors players that have already put points into speed. For players starting out or beginning to put points into speed, they decided to lower the increments per level for the purpose of balancing out the game for the future. I'm sure its not what everyone wanted, but to WC it was a necessary change for a game not fully released yet.

38 minutes ago, ArkCreation said:

id almost agree with you about the cap. except this only favors players that have already put points into speed. For players starting out or beginning to put points into speed, they decided to lower the increments per level for the purpose of balancing out the game for the future. I'm sure its not what everyone wanted, but to WC it was a necessary change for a game not fully released yet.

It does affect future players as well, it pretty much makes movement speed a worthless stat. why would anyone ever waste points in speed for a 1.1% gain?

I haven't done any testing, but I'd be surprised if putting points into speed could compare with putting points into stam for the distance you can cover in a given amount of time.

44 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

It does affect future players as well, it pretty much makes movement speed a worthless stat. why would anyone ever waste points in speed for a 1.1% gain?

I haven't done any testing, but I'd be surprised if putting points into speed could compare with putting points into stam for the distance you can cover in a given amount of time.

its 1% increase of after tame speed for all dinos. Non-imprinted Rex (freshly tamed) will get 0.9% per point.

1 hour ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

It's simple, on a mount like a rex, you don't without heavily investing in it and sacrificing more important stats like melee, hp, even stamina.  On other mounts intended to fill a scouting or light transport role like horses they gain 2.1% per level so they can afford to become faster without as much sacrifice in other stats, but is balanced by them being ill equiped for direct combat

2 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

its 1% increase of after tame speed for all dinos. Non-imprinted Rex (freshly tamed) will get 0.9% per point.

I 100% imprinted a rex today, and it got 1.1% (went from 110% to 111.1%)

though somehow it doesn't surprise me that un-imprinted gets less..i am surprised we still get the "20%" imprint boost though.

38 minutes ago, Gilgamesh908 said:

It's simple, on a mount like a rex, you don't without heavily investing in it and sacrificing more important stats like melee, hp, even stamina.  On other mounts intended to fill a scouting or light transport role like horses they gain 2.1% per level so they can afford to become faster without as much sacrifice in other stats, but is balanced by them being ill equiped for direct combat

So its ok to make the speed stat on an end game dino worthless because that somehow makes a beginning/mid game dino better?

the eqqus base speed is lower than a rex anyway...if they really wanted it to be faster, they could have upped the base.

I suspect the intention of these speed nerfs is to make it impossible to have extremely fast dinos, but they again went way overboard and missed the mark.

All that this speed nerf does is add to the time sink of getting around. If you want to take a rex out to level it, it'll just take that much longer now to get explorer notes and find/kill alphas :(

There has to be a better way to achieve balance without making a whole attribute worthless on most dinos, and without adding to the grind fest that ark has become.

46 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

I 100% imprinted a rex today, and it got 1.1% (went from 110% to 111.1%)

though somehow it doesn't surprise me that un-imprinted gets less..i am surprised we still get the "20%" imprint boost though.

So its ok to make the speed stat on an end game dino worthless because that somehow makes a beginning/mid game dino better?

the eqqus base speed is lower than a rex anyway...if they really wanted it to be faster, they could have upped the base.

I suspect the intention of these speed nerfs is to make it impossible to have extremely fast dinos, but they again went way overboard and missed the mark.

All that this speed nerf does is add to the time sink of getting around. If you want to take a rex out to level it, it'll just take that much longer now to get explorer notes and find/kill alphas :(

There has to be a better way to achieve balance without making a whole attribute worthless on most dinos, and without adding to the grind fest that ark has become.

Yes, it's good that they reduced the speed of a rex.  It never made sense that such a powerhouse and staple of a dino was also faster than carnos and raptors.  

Also "time sink" is starting to become one of those buzz words in these forums that people just throw around willy nilly not really understanding what the real concept of time sink really is.  Movespeed and movement abilities in every game ever is always one of the most powerful stats.  It trivializes gameplay, mechanics, and bypasses meaningful interactions with both players and environment in games with too easy access to instant or rapid movement.  League of Legends in the past had similar issues and has been doing damage control to bring the reigns in the years since.  Ark is no different.

16 minutes ago, Gilgamesh908 said:

Yes, it's good that they reduced the speed of a rex.  It never made sense that such a powerhouse and staple of a dino was also faster than carnos and raptors.  

Also "time sink" is starting to become one of those buzz words in these forums that people just throw around willy nilly not really understanding what the real concept of time sink really is.  Movespeed and movement abilities in every game ever is always one of the most powerful stats.  It trivializes gameplay, mechanics, and bypasses meaningful interactions with both players and environment in games with too easy access to instant or rapid movement.  League of Legends in the past had similar issues and has been doing damage control to bring the reigns in the years since.  Ark is no different.

then they could have increased the base speed on carnos and raptors!

the rex was not a fast dino to begin with, and it is definitely a time sink...no "willy nilly" about it.

in no way does the rexes move speed trivialize gameplay,mechanics or bypass meaningful anything that it couldn't do already because its a $%^# rex!

god, this feels like the silly flyer nerf arguments all over again...what was the assumed reasoning for the flyer nerf again? oh yea, to make land dinos more relevant....land dinos that are now (mostly) also nerfed.

To be fair, I'm sure there's a very small amount of people who put ridiculous amounts of points into speed on some dinos. nerfing it to this extent and punishing everyone for the sake of those few was the wrong decision. just like it was for the flier nerf.

5 minutes ago, SingleSidedPCB said:

then they could have increased the base speed on carnos and raptors!

the rex was not a fast dino to begin with, and it is definitely a time sink...no "willy nilly" about it.

in no way does the rexes move speed trivialize gameplay,mechanics or bypass meaningful anything that it couldn't do already because its a $%^# rex!

god, this feels like the silly flyer nerf arguments all over again...what was the assumed reasoning for the flyer nerf again? oh yea, to make land dinos more relevant....land dinos that are now (mostly) also nerfed.

To be fair, I'm sure there's a very small amount of people who put ridiculous amounts of points into speed on some dinos. nerfing it to this extent and punishing everyone for the sake of those few was the wrong decision. just like it was for the flier nerf.

They did in fact also increase the base speed of both carnos and raptors in addition to nerfing the speed of rexes, that's how disproportionate the gap was previously that they couldn't just do one or the other to fix it, and even still the two smaller animals just barely edge out the rex now.  A time sink is when uninteractive gameplay is introduced just to keep you in game but not really accomplishing much.  Traveling does not fall into this category as travel involves lots of encountering and decision making along the way (at least land mounts do, flyers less so) in dealing with terrain, wild dinos, and other player structures and is therefore a meaningful game interaction if done right (which is why flyers got nerfed harder than land dinos).  An example of proper time sink mechanics would be the current iteration of knock out taming where it's literally sit there and mindlessly spam narcotics for hours until it's ready to eat enough food.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh908 said:

They did in fact also increase the base speed of both carnos and raptors in addition to nerfing the speed of rexes, that's how disproportionate the gap was previously that they couldn't just do one or the other to fix it, and even still the two smaller animals just barely edge out the rex now.  A time sink is when uninteractive gameplay is introduced just to keep you in game but not really accomplishing much.  Traveling does not fall into this category as travel involves lots of encountering and decision making along the way (at least land mounts do, flyers less so) in dealing with terrain, wild dinos, and other player structures and is therefore a meaningful game interaction if done right (which is why flyers got nerfed harder than land dinos).  An example of proper time sink mechanics would be the current iteration of knock out taming where it's literally sit there and mindlessly spam narcotics for hours until it's ready to eat enough food.

we wont know exactly what they changed on all dinos until the dev kit is updated and someone extracts the base speeds then updates the wiki.

we also don't know what exactly they were trying to achieve with their "re balancing dino speeds", as they never stated such.

interactivity has little to do with what is or isn't a time sink, wikipedia has a nice page describing a time sink.

the taming mechanics are definitely a prime example of a time sink though. at least we can agree on something ;)

Leveling high end dinos is about as equally tedious to taming. they took away soups from dinos (no more broth of enlightenment), nerfed xp from alpha dinos down to 45% of what it used to be, nerfed flyers so now it takes more time to scout for alpha dinos, and now they have nerfed most land dinos so it takes longer to get to alphas to kill them. how much time to do something in a game is too much time? i feel like wildcard crossed that line awhile ago...

Archived