The Giant Pangolin, Gungolin, The Living Artillery Piece

MegaOnna

Suggestion

36 replies to this server topic

I think the abilities are incredibly creative! Utilizing the gems of the map is great. The only thing I will say though is the gem effects don’t stack and are capped at 5%? I feel like that’s underwhelming. I understand maybe not allowing to reach 100% but maybe consider allowing it to stack to 20-30% or so but with a cooldown? It would be a good support creature that would make a noticeable difference without being too overpowered. 

Edited by ElPINGUcubano94

9 hours ago, Mutagenica said:

On the one hand I think you need a Megatherium in Aberration (imagine how much Chitin you get from killing a Karkino) or some creature that covers this niche.
And I think a creature was needed that specialized in collecting crystal and gems.
I think it's a good combination.

Agree 100%%%

I love this creature but it really needs to not entirely be based on the gastrolith spitting. Or rather vomiting. The issue I find is that this is really not possible at the frequency and finesse you'd expect from something that is an artillery mechanic. You're not supposed to throw up that much for a reason, it can cause damage to your insides and I'm not sure we can just brush off that sort of thing unless we give a reason for it in its biology.

I think you should give it the ability to resist acidic compound based substances. This would come from the ones in the Bio Zone feeding on Arthropluera and being able to adapt to its acid blood, therefore it has developed an immunity that allowed it to employ this strategy of spitting gastroliths without destroying its own insides in the process. Some other creatures may use vomit occasionally like how sharks do after eating to clean up or vultures for defense but at the rate of a galling gun or artillery function that's too much without a reason.

I like the idea of it being essentially a cementing paste crafter from Chitin and Keratin, as long as it has stones in its inventory it would use them to turn a set amount of Chitin or Keratin in Cementing Paste, perhaps using up a Stone or 5 in order to do so. To make sure they don't get weighed down they could have reduced weight carry for Stone.

In addition, since it's being used as a Cementing Paste machine, why not utilize it to make it the walking Mortar and Pestle? Or rather, the new Stone Tier Mortar and Pestle upgrade. Many things don't have a mid tier upgrade in Ark, they go straight from campfire to grill, cooking pot and forge to industrial, Mortar to Chem bench. What if it had a saddle or ability that let it process the unique resources of recipes for the Mortar and pestle, or even let it make other versions of those recipes using Abs set of resources?

You could use it to grind up Gems into dust with certain properties, mushrooms and Berries to make more potent versions of things like Narcotic, Stimulant, Antidotes etc as well as the innards of the various insects of the zones.

Perhaps each insect could bring different effects once processed in this creature's system and used for all this alchemical stuff. Enabling you to create countermeasures to various effects in Ark.

Achatina - Remedy, this cures basic afflictions like disease, poison or Venom, and grants a small amount of slow regeneration. 

Arthropluera - Salve, this treats the damage of burns from acidic and caustic substances like Acid Spit or Blood from Arthropluera, Reapers and such, enabling a regeneration effect for 50% of the damage done by it.

Pulmonoscorpius - Analeptic/Stimulating Tonic, this gives the effect of Stimulants and can wake a player or creature up from unconsciousness much quicker.

Dung Beetle - Detox, this strange substance is capable of causing rapid recovery from severe poisoning from radiation sickness and allows the ability to cure from the effects of debilitating Venom that drains Stamina.

Araneo - Antivenom, this potent counteragent can neutralize almost any offensive Venom or poison, stopping it from causing further damage.

Glowbug - Cryostatic Enzymes, these particles are able to be applied to quickly cool something down in the event of burns and exposure to searing element, freezing the stuff in its tracks, beware though, using it too much may temporarily cause lethargy or even freeze parts of the innards of a creature.

The Pangolin's claws irl are no joke btw. They are capable of digging through concrete. It would be interesting if they could unearth creatures buried, or even find extra resources below the nodes of clusters of things like Gems, Bones, or Plants. Idk. Just a few suggestions cause I feel like it's a part that could be cool in their kit.

I want the giant anteater or pangolin, I really do. If this guy doesn't get in I'd totally try to bring it in with Valguero or something where I feel it might also fit. They even have their own Aberrant cave systems, maybe it could be the unique creatyre you get for venturing down there as opposed to Ab.

This creature is a prehistoric pangolin that thanks to its scales and large size has a lot of defense that is useful to absorb damage or defend our base, despite its size thanks to the fact that its scales are not made of bone but of keratin, It is not as heavy as the parese which allows it to have a fast average mobility for its size, It will be possible to tame the normal form by leaving it incoient and feeding it with keratin, but it will be more difficult to leave them psychos due to its large armor.

Classification: Vertebrates / Mammals

Reproduction: Viviparous

Food: Omnivorous

Order: Pholidota

Family: Manidae

Genus: Manis

Abilities

A double mount is great when there's an emergency and your friend's dinosaur dies or gets caught in a web.

It throws scales from its tail to attack from a distance.

Its mount is double and makes you immune to damage.

It has weight reduction in resources such as metal, stone, obsidian, sand, flint.

It can reflect the damage, it will increase according to the blows it receives. (Their scales are sharp)

It can create a cloud of dust in front of it hitting the ground will work like a smoke grenade.

Can launch sand projectiles that slow down and reduce the vision of enemies (area attack)

It can climb grease to its curved and sharp claws

Their ranged attacks cause bleeding from their sharp scales

A new material could be implemented that would be the scales that would be used to make armor that reduces insect damage and increases even insect damage.

pangoli.jpg

pangoli (1).jpg

Edited by cobado0505

"Dossier: Smutsia Titanus is a creature unlike any other I have encountered thus far in terms of natural defense. Their unique scales are one of the only materials I've observed to have a natural resistance to nameless venom, and the Reaper by proxy. A titan by normal Pangolin standards, these species have evolved drastically in size due to the constant intake of radiation. Their armored scales mitigating the negative effects within their genetic builds, granting them immense power in many different ways!"

"Wild: In the wild, Smutsia displays curiosity for many things. A survivor can most of the time walk up to Smutsia without worry. As they are innately friendly towards creatures smaller than itself. However, should larger or aggressive creatures roam about their turf, they will turn into aggressive walking fortresses. They are especially adapted to dealing with Reapers and their nameless entourigues. Their armored scales harboring resistance, while their claws and sharp plates act as penetrating blades, sharp enough to pierce their armor without the use of chargelight!"

"Tamed: Between Smutsia’s different ways of using it’s scales and innate strengths, Smutsia can quickly become a survivors most dangerous threat, and certainly one of your most indispensable allies. Their scales can also be used to create special shields. They are as strong as any natural metal, with a genetic code that enhances their effectiveness against the many nameless and Reapers that reside within this Hellscape."

=========================================================================================================================

Size: I'd say about the size of a Trike at minimum, and an Allosaurus at maximum size. That way it's not just another... "Ohh...Big dino...Ohh...Big = Strong. Ohh..." I want this dino to be a little pint-sized powerhouse. At least in Aberration's standards. 

Saddle location: The saddle I imagine would be much like a Gacha. With the rider being impervious to all effects when the Pangolin is in it's defensive stance. But being able to be harmed through various means if in either of it's other two stances. The Saddle can also function as a Smithy. As the only creature on Aberration with this ability is the Beaver. However, it will not have weight reduction, since it will be mainly battle-oriented. Both defensive wise, and offense. 

Early, Mid, or Late Game Creature?: I'd say that I'd like the Pangolin to be a late game creature. As I have designed it to counter one of the strongest creatures in the game from what I've experienced. You can tame it earlier, but it would be really risky. Plus, you'd need lots of gems, which don't come easy. 

=========================================================================================================================

Abilities:

(Hardened Scales: Passive) "You are protected by thick scales!" While riding the Pangolin, you will be protected from a myriad of different effects. Such as stuns, dismounts, toxic vapors from Wyverns and Basilisks, Radiation, Leeches, Lampreys, and a passive damage resistance to any Reaper or nameless enemy. Whether it be an ally Reaper's friendly fire, an Enemy Reaper, and Wild ones too. This passive would also increase all damage done to Reapers and nameless, while also granting it piercing damage. Making it one of the only creatures able to fight a Reaper and such without the use of chargelight. These scales also make it so that it is insanely hard to knock out. As it would take a lot to fell a walking Bastion. The scales will also passively reduce the damage of Velonasaur turret form damage. Making them able to soak damage from Velonasaurs. Explosions and fire are one of the only things that can reliably hurt a Pangolin. And if they take too much damage in a short time, they will have the Hardened Scales passive disabled for a period of time. They will have to be out of battle in order to recover this passive. Think of it like the opposite of a Giga's rage. Where they get stronger, the Pangolin gets weaker.  Too much damage will result in the Pangolin being much less effective in battle. There is only so much a suit of armor can take before it needs to be repaired. Hence, why strategic battling can massively benefit the Pangolin's combat prowess. 

(Shed Scales: Passive) When tamed, the Pangolin will passively create shed scales in it's inventory. Much like Desmodeus Draculae, you can use these scales to create special armor, weapons, and more specifically shields. The armor and weapons are high hopes, as it would be nice to see more weapons and armor in the game, however, I think a shield that is specifically made to counter Reapers acid and tail attacks could be really interesting. The shield would give reduced knockback from all tail attacks, not just Reapers. This would apply to the Carcharodontosaurus, as well as the Pangolin's own tail attack. The shield would also would take no damage from any of the Reaper's corrosive spines or globs of acid when fired from it's tail. It would also be immune to the Shadowmane's thornmail debuff. 

(Special Passive: Burrow / Mine) The Pangolin when tamed is able to bury itself like a Basilisk or Reaper, but it can take this one step further. No matter where, if they are above suitable ground, they can become buried. They can then be set to passively collect the various Gems that reside is Aberration. With more dangerous areas granting more Gems, and rarer qualities. In the Green Zone, they would be able to get small amounts of Green Gems, with a very rare chance for Blue Gems. In the Blue Zone, they would be able to mine for medium amounts of Green and Blue Gems. With a very minimal chance of getting Red Gems. And if stationed within the Red Zone, they are able to gather Large quantities of Green and Blue Gems, while getting little - medium harvests of Red Gems. They can also be set to burrow for stone, flint, and metal. With it's damage stat influencing the amount gained. When mining, it's normally not very visible underground state, will instead be clouded with dust clouds, with gems flying out of it. Making it a dead giveaway. That way PVP players can force it out with explosives or fire. 

(Semi-aquatic: Passive) The Pangolin in real life is stated to be able to swim fair distances. And since Aberration is full of water, both normal and daedly elemental streams, they should be able to at least swim semi-good. The Hardened Scales passive could also serve as a way to traverse the Elemental Streams that reside at the radioactive area. Mind you, it would still take damage, just not as much as other creatures. That way it's not completely able to counter all of the dangers in the Red zone. 

(Attack 1: Claw swipe.) The Pangolin will swipe with it's sharp claws alternatively switching from right claw to left claw and back, like a Ferox. 

(Attack 2: Tail swipe.) The Pangolin swipes with it's large, armored tail. Sending foes flying a 'short - medium' distance, and having a slight cooldown. This effect will also be able to reflect projectiles, such as Reaper spines, and even Basilisk venom. 

(Attack 3: Stance Change - Defensive) The Pangolin being covered in hard scales ain't just for show. These creatures will be able to switch between 3 different modes, much like the Stego. The first stance will be defense oriented. The Pangolin will take reduced damage from all sources by 10%. The Pangolin also moves the slowest in this stance, as they are low to the ground, but also immune to all types of rider impairment. The rider is also encased within the Pangolin's tanky exterior. Much like the Andrewsarchus saddle, the rider is immune to nearly everything and anything. Making this a good taming assist for numerous reasons. The Pangolin can also stand still and turn. Much like a Spino in it's bipedal stance. They are also able to use their secondary attack to become a more controllable version of the Roll-Rat's rolling attack. It would be pretty slow, but is extremely good at getting places safely. Given you have the stamina for it. It's turning radius would also be the widest in this form. The rider would be UNABLE to use weaponry in this stance. 

(Attack 4: Stance Change - Gather) The Pangolin relaxes it's muscles, allowing the Rider to be seen and harmed by players and environmental hazards. In this stance, the Pangolin excels at gathering three main resources. Nameless Venom, Thatch, and Meat. The Pangolin is able to use both it's tail attack, and claw attacks, but at a faster rate than in defensive stance. Their roll attack is faster, and has a sharper turning radius. The rider can used ranged and melee weaponry in this stance. This includes firearms. 

(Attack 5: Stance Change - Offensive) The Pangolin tenses up, rearing up to it's full height. It's claws fully unfurled, and their scales fully displayed. The player is the most vulnerable in this stance, as explosions can severely damage anyone within the saddle in the Offensive stance. Players are also easily able to be hit by ranged weaponry, as they are not concealed within the Pangolin's armor. The Pangolin is able to run quite fast in this stance, their roll attack is as fast as can be, and it's turn radius is sharp as can be, turning on a dime essentially. Their claw attacks in this stance pierce Reaper's natural defenses, and penetrates anything of this like. Including Saddle armor, and the Stego's damage mitigation stance. The rider is able to wield weaponry in this stance. Their tail attack also applies a short bleed. Having a longer cooldown in this form. They also have thorns in this stance. Like the Arthropleura and Kentro, anything that attacks them in this stance will damage themselves by a portion of the damage dealt. 5% of the damage sounds pretty fair to me. However, if the Hardened Scales passive is disabled, this thorn damage is disabled as well. 

Taming: They are highly curious creatures, and as such, they are tamed non-violently. They are friendly to anything smaller than themselves, are cautious around creatures the same size, and become aggressive when confronted by something larger than them. Such as a Rock Drake or Karkinos. And don't even get me started if you have a Reaper. They hate Reapers more than anything. Anyway, they will be tamed using a unique method. Have a creature on passive and place it near the Pangolin. The Pangolin will start to gather around your tame. At this point, nothing should happen. But, place a few Gems in the creatures inventory, and suddenly, the Pangolin will start to circle your creature. Looking for an oppurtunity to take the shiny prizes for itself. They love shiny items, so the lustrious gems of Aberration are one of it's favorite prizes of choice. When the Pangolin decides it's ready to take the Gems, it will slash at your creature, but not harming it. Instead, it will take the Gems from the dino's inventory, and start to burrow once it has walked a few feet away from your creature. Then , it will resurface, and start the process again. During this time, it is important to keep large creatures away, as if the Pangolin feels threatened, they will lose all taming effectiveness. Using food during this process will also help to tame it faster. As when it takes gems, it won't deny the chance to get some free food out of it too! So throw in some meat, and it'll be sure to help it build some trust with you! The rarer the meat, the more of a boost the gems will have. However, Nameless Venom is this thing's favorite treat. Having just one of these in your dino's inventory will make it so that the Pangolin more quickly decides to take some loot. It will also help to keep taming effectiveness at maximum. Making Nameless Venom the best way to tame these beasts.  Nameless Venom is also an item that they would request if bred. Making Nameless Venom pretty essential in the raising of these bad boys. 

Breeding: Pangolin breeding is a bit unique too. As you will need various amounts of gems in the male Pangolin in order to gain the respect and mating rites to his mate. The higher the Pangolin's level, the more gems you will need in order to enact breeding rites. The Female will need to be holding at LEAST one food item. The more you have the better, as they will want to make sure to take care of their babies once they are born. They will have a special mate boosted ability, where the female Pangolin can carry a baby or two on her tail and back. Much like real Pangolins do. Ensuring the baby's safety, while also providing a safe way to traverse the baby from place to place. 

Final Thoughts: I have been wanting to submit this for a while now. I thought that a Pangolin could make for a literal perfect candidate for Aberration's subterranean biome. They burrow, are able to swim pretty far, and are able to defend themselves from far larger predators due to their scales and defensive capabilities. If anybody can think of anything better for this guy, don't be afraid to go on and say something. I thought of most of this stuff for a while. Tell me what you guys think. I think overall I'm really happy with the direction I took this guy. So I'm really hoping that people see this. I put a lot of thought into this. 

Sincerely: Jade.