Primitive Plus 1.1 Patch Notes

complexminded

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I am disappointed that I can't update my server yet to Primitive Plus, since we've been holding off until the big fix, I am even more disappointed in the reaction some of the community is giving. Throwing around insults like you're some sort of child who was told that they couldn't have their ice cream before dinner.

I understand mistakes are made, and it goes to show many players misunderstand the concept of EA, the fact that sometimes things happen, and the fact that this guy is probably dealing with things new in accordance to this game and making builds for different platforms. Who knows, he may have been misinformed. Maybe it was just pure mistake. He was originally just another mod in the workshop, and now he is working with official game material. If you look at it this way, all these bug fixes are amazing, as many bugs and issues in game for ARK itself have not been fixed, and yet he's managed to push out fixes for all these things.

Either way, some of you guys seriously need to get your undies out of a bunch and step outside for a breather; without this guy, there would not be Primitive + to begin with. Give thanks and understanding instead of hate and ignorance; too much salt is bad for your health.

So, again, thanks for all your hard work! I look forward to finally beginning my community server on your DLC.

When it was just a mod he was working on he could do no wrong.  However when it became a DLC that me and mine got a server for and a couple folks also bought the game to play with us with some expectation of professionalism and a functional product was expected. We ended up getting a product that was worst than the mod IMO. I am not angry mind you, just disappointed.  

I do not know where the blame lies, but neither do I care about an excuse for it.  Professionals make deadlines, amateurs make excuses as they miss them.  Me and mine are off to find something different, best of luck to all involved but continuing to run a dead server for a mod that is one excuse after another?

Have fun with that.

Well on one side i agree with you Tamboob - on the other side i don´t - yeah the work he is doing is amazing, i love the Mod/DLC, artwork mechanics etc. i also love that he has now the support from official side - but and here it comes - in the beginning when the dlc came out his presence in this forum was more established in the last days/ week the presence is almost gone - i don´t know the reason, either commands from WC or his own dicision, but without communication it is the right of customers to get a little bit pissed - and yeah some of the words spoken here are maybe a little bit over the line....but i can only speak for myself - rented a server on the day the dlc came out - for me and friends to have a second server to get a little bit out of the normal ark and now the server is empty because we are all missing important parts of the dlc and we are waiting everyday on news and when they come - i´m getting hyped and then the patch is delayed again - so yeah i slowly come to the point where i get pissed too - about the communication or the absence of communication and delays.... 

As a developer of some accounting software, if I feel I can have an update or a bug fixed by Tuesday, for example, I tell the customer it will be done by Friday  around 3pm. This way the customer has time to prepare, make necessary arrangements, and I have some padding in case something goes wrong. I might have the update done on Monday. I still wait until Friday at 3 pm to release it. Where I went to school this was one of the basic courses you took in business. You create a Gantt chart, over estimate the time it will take on every step, then figure out the absolute worse case possible and multiply that by some percentage. That end date is the date you give your clients or customers. I wouldn't be that aggravated if it wasn't for the fact that we have no information except what you tell us. So when you tell us it's going to be released on the weekend and we spend the entire weekend sitting out our computers waiting for the patch to find out Monday that it's postponed until Tuesday, we get aggravated. Then on Tuesday when we spend the day again sitting at our computers waiting for the patch and don't find out until Tuesday night that it's starting to look like Wednesday. I understand the moment you found out Wednesday there was a problem you told us. This is what I want. I'm glad you didn't wait until Wednesday at midnight to tell us. I would suggest that instead of trying to cram everything in and get it out as soon as possible, which will probably lead to more bugs because of the rushing. That you schedule a date/time to release it (Next Friday at 5pm Eastern) as an example. Even though its further away I feel more people would comfortable with an exact date/time than a guess. Speaking for myself I want to be on the moment it patches and I'm sure the majority of players do too. That's why we are sitting at our computers waiting for the patch. If you think you can have it done by Monday tell us it will be done by Next Friday.

Whilst doing personal insults isn't really the way forward, the only way to express anger/annoyance/disappointment/disbelief, is to well, do exactly that. Everyone expresses themselves differently. Rather than jumping to the conclusion that it is an angry salty gamer, you need to try and understand where that is all coming from and why they are acting that way. 

The problem the majority have is not simply the fact it is constantly being delayed for varying reasons, it is the total lack of clear communication around it. The complete and utter dishonesty going on also. Hiding on your twitter and not addressing people directly in a public domain for all to see, is really not going to go in your favor if you want to reassure people. 

At this stage, the damage has been done, the truth has come out and I, like a few people on here, turned out to be correct again. What they should be doing at this point is publicly addressing the issue, making a formal apology, giving a time-frame they can realistically stick to, and putting in procedures to ensure that something like this never, ever, happens again. Instead we are met with silence, statements of 'I don't really know', and a mod developer who appears to be in denial about the issue currently at hand, stating 

But its inevitable to run into things you cant account for

This is absurd to say the least. The Xbox and PC are two entirely different systems, both working in different ways. You cannot realistically expect one version to work seamlessly on the other without any kind of problem. The PC version of this should have been the main focus and it was not. This is what has stirred up a lot of the recent anger, more than the delay itself IMO.

Had they been open and honest about their intentions from the beginning, I expect the community would have been a little more understanding, but they chose to be dishonest. That is a conscious decision they (WC as a company - incl ComplexMinded) chose to make. 

They have stated that Xbox will not derive from the development of PC stuff, ie, it will not hinder PC development. We know this to not be true already, and this right now proves that fact even more.

For me personally, its the lack of sincere apology that annoys me the most, and the fact that it has, and still is, being handled so incredibly poorly. 

For the past week/2 weeks? I've basically done the job of what one of their community managers should have been doing for this mod. Keeping people updated both on here and on the STEAM forums. I've made a collective thread of pretty much every single bug that has been detected for Primitive+, I've kept it up to date, communicated it back to the Steam forums, let people on both forums know what will/wont be fixed in the upcoming patches in various threads, and in my PM's, I'm currently helping someone troubleshoot their servers.  What have WC community management done for this mod?

33 minutes ago, Jimmy NoShoes said:

. The Xbox and PC are two entirely different systems, both working in different ways. You cannot realistically expect one version to work seamlessly on the other without any kind of problem. The PC version of this should have been the main focus and it was not. This is what has stirred up a lot of the recent anger, more than the delay itself IMO.

I'm not sure how WC works or how information is passed around.  I know Complex is a mod developer.  Its entirely possible he is used to working with UWP (Universal Windows Platform) which is supposed to make applications work seamlessly across the xbox one and windows.  Unreal Engine 4 just became UWP compatible (2 days prior to primitive+ being released).  So I highly doubt ARK is built to be UWP compatible but maybe someone told Complex they were.  I'm just pointing out its plausible that someone could expect something they built to work on both the PC and XBOX.

21 minutes ago, Gavonas said:

I'm not sure how WC works or how information is passed around.  I know Complex is a mod developer.  Its entirely possible he is used to working with UWP (Universal Windows Platform) which is supposed to make applications work seamlessly across the xbox one and windows.  Unreal Engine 4 just became UWP compatible (2 days prior to primitive+ being released).  So I highly doubt ARK is built to be UWP compatible but maybe someone told Complex they were.  I'm just pointing out its plausible that someone could expect something they built to work on both the PC and XBOX.

They are adding UWP Compatibility its part of there move to cross platform servers for full game release.

EDIT

So i suspect he has been working on the cross platform version thats getting released soon.

Saying that i wouldn't be surprised if they are planing to change the source to being  UWP Compatible In the Sept Update when they also add DirectX 12 Support 

21 minutes ago, Gavonas said:

That makes sense, except he told us we could help him by testing the patch on the beta in the Steam workshop, which I've been doing for over a week and not only has it not been updated, but the beta there is more broken then the released game, in fact no prim+ resources actually drop, so it seems that was done to placate us while they went and did the real testing on the xbone. Unless you can come up with a different explanation for that?

Even if PC and Xbone OS's were 99.9% identical, the fact that they haven't released Prim+ on the xbone makes me think it's not ready for release, which raises the question, why would an unreleased platform be the one you  exclusively test your patches on?

Then of course there is the repeated occurrence of promising a release later in the day, or the next day, then going radio silent for 5 days when the patch never drops. It's better to under promise and over perform then doing it the other way around.

To answer @StarKillerX - To get the content out on the Xbox asap. Brings back more players, gives them more content, further potential sales. Same reason they bring in 3rd party mods for the PC and make them 'official'. Remember WC aren't making as much money out of this now. They have no paid DLC, no monetisation program, and no other paid games at this time. Therefore the only real way of drawing in more people to make more money is to add 3rd party content, ie: maps (center) and game modes (primitive+). Then you have the spinoff Survival of the Fittest, F2P, gives people a taste, they want more, buy the main game. Soon we'll have the one that you can play as a Dino, which will again attract new people and thus, more money. Anyway, point I'm getting at is they have the Xbox as well now, so they will be trying to monetize off that as soon as they can, in any way they can. At the end of the day, they are a business out to make money.

In regards to @Gavonas - I thought they were only going to be doing Play Anywhere/ Cross play thing, so they can play the game on Windows 10 and host servers on Windows 10? Similar to Gears 4? Don't think they'll be able to play against users on STEAM.  Either way, new integration (if its even done), you'd expect them to not solely rely on it working immediately and assuming all would be fine. Going by the fact Xbox is always out of date in terms of content, I'll take the notion it is not a straightforward port with what works on one, working on the other.

Regardless of the above, I still stand by my previous post in its entirety. 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy NoShoes said:

To answer @StarKillerX - To get the content out on the Xbox asap. Brings back more players, gives them more content, further potential sales. Same reason they bring in 3rd party mods for the PC and make them 'official'. Remember WC aren't making as much money out of this now. They have no paid DLC, no monetisation program, and no other paid games at this time. Therefore the only real way of drawing in more people to make more money is to add 3rd party content, ie: maps (center) and game modes (primitive+). Then you have the spinoff Survival of the Fittest, F2P, gives people a taste, they want more, buy the main game. Soon we'll have the one that you can play as a Dino, which will again attract new people and thus, more money. Anyway, point I'm getting at is they have the Xbox as well now, so they will be trying to monetize off that as soon as they can, in any way they can. At the end of the day, they are a business out to make money.

Oh don't get me wrong, i know why they are doing it, but when they try and blow smoke up my ass talking about how the PC is priority, right after saying they are only testing the patch on an platform whose release is incomplete it annoys me. I don't like being lied to and doing so causes me to loose respect for those involved, but the people and the company as a whole. 

Putting your current paid customers on hold because you want to expand into another platform to make more money is poor customer server, I mean if Xbone users are smart, they will look at the way PC users are being treated now, since they will get the same treatment with WC is ready to start tapping into the PS4 market.

Basically it boils down to, they are screwing over their current customers, to whom they have made promises, in favor of trying to get new customers, so it's basically them saying "FU, we already have your money!"

Man you bunch are a whiny group of ashats aren't you? Is it too hard to just be patient and wait for the fix to come? At what point do you whiny asses forget this is a game in development and this currently is a mod becoming an official Part of the game? That means a lot of things change, means a lot of work to be done. Sit back, relax, and wait, it was your choices to buy or rent servers or do this or that, just like any release, it has bugs. How many of you paid for a full price game? None? That's what I thought, just wait, they're working on it, quit crying about it and do what you can to help instead of insult.

4 minutes ago, vanbret said:

Man you bunch are a whiny group of ashats aren't you? Is it too hard to just be patient and wait for the fix to come? At what point do you whiny asses forget this is a game in development and this currently is a mod becoming an official Part of the game? That means a lot of things change, means a lot of work to be done. Sit back, relax, and wait, it was your choices to buy or rent servers or do this or that, just like any release, it has bugs. How many of you paid for a full price game? None? That's what I thought, just wait, they're working on it, quit crying about it and do what you can to help instead of insult.

And at what point do you realize he's been lying to use for two weeks now, in addition he's given us 4 different release dates and now says it needs to work on their incomplete xbox platform before he can work on the PC fixes?

As things sit now, Ced was reward for his mod, and PC users were punished as we would have been better off had it stayed a mod, since many of the current bugs didn't exist in the mod.

As for helping, I tired, I spent hours testing out what I was told was the beta for the patch, only to find out it was basically a red herring to distract PC users for awhile while they concentrated on an unreleased product.

7 minutes ago, StarKillerX said:

And at what point do you realize he's been lying to use for two weeks now, in addition he's given us 4 different release dates and now says it needs to work on their incomplete xbox platform before he can work on the PC fixes?

As things sit now, Ced was reward for his mod, and PC users were punished as we would have been better off had it stayed a mod, since many of the current bugs didn't exist in the mod.

As for helping, I tired, I spent hours testing out what I was told was the beta for the patch, only to find out it was basically a red herring to distract PC users for awhile while they concentrated on an unreleased product.

He's just trolling... Don't give into him.

Well i feel like an idiot for repeatedly getting my hopes up. 

This whole thing could easily have been turned around into something great. Despite all the bugs and glitches the community here where eager to help, the overall vibe on the forum was positive and some went out of their way by keeping the bug-list updated etc. Then then communication nearly stopped, we where given release dates that weren't met and fed lies about priorities(Xbox release). Im  disappointed and frustrated, and no longer feel i can trust the info i am given. 

I believe if they had dropped a patch a bit after the first week, most things would have been forgiven and the bond between us here and wildcard would have come out stronger than it was.

Lastly, when someone makes a decision they feel they must lie about it, then its a bad decision. 

9 hours ago, StarKillerX said:

Oh don't get me wrong, i know why they are doing it, but when they try and blow smoke up my ass talking about how the PC is priority, right after saying they are only testing the patch on an platform whose release is incomplete it annoys me. I don't like being lied to and doing so causes me to loose respect for those involved, but the people and the company as a whole. 

Putting your current paid customers on hold because you want to expand into another platform to make more money is poor customer server, I mean if Xbone users are smart, they will look at the way PC users are being treated now, since they will get the same treatment with WC is ready to start tapping into the PS4 market.

Basically it boils down to, they are screwing over their current customers, to whom they have made promises, in favor of trying to get new customers, so it's basically them saying "FU, we already have your money!"

I wouldn't worry about the PS4 market ant time soon. Sony have already said they don't want the game until its in a stable build ready for full release. I read a tweet of either Jen or Jat regarding it a while ago

1 hour ago, Hiramas said:

Hey, another miniscule patch from the people that "didn't want to bother players with too many small patches"

edit: Before anyone asks, yes I am a bit annoyed by the whole situation

For you sir, I just want to say "The dude abides!"

For the rest,

I'm going to just say, that I work for one of the large pop companies out there, I have goals, numbers I have to hit, etc..  I also know what as a worker it's like to get lied to by higher ups, and not get informed from superiors in regards to information, etc.  As much as its disrespecting, sometimes you just have to go with the punches and push on which maybe complex ran into.  As for our side, I will rely on a quote my boss told me about when dealing with customers "It takes time to build trust and respect with someone, but it only takes a few minutes to completely ruin it".  This is what I am seeing here @complexminded.   You're ruining the trust and respect with YOUR players.   I say yours, as a majority of them came from your mod.

Yes, their communication sucks major ass, and I'm sure if they were to assign one person, and one person only in posting information on the major sources we rely on for information about Ark, and any of its components, I'm sure none of these problems with communication would happen.  That one person could formulate questions based off of what we post in some of these threads.   Seek the people out it pertains to, and then relay the information to us, and I'm sure that would solve 80% of our current issues.   Not rely on the workers, etc...to update their information all the time, so they can actually keep hard at work.  The game just might get done on time.  Now, they could have that in place, but then who is it?  Just an idea to pass along to the higher ups @complexminded.

Regardless, 

I will just sit back and wait patiently like usual.

I doubt @complexminded is lying to anyone.  Releases and code integration aren't simple things, and to go from a mod to integrated DLC makes it more complicated. I am certain he is working hard at it, as is Wildcard. Let's face it, Wildcard has never been good at communication with the player base, and has been terrible about update communication.  And I am sure he is limited as to what and when he can say things.  Best thing we can do is continue to post bugs, and know that it will be out when it is out. We can choose to wait it out, or we can give up on the DLC.  My server still has a solid base, so I will wait it out in hopes for a better product.

Slinging insults and accusations without all facts is pointless. 

56 minutes ago, LostHoursVidiot said:

I doubt @complexminded is lying to anyone.  Releases and code integration aren't simple things, and to go from a mod to integrated DLC makes it more complicated. I am certain he is working hard at it, as is Wildcard. Let's face it, Wildcard has never been good at communication with the player base, and has been terrible about update communication.  And I am sure he is limited as to what and when he can say things.  Best thing we can do is continue to post bugs, and know that it will be out when it is out. We can choose to wait it out, or we can give up on the DLC.  My server still has a solid base, so I will wait it out in hopes for a better product.

Whilst I think a lot of people do understand that things never quite go as planned a lot of the time, it is the terrible communication behind it that has annoyed so many. They have lied, openly, the facts are there plain to see in all fairness. A business decision to focus on the Xbox for what can only really be viewed as monetary gain was made, and this backfired drastically for the main market who put them in this position in the first place. The fact we quite literally have no formal apology whatsoever, and the developer now chooses to only communicate via his twitter feed is terrible. This isn't damage control, it is called trying to hide from the problem. So Whilst I fully accept the view you are trying to make, I do not accept that we have not been lied to, when it is clear as day that is the case. In regards from workshop to DLC, again I must raise the argument he had an entire month (from announcement) to get it 'ready' as a DLC. He most likely knew prior to this as well.

I don't actually see many people slinging insults to be fair, people are airing frustrations and annoyance, and they are fully entitled to do so. As for accusations... when you base the accusation on facts, they are no longer accusations.

They can't really plead the 5th on this one, they already incriminated themselves with what they have said. Besides, IF we are all entirely wrong, then surely they would come on here, make a statement, and correct us all with the facts whilst providing evidence that they are not making up yet another falsity? 

edit: Not sure if appropriate use of the 5th argument? I'm from the UK, we don't have such things.

edit 2: I also accept Complexminded is hard working and things go on behind the scenes that he no doubt cannot say. The problem is, the truth will always come out one way or another, which it has here. Had they/he, been honest from the beginning about the intentions, this probably wouldn't have ended up being the crap storm its turned into. The fact no community manager has done their job at this point in addressing the community now, really says a lot.

32 minutes ago, LostHoursVidiot said:

I just typed out a long post with links to all the facts from @complexminded Twitter but deleted it because I really don't see the point in carrying this on.

As @Jimmy NoShoes has said, there really isn't many insults being thrown, and if I have thrown any then it wasn't meant to be insults.

The fact of the matter is that the DLC has been out for just about 2 weeks now and there has been no attempt to patch out even the major game breaking bugs, not even the exploits that are flying around. It would have been so easy to put out a small patch to fix the worst of the issues and then say that he is going to work on the XBox version and fix the other issues while he does it. I am pretty sure most people would of been happy with that!

But what has happened has happened and can't be changed all we can do is hope for some better communication in the future, and keep @complexminded fully stocked with coffee and Red Bull so he can get the patch out ASAP!

I am not going to comment on the the events of the last 2 weeks anymore, just sit back and wait for the patch.

30 minutes ago, Jimmy NoShoes said:

edit 2: I also accept Complexminded is hard working and things go on behind the scenes that he no doubt cannot say. The problem is, the truth will always come out one way or another, which it has here. Had they/he, been honest from the beginning about the intentions, this probably wouldn't have ended up being the crap storm its turned into. The fact no community manager has done their job at this point in addressing the community now, really says a lot.

Wait,

Maybe we just are not doing it correctly.  Maybe if we tag every community moderator, and WC employee on here, we may get at least one of them to see this, and possibly be polite and offer us even a slight reply.  It's a far stretch, but could work.

The main issue here is the deceit. Primitive+ is in Beta 1, so we are all basically beta testing it. We thought we were reporting bugs for a PC fix which we were told would happen last week initially. After several delays, we find out that their priority was to fix P+ for the XBOX release instead of fixing it for the PC version which has already been released. That's not right. The PC version is in serious need of a patch, it should have been priority because it is already released. XBOX can wait.

Archived