Riot armor

Kurbbie

58 minutes ago, Bramboxc123 said:

Tell that to a knight. Those guys didnt mess around. And they didnt get knocked out by a wooden stick either. 

Have you seen the balistic tests against warhammers?

You could swing a warhammer a lot harder than a club and it's steel. And still wouldn't penetrate the helmet.

A joust would give you wiplash but glance off your helmet and you could still dismount and kill the guy after such a blow as often happened.

You think hitting a guy with a tree trunk at 30mph right in the head is a little harder than hitting him with a stick?

Put on any kind of helmet and let someone take a swing at your head with a baseball bat. Let me know how that works out for you.

Something doesn't have to penetrate your helmet in order to knock you unconscious. It just has to deliver enough force to knock your brain around. 

Another favorite was a war hammer or another blunt object like a mace or a flail. The entire idea was to deal concussive damage as opposed to cutting. You bring a mace down on someone’s melon, boom. Concussion. Finish at your pleasure.

"The specific technique of holding the sword by the blade and striking with the pommel is called mordhau, or 'murder-stroke'; a good bash on the helmet with the pommel is going to get the other man's head ringing."

So yeah, helmets shouldn't make people completely immune to clubs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, GobboKirk said:

Isn't this really just as much a club problem as a riot armor problem?

Not that I see any issue with having it in the 70s range or 80 for that matter.

It is a club problem, we're only focusing on riot because this is the most recent club buff wildcard has put out.

They constantly increase club effectiveness. Id like to go back to before clubs triggered instant torpor but that seems unlikely at this point.

Reality is wildcard's end game goal is coin toss pvp where gear and skill are irrelevant.

All helmets should reduce club effectiveness. Have none of you ever been hit in the head while wearing a helmet?

Flak for example is a hard shell of metal with an inner lining of leather connected with fibers. The leather would be thick like an early 1900s football helmet, and when hit the shell protects from fractured skull while the leather compresses to slow down the impact before force connects with the head.

That absolutely would be protection from impacts to the head.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, Bramboxc123 said:

Why dont you all complain about how a helmet (even flak) doesnt just make the club 100% useless.

I mean this.

Why the f--- were those knights all wearing that heavy A-- plate mail.

Didnt some fool warn them about naked savages with clubs?

While we are at it we better save the NFL some money. All their helmets are causing concusions.

Flak should protect against clubs and tranq arrows.

Riot should protect against Electric prods and tranq darts.

Because those knights and football players aren't videogame characters?

3 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

If some strong dude (300% melee) hit you on the head with a club when you was wearing a helmet it would still hurt like hell

Yes and maybe hurt your neck. It would likely daze you but you would be definitely much more protected than without a helmet.

Also I said this in another topic, but I will repeat again: The reason why clubs seem so strong is, in this game, IT DOESNT MATTER if you hit them in the head, it still applies full torpor. So I could KO someone by hitting his fully metal-plated shin (and metal grieves will definitely protect against a blunt hit from a primitive club IRL). They should make it so that you have to actually smack the head of the enemy to apply torpor at all. Then it would still be effective to the skilled low level player but won't be abused as a terrifying murder stick by trolls and make any armor other that riot pointless.

They could also add a wind-up mechanic, similar to a thrown spear, slingshot, bow etc that makes damage and torpor scale with the duration of the charge. This would turn the club into a stealth sort of weapon where you have to sneak up to a player to perform a takedown and hit him in the noggin and not the spammy sleep dispenser that it is currently.Then you wouldn't have scenarios where a club beats a sword in a 1v1 fight. It would also categorize the electric prod as the most effective instant torpor weapon that it should be.

1 hour ago, x514 said:

All helmets should reduce club effectiveness. Have none of you ever been hit in the head while wearing a helmet?

Flak for example is a hard shell of metal with an inner lining of leather connected with fibers. The leather would be thick like an early 1900s football helmet, and when hit the shell protects from fractured skull while the leather compresses to slow down the impact before force connects with the head.

That absolutely would be protection from impacts to the head.

it would be protections to a degree but your stil going to be knocked out, not dead tho so that's a plus

48 minutes ago, spacejam said:

it would be protections to a degree but your stil going to be knocked out, not dead tho so that's a plus

Helmets do reduce concussive force; that is their primary function.

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

Because those knights and football players aren't videogame characters?

This is a discussion on game balance, and we get a moderator poopposting as a response.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, x514 said:

You didnt point out any differences between ark and reality, you just made a smartass comment that contributed nothing to the game balance discussion.

Yeah, ok. Pointing out that real life knights and football players needing head protection against concussions as opposed to videogame characters not having said protection equivalent due to game design choices doesn't point out a difference. What a world we live in.

1 hour ago, ciabattaroll said:

Yeah, ok. Pointing out that real life knights and football players needing head protection against concussions as opposed to videogame characters not having said protection equivalent due to game design choices doesn't point out a difference. What a world we live in.

You sound more like a 12 year old girl than a professional in community relations. Dont address me as 'yeah, ok.' You probably even rolled your eyes and your twirled your hair.

Go pooppost another thread if you dont understand the concept of game balance.

The club has been completely out of balance for a long time and it now can not be countered until lvl98.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, x514 said:

You sound more like a 12 year old girl than a professional in community relations. Dont address me as 'yeah, ok.' You probably even rolled your eyes and your twirled your hair.

Go pooppost another thread if you dont understand the concept of game balance.

The club has been completely out of balance for a long time and it now can not be countered until lvl98.

Whilst I agree that the club does need changing, that does not change the fact that current game design does not fall in line with people's expectations based on reality. Hence why I pointed out that neither knights nor football players that the guy was pointing out were videogame characters, much less videogame characters in ARK. That you get so offended by such an innocuous statement as "yeah ok" has me concerned for your well being.

5 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

Whilst I agree that the club does need changing, that does not change the fact that current game design does not fall in line with people's expectations based on reality. Hence why I pointed out that neither knights nor football players that the guy was pointing out were videogame characters, much less videogame characters in ARK. That you get so offended by such an innocuous statement as "yeah ok" has me concerned for your well being.

More belittling instead of discussing game balance, stay affected.

I had no idea club fights were such serious business lol. Maybe they should rework the club into 2 different items. A high level melee item for the fighting and to cut down on people just naked knocking people out all the time. Have that starting club to only work against dino's when it comes to the torpor? That way it could still be used to defend yourself from players but it isn't the crazy knock out machine they are now. 

8 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

I didn't know stating facts was considered belittling now.

This is a thread about riot armor. Riot armor is the only effective counter to clubs. You are talking poop about knights and football players, please try to stay on topic.

I should be the new Community Moderator; good fight, wasnt close.

2 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Yes and maybe hurt your neck. It would likely daze you but you would be definitely much more protected than without a helmet.

Also I said this in another topic, but I will repeat again: The reason why clubs seem so strong is, in this game, IT DOESNT MATTER if you hit them in the head, it still applies full torpor. So I could KO someone by hitting his fully metal-plated shin (and metal grieves will definitely protect against a blunt hit from a primitive club IRL). They should make it so that you have to actually smack the head of the enemy to apply torpor at all. Then it would still be effective to the skilled low level player but won't be abused as a terrifying murder stick by trolls and make any armor other that riot pointless.

They could also add a wind-up mechanic, similar to a thrown spear, slingshot, bow etc that makes damage and torpor scale with the duration of the charge. This would turn the club into a stealth sort of weapon where you have to sneak up to a player to perform a takedown and hit him in the noggin and not the spammy sleep dispenser that it is currently.Then you wouldn't have scenarios where a club beats a sword in a 1v1 fight. It would also categorize the electric prod as the most effective instant torpor weapon that it should be.

The charge up attack is probably the best idea for clubs imo, make there attacks do minimal torpor if spammed, but heavy heavy torpor if fully charged, and you are slowed while charged. They could even buff the damage on a fully charged club.

• Volunteer Moderator
24 minutes ago, x514 said:

This is a thread about riot armor. Riot armor is the only effective counter to clubs. You are talking poop about knights and football players, please try to stay on topic.

I should be the new Community Moderator; good fight, wasnt close.

I was responding to someone that was making use of knights and football players wearing helmets to protect themselves from injuries. Please try to keep up with the conversations that you insert yourself into.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, x514 said:

"This is a thread about Riot Armor."

Stay affected little club lady.

Yet the conversation carried to someone talking about helmets worn by knights and football players. I know common sense isn't all that common anymore, but it doesn't take much to follow a conversation, specially when it's a written one like that on this community hub.

Archived