5 hours ago, Luux said:

Since the Pachyrhinosaurus has a multi seater saddle and a ln actually very similarly executed ability as well as being a smaller Ceratopsid species...wait. this actually sounds too much like it.

I like the new taming method, it's good and unique and plays well with the creatures concept. Unfortunately, i think it's too bare. Another worry is can it even survive in the zones where it's abilities like Charge Light and radiation immunity are useful? Nameless might leave you alone but you'd already be bringing a charge pet with you anyway, what's the Chasmo supposed to do against Megalosaurus, Spinos, Karkinos, Sarcos that get it stuck on top of them, Ravager packs, Rock Drakes (Yeah no I don't see a flashbang stopping them man those things are not only tanky and can climb walls when they don't get stuck.) Among all the hostile creatures. How is this flashbang going to work exactly? Cause even if you do flashbang it how is this creature supposed to get away or not just run into more threats? Unfortunately the only part of its whole kit that seems to have any actual strength to it is the flash, but it really doesn't do much besides stun for a bit. So...what would even make it enough of a good creature to tame over just using a Ravager and a lightpet or any other ground mount that honestly is far better at fleeing or defending themselves while not needing flashbangs to do it.

The main value I can see in it is regards to Megalosaurus and Karkinos grips. But this isn't really mentioned or highlighted. I think you need to develop the idea a bit more and show how it works and how this creature is worth taming for use when it's appearing to be an even weaker ceratopsid potentially or just as squishy as the Pachyrhinosaurus, maybe with a bit more damage and health, but suffering likely from the same speed and mobility issues that leave it vulnerable unless with other creatures supporting it.

I really want smaller ceratopsid creatures in Ark but this... is not really worth voting for in terms of just that concept. There's a lot of creatures that could use charge light as an ability but this one is the most vague and difficult to imagine being useful I've seen. 

This is why I have a few suggestions on how to flesh out the creature and give its charge light frill ability more use than just a flashbang that might not even be enough to actually help it survive and end up needing it to be helped by other tames or survivors anyway.

The first part is defining just how this flash affects targets and for how long. Just stunning often won't do you any good, while this smaller Ceratopsid could likely be just a bit lighter and more agile to the point it could probably run better than a waddle. Faster but not fast enough to keep up with things like Parasaurs or much other than a Moschops perhaps. This way it's still fitting the physiology but capitalizing on its more slender and lighter mass in order to help it evade some encounters and not have to burn through 5 bars of Stamina to get from one place to another. If anything, it'd be great if the flashbang could also scare creatures as well as stun them, mostly smaller ones. So things like small pack hunters would be discouraged like how wolves irl can be spooked and fended off sometimes. If you've ever played the Long Dark you know what I mean.

Another option is one that sort of goes past the initial ability of flashbangs but utilizes the glowing ability of its frill and body for another purpose. Bluffing.

One interesting use of many bioluminescent lights on a creature, especially one where it's highlighted like you did in the concept is that perhaps it could use this to its advantage and scare or taunt creatures with its lights by flashing them not quite in the intensity of a flashbang but bright and colorful enough like the display of a creature trying to intimidate things. I can imagine the image of an angry disco ball Chasmo flashing its bioluminescence at a big spino and the thing just being confused as all heck. Doing this would cost charge just like the flashbang but not as much, more like a minor chunk similar to the corkscrew of pteras or jumping. It could even Roar as well to make it even scarier. As well as burning the eyeballs of Reapers everywhere it could also be a tactical kaleidoscope.

This opens up the possibility of many different ways to use the lights on the Chasmo. Perhaps you could even find them in different natural colors like how the Rock Drake feathers region can still have event colors affect them and they come in strange variations like yellow and pink etc.

Ayy, thanks for the suggestions. I'll rework a few more things to help flesh Chasmo out! (I'll be sure to credit you, too!)

• DangerFloof changed the title to (NEW ABILITIES) Introducing Chasmosaurus luxoscutum, The Walking Charge Lantern!
On 7/7/2023 at 11:37 PM, DangerFloof said:

Personally, I don't think this would make sense for a few different reasons. My intention for the Chasmosaurus is for it to be a weaker, but faster version of the Triceratops given its "Adrenaline Boost" ability. I feel having it be smaller than a Trike would be a good way to signify this. Not to mention, Chasmosaurus in reality was actually significantly smaller than Triceratops.
1200px-Ceratopsidae_Scale.svg.png?201903

(Triceratops is in red, Chasmosaurus is in green.)

Well the trike was significantly bigger than it’s shown as in ark. So was the megalodon. Gigas also weren’t double the size of rexes in real life. Size scaling is all messed up in ark so I wouldn’t just rely on that. 

it’s fine if you want to make it smaller and faster than the trike but you really should balance this somehow. Let me elaborate. 

It’s supposed to be smaller and faster for hit and run tactics to flash people off their mounts, yet the flash ability consumes 75% of their stam in one go. That is very steep considering It would have to run away because it has poor defenses. Generally if a creature is frail it’s very quick to avoid danger, or if it’s not quick then it’s bulky and can take hits. But making it not so fast to be a speedster but still frail leaves it in this awkward middle area. 

perhaps consider giving it synergy with light pets where if in the range of an allied light pets light, the flash bang attack requires less stamina, say 50% instead to offset the fact it doesn’t really have any powerful attacks and is not lightning fast. 

since it takes reduced damage to the head give it an ability to consume a few plant Z in exchange for being able to do a charge attack that does moderate damage but very heavy knock back to create space in a pinch. Could be useful as it could knock opponents off ledges. During the charge it takes 30% less damage from all attacks. 

if it isn’t going to have much offense it should have some level of defensive options. 

47 minutes ago, ElPINGUcubano94 said:

Well the trike was significantly bigger than it’s shown as in ark. So was the megalodon. Gigas also weren’t double the size of rexes in real life. Size scaling is all messed up in ark so I wouldn’t just rely on that. 

it’s fine if you want to make it smaller and faster than the trike but you really should balance this somehow. Let me elaborate. 

It’s supposed to be smaller and faster for hit and run tactics to flash people off their mounts, yet the flash ability consumes 75% of their stam in one go. That is very steep considering It would have to run away because it has poor defenses. Generally if a creature is frail it’s very quick to avoid danger, or if it’s not quick then it’s bulky and can take hits. But making it not so fast to be a speedster but still frail leaves it in this awkward middle area. 

perhaps consider giving it synergy with light pets where if in the range of an allied light pets light, the flash bang attack requires less stamina, say 50% instead to offset the fact it doesn’t really have any powerful attacks and is not lightning fast. 

since it takes reduced damage to the head give it an ability to consume a few plant Z in exchange for being able to do a charge attack that does moderate damage but very heavy knock back to create space in a pinch. Could be useful as it could knock opponents off ledges. During the charge it takes 30% less damage from all attacks. 

if it isn’t going to have much offense it should have some level of defensive options. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be reworking a few little things to help balance it out a bit!

8 minutes ago, MisterLitera1 said:

Stupid question how do you upvote I don't see the prompt

You have to have 6 posts on your account in order to upvote submissions. Wildcard set up this restriction to prevent people from using bots to artificially boost votes. You can just post some comments on posts to meet the requirement.

On 7/7/2023 at 7:37 PM, DangerFloof said:

Personally, I don't think this would make sense for a few different reasons. My intention for the Chasmosaurus is for it to be a weaker, but faster version of the Triceratops given its "Adrenaline Boost" ability. I feel having it be smaller than a Trike would be a good way to signify this. Not to mention, Chasmosaurus in reality was actually significantly smaller than Triceratops.

Well to be fair the Rhynio was the size of a mosquito and in ark it is the size of a wyvern. And the trike is already a very weak dino so making it weaker than a trike would make it dilo level damage, i think it could be a larger ceratopsian than the trike. Idk tho.

On 7/7/2023 at 7:37 PM, DangerFloof said:

Well to be fair the Rhynio was the size of a mosquito and in ark it is the size of a wyvern. And the trike is already a very weak dino so making it weaker than a trike would make it dilo level damage, i think it could be a larger ceratopsian than the trike. Idk tho.