Xbox Play Anywhere

chucksmit

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ElCobrito

In this case it kind of does.  The "Play Anywhere" ability that people are talking about allows an Xbox 1 owner who buys Ark (or any "Play Anywhere" game) to start playing the game on Xbox, then log off, and continue playing where they left off on the Windows 10 version.

Obviously with a purely single player game that should be easy, just a matter of storing the save data in the cloud.  But with Ark the Windows 10 players must be able to access the same servers that host the Xbox 1 games (and obviously vice versa)

Here is a link to Microsoft own site that describes Play Anywhere.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

33 minutes ago, Shaggy2000 said:

@ElCobrito

In this case it kind of does.  The "Play Anywhere" ability that people are talking about allows an Xbox 1 owner who buys Ark (or any "Play Anywhere" game) to start playing the game on Xbox, then log off, and continue playing where they left off on the Windows 10 version.

Obviously with a purely single player game that should be easy, just a matter of storing the save data in the cloud.  But with Ark the Windows 10 players must be able to access the same servers that host the Xbox 1 games (and obviously vice versa)

Here is a link to Microsoft own site that describes Play Anywhere.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

Yes I know what you're talking about, but this is all to see yet. Like I said I wouldn't give it for granted. Hosting an xbox server on a pc should be the easiest thing, though we cannot do that yet. So I doubt crossplay is ever gonna make it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2016 at 1:33 PM, ElCobrito said:

Yes I know what you're talking about, but this is all to see yet. Like I said I wouldn't give it for granted. Hosting an xbox server on a pc should be the easiest thing, though we cannot do that yet. So I doubt crossplay is ever gonna make it.

It has been confirmed by the devs, in many interviews that is is cross play as the windows 10 version and the xbox version will run off the same servers and both are entirely different from the steam version meaning that xbox and windows will be able to play together but not the steam version. 

On 9/28/2016 at 0:05 AM, chucksmit said:

as far as I know, there is no release yet. I've followed as many people as I can on the twitterverse trying to figure out when they will drop it. 

It is implied it will be released in December with the release of the full game but obviously that may very well change lol.

15 hours ago, DeepwaterPie24 said:

It has been confirmed by the devs, in many interviews that is is cross play as the windows 10 version and the xbox version will run off the same servers and both are entirely different from the steam version meaning that xbox and windows will be able to play together but not the steam version. 

Sadly, "Confirmed" doesn't mean anything on a early access. I will believe it when I'll see it, as I don't believe that on december there will be the final release.

And things might change once they see that pc and xbox players cannot live together on the same server. That looks obvious enough for me, and I guess for them too.

The only thing I can reasonably expect is the ability to host xbox servers on a pc. I crave it actually.

On 10/20/2016 at 9:15 AM, ElCobrito said:

Sadly, "Confirmed" doesn't mean anything on a early access. I will believe it when I'll see it, as I don't believe that on december there will be the final release.

And things might change once they see that pc and xbox players cannot live together on the same server. That looks obvious enough for me, and I guess for them too.

The only thing I can reasonably expect is the ability to host xbox servers on a pc. I crave it actually.

How do you think other games on the play anywhere list do it? Games that are already out and working as far as I know... If Microsoft can make it that Minecraft Windows 10 edition can play on the same servers than mobile users then there is something seriously wrong with the fact that a console and a pc cannot run off the same servers. I believe there are other games that use this feature too. (Cannot remember off the top off my head). 

I do realize that things may change and that the December release date may change and understand that as there are a lot more  bugs to fix.As you I do not think they will get a December release date.

But you have your opinion and if you do not think it will work then that is up to you. I believe it. 

On 22/10/2016 at 9:35 PM, DeepwaterPie24 said:

How do you think other games on the play anywhere list do it? Games that are already out and working as far as I know... If Microsoft can make it that Minecraft Windows 10 edition can play on the same servers than mobile users then there is something seriously wrong with the fact that a console and a pc cannot run off the same servers. I believe there are other games that use this feature too. (Cannot remember off the top off my head). 

I do realize that things may change and that the December release date may change and understand that as there are a lot more  bugs to fix.As you I do not think they will get a December release date.

But you have your opinion and if you do not think it will work then that is up to you. I believe it. 

I know other games do it, but in this case you've got 2 different servers, with different patches, with features sometimes coming with a month (or more!) delay. WIthout mentioning the performance difference between pc and xbox.

So I'm doubtful.

19 minutes ago, ElCobrito said:

I know other games do it, but in this case you've got 2 different servers, with different patches, with features sometimes coming with a month (or more!) delay. WIthout mentioning the performance difference between pc and xbox.

So I'm doubtful.

The Windows 10 Ark you get from Play Anywhere is going to be the same version as the xbox one and use the same patches, it isn't running through the Steam version. Steam is the PC version, Play Anywhere on the PC is the xbox version.

1 minute ago, ForsakenOsedax said:

The Windows 10 Ark you get from Play Anywhere is going to be the same version as the xbox one and use the same patches, it isn't running through the Steam version. Steam is the PC version, Play Anywhere on the PC is the xbox version.

Are you sure about this? Is there any official statement?

5 minutes ago, ElCobrito said:

Are you sure about this? Is there any official statement?

Studio Wildcard Co-Creative Director Jesse Rapczack appeared on the Twitch E3 2016 livestream and Xbox Daily livestream to discuss the “Play Anywhere” initiative with ARK: Survival Evolved. The Steam PC version of ARK will continue to exist as its own separate entity. It will remain the lead platform and run its own official and player dedicated servers.

Meanwhile, the Windows 10 PC version of ARK: Survival Evolved will come free with the purchase of the Xbox One edition (and vice versa). The two platforms will share the same servers allowing for players on both PC and Xbox One to play together. Additionally, it will allow players to set up their own dedicated server using a Windows 10 PC to run the game.

Source: http://www.inquisitr.com/3209088/ark-survival-evolved-xbox-play-anywhere-will-support-windows-10-server-hosting/

14 minutes ago, ForsakenOsedax said:

Studio Wildcard Co-Creative Director Jesse Rapczack appeared on the Twitch E3 2016 livestream and Xbox Daily livestream to discuss the “Play Anywhere” initiative with ARK: Survival Evolved. The Steam PC version of ARK will continue to exist as its own separate entity. It will remain the lead platform and run its own official and player dedicated servers.

Meanwhile, the Windows 10 PC version of ARK: Survival Evolved will come free with the purchase of the Xbox One edition (and vice versa). The two platforms will share the same servers allowing for players on both PC and Xbox One to play together. Additionally, it will allow players to set up their own dedicated server using a Windows 10 PC to run the game.

Source: http://www.inquisitr.com/3209088/ark-survival-evolved-xbox-play-anywhere-will-support-windows-10-server-hosting/

There's no mentioning that windows 10 pc and xbox will be locked on the same patch anytime.

I think you keep interpreting WC words, while it only says that you will be able to host and no mention of crossplay. Hosting does not implicitly mean you can crossplay.

23 minutes ago, ElCobrito said:

There's no mentioning that windows 10 pc and xbox will be locked on the same patch anytime.

I think you keep interpreting WC words, while it only says that you will be able to host and no mention of crossplay. Hosting does not implicitly mean you can crossplay.

If you own xbox ark you can play on Windows 10 as you xbox characters but steam is separate. Its not do e yet but thats essentially how it works.  Gears of war works that way already. The patches will be at the same point as xbox it would have to be to work properly. 

1 hour ago, Hornedfrog85 said:

If you own xbox ark you can play on Windows 10 as you xbox characters but steam is separate. Its not do e yet but thats essentially how it works.  Gears of war works that way already. The patches will be at the same point as xbox it would have to be to work properly. 

I like your certainties, on a game that's not even out yet on windows 10 store.

5 hours ago, ElCobrito said:

ummm... look at the red text

5 hours ago, ForsakenOsedax said:

17 hours ago, DeepwaterPie24 said:

ummm... look at the red text

I already read that many months ago. I've yet to read an official statement from WC, statement that instead came on twitter about hosting xbox one servers on pc.

I'd be more than happy to crossplay, anyway it's been six months since that piece of news and we didn't see crossplay nor win10 hosting.

I repeat, I'm glad that you have all those certainties. But I have too much gaming experience to know that, for an early access game, written words mean nothing.

On 26/09/2016 at 4:08 AM, Nowtarfu said:

I think that everyone is misunderstanding the current "Play Anywhere" concept for Ark Survival Evolved on XB1. It appears that people believe that this means that an XB1 version can play on same server as a computer version. This is not the case as of now.

What is does is let a person who has an XBox 1 and an XBox 1 game to link the XBox 1 to their computer that has windows 10 through an app causing their XBox 1 to stream to the computer. Thus, a person can use their computer to play their XBox 1 Ark game on their XBox 1 remotely.  

Here is a long live stream of someone doing that. This is played on Xbox one with one friend hosting and others joining his game. Go to the linked video at the end of this post and fast forward to 1:30:00 in the video and listen for a couple of minutes. The guy says that he has his Xbox connected to his computer and using his computer to play the Xbox game. A Windows 10 app can be connected to an Xbox one but the Ark game must be a Xbox one version and running on the Xbox one while connected.

OP: This would need more investigation but I believe that the only way to play with your brothers is to get an Xbox one, Ark Survival Evolved game for Xbox one, Xbox Live account, have your brothers in your Xbox live friends list, A windows 10 OS with Xbox app (comes with windows 10) connected to your Xbox One; and then you can use your computer to play an Xbox Ark with your brothers. The controls will still function as a Xbox though so short cut keys might be limited.

All I can say is the guy in the video is doing it. There was a disruption on internet access at the hosts house so they lost their "Server" for a moment early on and had to reconnect. Times set in the videos description on yourtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExKcE_NwDI

Edit: go here and read how this works from the source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

That is so wrong it is not even funny. You're referring to Streaming the game to the Windows 10 PC via the Xbox App. That is not Xbox Play Anywhere, would you like me to show you playing my Xbox Forza Horizon 3 copy on WIndows 10 without using the Xbox App?

On 10/25/2016 at 9:17 AM, ElCobrito said:

I already read that many months ago. I've yet to read an official statement from WC, statement that instead came on twitter about hosting xbox one servers on pc.

I'd be more than happy to crossplay, anyway it's been six months since that piece of news and we didn't see crossplay nor win10 hosting.

I repeat, I'm glad that you have all those certainties. But I have too much gaming experience to know that, for an early access game, written words mean nothing.

I am not going to carry on the conversation with you as it is pointless. I am not going to argue with you.

At the end of the day it is not out yet. And when it does come out everyone will know how it will work. 

They just posted in the latest Q&A that the play anywhere version of Ark should be released in December.

To clarify, play anywhere allows anyone who has purchased the XB1 version of ark to play it on their PC without streaming it, but you cannot run a server one one box and play on the other as it's going to utilize one instance of the game.  You'll need a 2nd account to run a server one the PC or XB and play on the other.

Archived