Changes to Pillar Structure Decay!

Jatheish

Of course, like before, I've been called a conspiracy theorist. Adding servers needs money, which they are more than happy to cheap out on. For example, remember when they limited the tames on PVE servers to 500? We just split up the tribes. Did nothing for their precious "dino cap". This is the "economic" option. No money for new servers...so they are gonna shove us together into a squalid, overcrowded ghetto and call it a day. Someone please write to PCGamer about what idiots these devs are. 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be caves/rich resource build block as well as structures per zone demolish timer, for example if i have 3x3 base this is probably a real player, same if on some spot there's more then 1 single pillar/foundation which means someone actually tried to build there something, but if on 30x30 base space/zone there's 1 pillar/foundation/foundation+wall etc this is when the 12h demolish timer should be activated and not the way you made it.

cave.jpg

rich.jpg

zone.jpg

@Jat @Jen I know you guys have been dealing with the issue of Pillars on PVE servers for quite a while now. Unfortunately it is a serious issue with no real clear fix. However, you guys seem to bounce back and forth from the pillars hurting spawns to pillars not hurting spawns result.

I've thought over the issue for the last year now and honestly, the best result I found was this.

You give each player -- connected to their steam account ID -- 1, 2 or 3 radials of control (Number of them and their range is arbitrary here and based on your balance). What this means is the player places the area of control on the ground like an anchor foundation. That then gives that player a max range from that center to build with no limitations on Z scale (Where the standard height limitation continues). Giving them these limitations would prevent 2-3 players from pillaring the entire map. Size could be 2 or 3 times the size of the field in which another player structure prevents your building. The point is, it would be absolutely massive but would still prevent a player from dotting the map and would introduce a new challenge in the game of deciding how to use their areas to build.

Now, I was that player who built the entire bridge network across the Center on Official 597. This would destroy all the work I did so I have the most to lose. However, I would gladly sacrifice that work (since it's just a game anyway) if it meant this fix to a long running issue on PVE official.

As for the mechanics of the anchor point, If they were to say move the radial of control or remove it entirely, anything now outside of that range would encounter decay timer that can't be refreshed. How this would work is a reversed design with how radial restrictions apply when building near another player's foundation or pillar.

Again, you guys do great work but sometimes these solutions are treated more in the binary sense when there needs to be a sense of thinking outside the box. (No pun intended).

Thanks again,

Brian

4 minutes ago, Darkintellect said:

@Jat I know you guys have been dealing with the issue of Pillars on PVE servers for quite a while now. Unfortunately it is a serious issue with no real clear fix. However, you guys seem to bounce back and forth from the pillars hurting spawns to pillars not hurting spawns result.

I've thought over the issue for the last year now and honestly, the best result I found was this.

You give each player -- connected to their steam account ID -- 1, 2 or 3 radials of control (Number of them and their range is arbitrary here and based on your balance). What this means is the player places the area of control on the ground like an anchor foundation. That then gives that player a max range from that center to build with no limitations on Z scale (Where the standard height limitation continues). Giving them these limitations would prevent 2-3 players from pillaring the entire map. Size could be 2 or 3 times the size of the field in which another player structure prevents your building. The point is, it would be absolutely massive but would still prevent a player from dotting the map and would introduce a new challenge in the game of deciding how to use their areas to build.

Now, I was that player who built the entire bridge network across the Center on Official 597. This would destroy all the work I did so I have the most to lose. However, I would gladly sacrifice that work (since it's just a game anyway) if it meant this fix to a long running issue on PVE official.

As for the mechanics of the anchor point, If they were to say move the radial of control or remove it entirely, anything now outside of that range would encounter decay timer that can't be refreshed. How this would work is a reversed design with how radial restrictions apply when building near another player's foundation or pillar.

Again, you guys do great work but sometimes these solutions are treated more in the binary sense when there needs to be a sense of thinking outside the box. (No pun intended).

Thanks again,

Brian

Actually this wouldn't address the problem of Stopping ppl from claiming resource nodes and killing dino spawns. The only real solution is to assign moderators to the servers since the issue of land claims is actually subjective. Or make more servers so ppl can have more space..but that would mean you can no longer cheap out. 

6 minutes ago, TheLordTailfin said:

Actually this wouldn't address the problem of Stopping ppl from claiming resource nodes and killing dino spawns. The only real solution is to assign moderators to the servers since the issue of land claims is actually subjective. Or make more servers so ppl can have more space..but that would mean you can no longer cheap out. 

Dino spawns won't be affected nearly as much as in volume the player would have less of an effect. As for resource nodes, players will do that anyway the point is, with the radials of control, it drastically reduces the number of areas in which resource nodes exist. There just isnt enough players to effect that many areas.

Asking for moderators which you have to now pay, to monitor 100s of PVE servers is not only unrealistic, from a production standpoint, it's a waste of capital.

As for more servers, they're working with limited resources here. That again costs money and manpower. This issue is the most logical fix without drawing on capital/investment is the radial of influence and does so within the mechanics already placed into the game.

2 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

Imho more servers is the only solution, because the underlying reason for all the tears is that the first ppl who join a fresh server are those who get the nicest spots, what makes other players who come later pretty upset...

3 servers per region and 1 for OC is VERY pathetic

Which I agree to as there should be more than the allotted number we currently have. However that still won't fix the primary issue. This is why I decided on the best fix for the issue is the radials of control.

Just now, Darkintellect said:

Which I agree to as there should be more than the allotted number we currently have. However that still won't fix the primary issue. This is why I decided on the best fix for the issue is the radials of control.

Its too late to implement such a complex mechanic. I get what youre saying, it works like that in reign of kings, and it works good, but ye... too late now.

The pillar stuff was actually fine it was before imho... it was a self-regularing thing, there been a couple idiots doing poop with the pillars, yes, but it wasnt like it was a MAJOR problem... 

with the new change the devs MAKE it a major problem again...

3 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

Its too late to implement such a complex mechanic. I get what youre saying, it works like that in reign of kings, and it works good, but ye... too late now.

The pillar stuff was actually fine it was before imho... it was a self-regularing thing, there been a couple idiots doing poop with the pillars, yes, but it wasnt like it was a MAJOR problem... 

with the new change the devs MAKE it a major problem again...

Not a complex mechanic as it's already in the game. It's only a matter of keypoint attribution. You could make it a mod in a few hours. It isn't one though because it serves no real purpose in the single player game and barely on unofficial servers.

The issue with pillars is it in itself is almost as bad, the only problem is it's generally regarded more favorably because people have gotten used to it. That doesn't mean it's good when there are a few methods which are much closer to the considered fix.

12 minutes ago, Darkintellect said:

Not a complex mechanic as it's already in the game. It's only a matter of keypoint attribution. You could make it a mod in a few hours. It isn't one though because it serves no real purpose in the single player game and barely on unofficial servers.

The issue with pillars is it in itself is almost as bad, the only problem is it's generally regarded more favorably because people have gotten used to it. That doesn't mean it's good when there are a few methods which are much closer to the considered fix.

Ah yeee... like the outbreaking volcano on Ragna is actually working pretty fine and the devs couldnt implement it on island servers?
I gues you trust them too much regarding their competence regarding changing the game or implementing new stuff...

3 minutes ago, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

Ah yeee... like the outbreaking volcano on Ragna is actually working pretty fine and the devs couldnt implement it on island servers?
I gues you trust them too much regarding their competence regarding changing the game or implementing new stuff...

If you understand how Unreal 4 works, this is apples and oranges in comparison. In that what I'm proposing is far, far easier with a simple change of a few numbers and attribution (already in the game) to an already in game item, compared to the volcano which is a serious design dynamic.

1 minute ago, Darkintellect said:

If you understand how Unreal 4 works, this is apples and oranges in comparison. In that what I'm proposing is far, far easier with a simple change of a few numbers and attribution (already in the game) to an already in game item than the volcano which is a serious design dynamic.

ok, then do a mod and show me... until... lets say sunday evening?

5 minutes ago, Darkintellect said:

If you understand how Unreal 4 works, this is apples and oranges in comparison. In that what I'm proposing is far, far easier with a simple change of a few numbers and attribution (already in the game) to an already in game item, compared to the volcano which is a serious design dynamic.

takes too much time and effort for something they don't care about...fastest way is to just reduce timers and you're done. It's what they always do (look at structure limits, no build zones around air drops, tribe limit, and so on..just the simple and fast solutions without any further thinking)

They need their resources for unicorns, rainbows and more haircuts!

Just now, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

ok, then do a mod and show me... until... lets say sunday evening?

By then I should hope we already have the long standing issue resolved. 

Basically put, the Yuty dino roar and buff is more difficult to implement than a simple number reverse on a field dynamic and attributing it to a new item or old on already in game.

Just now, Godan said:

takes too much time and effort for something they don't care about...fastest way is to just reduce timers and you're done. It's what they always do (look at structure limits, no build zones around air drops, tribe limit, and so on..just the simple and fast solutions without any further thinking)

Reduce it to what, what does it end up applying to? Does it apply to single pillars, double pillars, foundation and pillar, fence foundation with pillar? Are you seeing the issue here? It comes to what you decide the decay is based on how many items are applied in a connected range. You get to the point where players will build a thousand houses around the map if it meant taking the area. Getting the resources to do that would be easy, especially with a tribe.

You also destroy the early building mechanic of the game. 

You say the no build zones, air drops etc are simple solutions, you do understand my change is about as easy as implementing all of those. THis isn't as difficult as something like introducing a dino.

1 minute ago, Darkintellect said:

Reduce it to what, what does it end up applying to? Does it apply to single pillars, double pillars, foundation and pillar, fence foundation with pillar? Are you seeing the issue here? It comes to what you decide the decay is based on how many items are applied in a connected range. You get to the point where players will build a thousand houses around the map if it meant taking the area. Getting the resources to do that would be easy, especially with a tribe.

You also destroy the early building mechanic of the game. 

You say the no build zones, air drops etc are simple solutions, you do understand my change is about as easy as implementing all of those. THis isn't as difficult as something like introducing a dino.

what?

You didn't get what I was trying to say ;) Simply reducing the timers to 12 hours is THEIR way of fixing it.

7 minutes ago, Darkintellect said:

By then I should hope we already have the long standing issue resolved. 

Basically put, the Yuty dino roar and buff is more difficult to implement than a simple number reverse on a field dynamic and attributing it to a new item or old on already in game.

So thats a no? Then what? Devs wont implement it, ppl like you saying "thats a case of clapping hands twice and its done" also refuse to proof their points... so ye... dream on, it wont be solved.

Just now, Godan said:

what?

You didn't get what I was trying to say ;) Simply reducing the timers to 12 hours is THEIR way of fixing it.

Doesn't change anything since players are building using a fence foundation + pillar. The change won't effect those. That's how most of them are. If you reduce the timer, what does the shortened timer apply to? Just a pillar? Pillars in general?

Just now, methylphenidathydrochlorid said:

So thats a no? Then what? Devs wont implement it. pll like you saying "thats a case of clapping hands twice and its done" also refuse to proof their points... so ye... dream on, it wont be solved.

That's a yes but this problem will likely get resolved before then. Also, now you've moved on to attacking me and the idea. That doesn't help and generally disregards anything you've said up to this point.

Archived